• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BUIS height

Good evening ladies and gents,

So I decided hey I think another rifle is what I need in my life and began to look for some things. This time I plan to use iron sights. So heres the question, is there some sort of standard height and as long as the gas block is the same height as the receiver ill be good to go? I wanted to interchange the brands because I like the rear flip up MATECH or Knights 600M but havent decided on a front yet. Thanks in advance.

Depends on how you mount on the front.  Both those rears will line up, as long as you match the front.  High pic-rail gas blocks (very few) will take a same-plane front sight, as well as something mounted to the front of a rail/handguard setup.  If you get a lower pic-rail gas block, then you'll need a front sight designed for that height.  Several companies make them.

Bottom line - depends on what you do at the front, not at the rear.

As mentioned twice above, as long as the gas block picatinny is the same height as the receiver, you'll have more variety of BUIS' to choose from. Unless you have seriously thin/high cheek bones, stay away from micros (Troy, KAC, HK) as they were meant for weapons with a higher top rail like the HK416. The standard height M4 BUIS are set perfectly for a good cheekweld/sight alignment.

If it's going to be an iron sight weapon only, I'd look at Daniel Defense's fixed irons set-up.

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/fixed-front-rear-sight-combo.html

LMT makes good quality fixed sights as well though I prefer the lower windage adjustment profile DD's.

http://www.lmtstore.com/accessories.html?limit=all

Yeah, that was the one I kept forgetting who the mfg was.

Just keep this in mind if you go with the Troy HK style.

HK Diopter sights work so well because the front sight wings are round, and the rear aperature is round so your eye wants to automatically line them up, circle-in-circle. This makes for a quick sight acquisition. This work well because the front sight is fixed for elevation in the exact center of the circle.

The Troys have adjustable elevation front sights, so although you'd be able to line up your sights quick for windage, unless you're lucky your elevation will be off. Then you will have to take the time to center the tip of the front post.

Kinda defeats the purpose of the HK style really unless you just like the way they look. The Diamond ones are the same. Yeah it's intuitive to line those up, but worthless (unless at bad breath distance) if the tip of the front sight isn't exactly in the center.

Good thing Troy also has the M4 type wings as well.

ok things shouldnt be very difficult then because I plan on using something like the DD tube so that the top rail will be uninterrupted but getting the longer one and covering up a low profile gas block and putting a front sight on the end of the tube. I dont really know yet and am having a hard time figuring out which parts to use but thats kind of how I want. This will most likely be an iron sights only but I planned to use flip ups just in case I ever want to try some coyote hunting since I have this ATN aries just laying around or possibly a red dot of some sort. I like the idea of the circular front sight wings so im going to take a look at those. Thanks again for the replies, one more thing, and I hope its ok if I post it here, but does anyone know of some good mid length barrels that are in stock but not insanely priced? I plan to use a Fulton upper but their shortest barrel in 18''

Just to reiterate, the Troy's are NOT like the tried and true HK diopter sights. You may be able to line up the sights quick, but most likely will have to adjust elevation because the elevation is adjustable.

To each their own however.

I do agree, that I'd stick with flip ups because you never know if further down the road you want to mount an optic.

I use Troy DiOptic tritium battle sights on my 14.5" competition gun. This set has the HK style front sight. I think they are good sights and they shoot great, but for the money they are over priced. I get the same performance from my magpul MBUS sets. My last 3 sets of MBUS cost less than my Troy sights.

To be clear, I didn't say Troy's weren't quality sights. Obviously if you are taking your time lining up the sights, aiming at your target and doing your part, you will hit your target.

I have an HKMP5SD (converted from an HK94) that is fast and accurate due to the diopter set up of circle in circle with the front blade being exactly in the center.

My point is the don't assume these will be as fast and accurate as the HK diopters they emulate.

I was going to post links to other forums that expound upon this but thought that might be bad form. Instead I invite you to do a Google search for: Troy not the same as HK

Again I'm not bashing Troy's, I would just choose their M4 type front sights to cut confusion. I'm use to M4 sights more anyway.

Get the Gen 2's. The Gen 1's had the tendency for too much of the sight post to be exposed which is why they addressed it with the Gen 2's.

I don't mind the Magpuls, but an oft read complaint about them is they are bulky and the sights obscure a lot of target. I don't mind them though and will try and mod a set when I get home.

My hands down favorites are the KAC's. I like them because they fold down if hit, and are very sleek.

I like the Knights one also but after I read the post about the three sights tested I though to myself that thing looks tall and seems like it would easily bend if dropped. Im still considering it though, seen a decent priced one on ebay then I thought about pairing it with another brand I liked which is why I started this post because I was unsure of compatibility.