• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

? on heavy buffer

seasprite

I'm wanting to put a heavy buffer in my DPMS oracle to slow down the extraction time on my rifle. Currently I have the O.E. one from DPMS and I'm getting an ejection at 1:00 to 2:00 along with some slightly bent rims on factory ammo and my reloads. To add to this my extractor broke at the  range the other day. In researching the heavy buffers I noticed different weights and wanted to know how to choose the best weight for my rifle? If I go to heavy will I beat up the locking lugs or start peening the barrel face or the bolt  <dontknow>

On a side note has anybody ever taken the weights out and replaced them with some lead shot to see how heavy a buffer you can run and can you run lead shot permanently in place of the weights in the buffer? Thanks guy's

keep in mind ar15 buffer's do not work in .308ar's. I just ordered three from out site sponsor Heavy Buffer's. If you call and talk to Clint, he can steer you in the right direction and answer your question's for you. I believe he may be out for the weekend, so maybe an email will be best.

I'm wanting to put a heavy buffer in my DPMS oracle to slow down the extraction time on my rifle. Currently I have the O.E. one from DPMS and I'm getting an ejection at 1:00 to 2:00 along with some slightly bent rims on factory ammo and my reloads. To add to this my extractor broke at the  range the other day. In researching the heavy buffers I noticed different weights and wanted to know how to choose the best weight for my rifle? If I go to heavy will I beat up the locking lugs or start peening the barrel face or the bolt  <dontknow>

On a side note has anybody ever taken the weights out and replaced them with some lead shot to see how heavy a buffer you can run and can you run lead shot permanently in place of the weights in the buffer? Thanks guy's

I thought heavy buffers commonly used tungsten, in which case lead would be lighter. 

I have Clint's CAR 10-XH heavy buffer & modified Armalite spring for .308 is the heavier 6.5 oz. buffer. Still, like your experience, I was getting bent case head rims, from the extractor, trying to run those CFE223 loads with the 168's. It was a warmer day that day and I wonder if the powder is temp sensitive? Because the same loads weren't doing this before on the cooler day.

Thanks guy's I'll contact Clint and see what he says.

I guess I learned something new today didn't realise that tungsten was heavier than lead.

NoFail, I take it that you have no problem cycling the lighter weight bullets like 147gr on down. Of course I probably won't shoot anything less than the 147gr.

As stated above an Armalite buffer spring is more heavier a spring rate, this will help. Also tungsten weights can be swaped out with the steel weights that are inside of your buffer. I have done this with AR15 platform guns to slow down the rate of fire.

Lead shot is not the answer.

T

I guess I learned something new today didn't realise that tungsten was heavier than lead.

Tungsten (kg/m3=19600) is denser than Uranium (kg/m3=18900). It comes closest to Gold (kg/m3=19320), but is actually only beat by one other metal, Platinum (kg/m3=21400).

Needless to say, but since Tungsten sells for about $2.50 per gram and Platinum sells for over $50 per gram... You can see why there are no affordable options to make a heavier buffer weight.

Was that too nerdy?

Thanks guy's I'll contact Clint and see what he says.

NoFail, I take it that you have no problem cycling the lighter weight bullets like 147gr on down. Of course I probably won't shoot anything less than the 147gr.

seasprite, I probably won't shoot anything lighter than 155. The lightest I have shot are 168. I've just started dabbling with 178's and had a few halfway decent groups with the CFE223 doing a little testing with 178 A-Max. The brass came out way better than with the 168 A-Max over CFE, and I shot the 178 CFE loads immediately after

the 168's. I don't know why it turned out that way but it did. I just picked up some 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for a different load with another powder to try. But I'm low on the CFE now so I need some to try more of it under the 178's, around those groups that showed promise. I think my barrel wants to eat heavier meals, but IMR 4064 and the 168 A-Max seems to go good together, single digit ES & SD and they group well, I know now with the new scope.

Try it sometime,

168 A-Max

43.5 grains IMR 4064 (it's 2 grains below book max)

Remington #9 1/2 LRP (is what I was informed to use)

2.800" but I want to work with the depths.

2505 fps average out of my 16" and SD of 3.5 fps  <thumbsup>

As stated above an Armalite buffer spring is more heavier a spring rate, this will help. Also tungsten weights can be swaped out with the steel weights that are inside of your buffer. I have done this with AR15 platform guns to slow down the rate of fire.

Lead shot is not the answer.

Thanks MikedaddyH, from the reserch that I've done so far the Armalite spring is a must. Now I'm woundering if I can get the tungsten weights instead of the whole buffer to save a little money since things are a little tight right now.

I almost missed this...

Plutonium (kg/m3=19816) is also more dense than Tungsten. Again, not a reasonable source for buffer weights  ;D

Thanks Robocop1051, I guess if I could only have small piece of the sun core 150,000 kg/m³  <lmao>

The reason I knew about tungsten being heavier than lead is from reading about some crooks plating bars of tungsten with gold and selling them as gold.

:o crooks will try anything won't they.

seasprite, I probably won't shoot anything lighter than 155. The lightest I have shot are 168. I've just started dabbling with 178's and had a few halfway decent groups with the CFE223 doing a little testing with 178 A-Max. The brass came out way better than with the 168 A-Max over CFE, and I shot the 178 CFE loads immediately after

the 168's. I don't know why it turned out that way but it did. I just picked up some 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for a different load with another powder to try. But I'm low on the CFE now so I need some to try more of it under the 178's, around those groups that showed promise. I think my barrel wants to eat heavier meals, but IMR 4064 and the 168 A-Max seems to go good together, single digit ES & SD and they group well, I know now with the new scope.

Try it sometime,

168 A-Max

43.5 grains IMR 4064 (it's 2 grains below book max)

Remington #9 1/2 LRP (is what I was informed to use)

2.800" but I want to work with the depths.

2505 fps average out of my 16" and SD of 3.5 fps  <thumbsup>

I've been wanting to try the 178s thanks for heads up NoFail, I'm going to continue testing and developing the 168 for now but I'll probably stay with the 47.1 charge weight just to keep from beating things up but man that 47.9 showed real good accuracy out at 200 yards so I might use it in limited circumstances and cooler weather. Thanks for the load with IMR4064 that is some impressive sd numbers there. I just might have to try that powder <thumbsup>

There's more than one way to skin a cat!!

I'm going to try to find a node in a reduced CFE223 charge with 168's. Some people think CFE is temp insensitive yet I've heard others don't think so  <dontknow>

I want to use it because the stuff comes out clean, and the velocities are great but maybe at the expense of our uppers and brass = wallets. We'll nail it somehow.

Yes those buffers are expensive. I cringed when I put out for mine, but your gun will run better.

• 1 month later...

I just swapped out the factory weights for high density tungsten powder I got off eBay for $20/lb. Original weight was 4.625oz and after the swap it weighed in at 7.5oz filled to capacity. Not as heavy as what you buy (9oz) for my RRA LAR-8 but pretty close to try out. cheap alternative. Still need to het to the range and give it a run.

I just swapped out the factory weights for high density tungsten powder I got off *See Site News* for $20/lb. Original weight was 4.625oz and after the swap it weighed in at 7.5oz filled to capacity. Not as heavy as what you buy (9oz) for my RRA LAR-8 but pretty close to try out. cheap alternative. Still need to het to the range and give it a run.

I'll keep it in mind but right now I'm testing an PRI adjustable gas block, just got it tuned last weekend now I need to get back out and see if the action is still going to cycle my ammo with the settings that I have.