• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

need help, tactical 308

justyr1

hey all, need help in figuring out a build for a tactical 308. i've tried to read around here and it seems that DPMS has been thrown out a lot, but a few friends have pointed me in the direction of LMT and LaRou for complete builds. i know i want to build it from the ground up, and have a price limit of around 3k.  i've been shooting for a little while now, but haven't ventured into custom building anything, so i'm not terribly familiar with companies and who's good for what. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

first off, welcome, lets see if we can get you straightened out.

I have a Larue, it's the cats ass, but 3k is the entry price.

The Lmt is a little but not much less.

Now about building. With some mechanical knowledge and a couple tools you can build a sweet rifle for less than the above, maybe even have enough left over for optics. I would suggest using a Mega machine matching receiver set, they are so nice and will allow you more flexibility in your build.

Why don't you read up some, check out some pictures, get an idea of the barrel length, rail, and stock you may want to use and we can go from there. Also keep in mind where you live may restrict your choices.

I'd start with a Mega MA-Ten NiB billet set. Then find the first 16" midlength barrel I could grab and top it with a FSC30 (or a BattleComp BABC if that's in your budget). Add some Magpul furniture (MOE+ and UBR) for comfort. Cram a Geissele trigger in there with a NiB coated BCG and a BCM/VLTOR charging handle. Can't go wrong with a Troy Ind free float tube (although I'm a big fan of APEX Machine too). Don't forget to add a Battle Arms Development Ambi Selector Switch (BADASS), and one of Slash's heavy buffers!

Lastly, top that off with a EXPS2-0 and a flip to side x3 mag.

thank you for the welome.

i know i want something around 16" or 18" for barrel length, though i'm slightly more swayed towards the 16 for ease of movement. not terribly concerned with the extra distance as i already have a 308 bolt for that, though as i read in another post, another 2" for the amount of distance gain isn't bad at all. a full picatinny rail setup is also on the list. as for the stock im torn between PRS style and a Magpul UBR or MOE. i kinda invisioned the thing on the level of the SCAR-H as far as a all around capable AR, so thats kind of the direction of versitility i would like to achieve.

I hope the forum owner doesn't mind but here's a pretty good gallery including component list:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=439270

I just recently built an 18" upper that was primarily built with JP Components in mind.  It came out to 10lbs w/ optic.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "tactical", but for me it could mean something lightweight and handy w/ an aimpoint dot and detachable magnifier (for distance, this is for a .308 after all).  "Tactical" could also mean built for heavy duty with a quad rail for accessories.

Basics for a build for me would be barrel, trigger, optics.

Barrel:

JP Rifles

Fulton Armory Krieger Criterion

Lothar-Walther

Shilen

Rainier Ultramatch

Trigger:

AR Gold

JP Duty Trigger

Geissele Hi-Speed

Geissele SSA-E

Geissele S3G (try to get the heavier trigger spring for this, should make similar to the Geissele VTAC which is only available on VTAC rifles afaik)

Optics:

Many options but since you mentioned you have a bolt gun for long range, I'm going to stick to the Aimpoint w/ magnifier suggestion or going with a 1x-#x variable.  You could go with an ACOG but that eats a lot of your budget and they are not as versatile IMO.

As for receivers, I personally lean towards ones that are DPMS-pattern compatible since they appear to me to be more common.  Easier to just replace the whole upper.

This is how I look at it;

Hunting: Lightweight and portable. Most likely to only shoot 1-3 rounds in a row (depending on the shooter's ability <laughs> ). Still needs to be pretty tits on for accuracy. Not a lot of rail space needed. Simple optics due the job for most situations. No additional accessories required.

Tactical: Weight is only an issue when it hinders mobility. Needs to be able to fire lots of rounds with absolutely zero acceptance for failure. Rail space or a modular system is almost a "must" for this situation. Lights, lasers, gadgets, and gizmos... whatever fits your situation.

Target: Weight is your friend! This beast is only moving from the trunk of your car to the bench rest. Accuracy is the ultimate goal, and everything else can be sacrificed for more accuracy.

Without spending a LOT of money, the Rainier Arms 16" LW barrel... Otherwise the Rainier Ultramatch 16" barrel.

As for the BCG... I don't know any place that makes a .308 BCG with NiB coating. Instead I would just look for an inexpensive phosphate BCG, then ship it to www.WMDguns.com for the NiB coating. I think it costs about $100... I'm pretty sure at least one of our members has done this already.

awesome. i think i'll find a way to make room for the ultramatch barrel. also i htink i'm gonna go with an armalite BCG and innerds just to keep things standard and easy. other than that, the parts that you've previously listed look awesome and i think i'm gonna go with that set up. any other suggestions you guys might have?