• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mossberg 930 spx Blackwater 7+1 shot

telluwhat

I am excited. It looks like I am going to be getting a Mossberg 930 SPX Blackwater home defense shotgun. I gathered up some local prices and then mailed the shop that I wanted to buy from, asking him to give me his best OTD price. He beat the others by nearly $100.00! It will be about two more weeks before I have the $ to pay him but I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to open gifts. I already have a Mossberg 500 A but it is more for hunting. Has the long barrel and full choke and kicks like a mule but shoots a tight group. That one works good for hunting but the long barrel isn't the best for home defense / fighting in close quarters. One of the things the SPX has me pumped about is that it is a semi-automatic, short 18.5" barrel and holds 8 shells (7 if they are 3" shells).

Hot dog I can't wait :-)

post-1944-136297279808_thumb.jpg

That kind of stock is a poor choice for a gun with a top safety, you have to take your hand off the grip to move the safety.

I am used to it as my Mossy 500 has the same safety. I think there is a button near the trigger to indicate if it is loaded - not entirely sure about that, it is not a safety. Maybe someone can elaborate on this for me.

Here's a pretty clumsy video on the ghost loading procedure - it gets the point across.  In reality, it's easy to do. 

If it wasn't for those damn Choate tubes, this would be the perfect shotgun...  :o <laughs>

For all of you who have the 930, how many of what shell did you use to break it in? I have read that until it is broken in the lighter loads don't eject properly and cause jams. Now this information was dated many years ago so I am hoping that it is no longer the case and I can use a less expensive shot to break it in. I also hope that it doesn't take 200 shells either. When I saw that I was tripping and could only pray that it was either wrong or now corrected. Also does anyone know how long this model has been around?

I like shocking my buddies that shoot this thing...  I'll load a magnum slug first, then a bunch of #6, and let them try it out.  I always instigate, and shoot first, and empty it as fast as I can pull the trigger - all #6, of course.  <thumbsup>

What's fresh in their mind is how fast the shottie cycles - they're not paying attention to me loading up...

They go through pretty fast, liking the #6, and the last trigger pull is that magnum slug...  <laughs> <lmao>

Been around since about 2009, maybe slightly earlier.  When I started with mine, I put a 100-rd box of #6 through it, and have never had problems with it eating anything after that.  Never been an issue.

So when your breaking in a gun what exactly is going on whither the gun? I guess I am asking why do you have to break it in, what does it do? If t was a baseball glove I understand. I am still very new to firearms and trying to learn. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

All those action parts are new, have edges, springs haven't been cycled, etc.  You're just making all the pieces-parts work together for the first time.

Kinda like breaking in a new engine build - wear surfaces have to mate to each other.