• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

whats your opinion of the swfa 20x scope

20x is great... If you plan on spending a lot of time at long range. I usually recommend x4 per 100 yards, but that's more for a tactical setting than a paper-killing/steel-thumping scenario. I usually max out at 9x to 12x, but I also never shoot beyond 300-400 yards.

If you're hunting with it. You may run into issues with field of view (FOV) under 300 yards. I don't know where or how you hunt. A 20x scope has about a 5' FOV @100yrds. Plenty to whack paper, but hard to track a warmer target.

SWFA has a huge fan base for the quality of scope though. If it fits your style of shooting I say go for it.

Purpose for the rifle?  Thats the scope I have on order, but itll be a couple weeks before i can hope to use it (hurricaine screwed up my next two weeks).  I know the 10x is a great piece of glass, especially for the money.  I have not looke through the 20 yet at any range past 60 feet, so cant say anything about that.  If you ever plan to do anything with it besides punch paper and steel, 20x might be a lot of scope, maybe even too much.  As far as the brand/model is concerned, i cant find any objective information that makes me want to buy something else.

Russ

Please post a review on the 20X once you've tried it out. Although, like most everyone else I know, I like the advantages that a variable power optic offers, I have been considering a high magnification fixed power scope also, for the purpose of bench testing my guns for accuracy. I know that a quality high magnification variable power will do that as well, but the scopes I've been looking at are more expensive than my guns, so the question for me is, do I go for a 20X fixed, or do I go for something like the Millett  LRS-1 6-25 X 56, to have something to use until I can afford some high end glass.

i want to shoot 1000 yards, but i dont know what my full intention is yet with this gun, i already own an eotech and a 5x magnifier(both in American defense mounts on my ar15) so i can do some shorter range stuff if i choose. also my 308 has troy buis on it already. i own the magpul series of blurays,(totally homo for those guys :limp-wrist:) i just purchased the precision rifle set 2 weeks ago and they take an 18" ar-10 platform semi auto out to 1 mile and smack steel in 2 shots, hell one guy did it first try with a bolt gun. anyway sorry for the ramble... i wanna shoot 1000 yards :sniper:

My clubs max range is 200yds. I have to go to another clubs range to get to 600. Anything more than that is hours away from me. I'd just like to see if the two guns I'm presently building will be sub MOA, And sub .5 MOA for the .308 AR at 200, off the bench. For that purpose, I don't think that a 20X will be a drawback. I realize that most of us don't use such powerful optics when shooting 200, but I'm looking to take shooter error out of the equation. I know that one of those shooting sleds would be the best way, but I'm not going to spend the money on that so the 20X, and a bipod/monopod setup will be the next best thing.

As soon as I'm able, will get as useful of an evaluation as I can manage (Im not a scope reviewer, only a shooter, which I find usually gives better practical information anyway).  Likely to be three weeks before I get out and put some real time in (assuming no issues with the cerakoting/building).  I don't have any high dollar scopes to compare to either beyond PAST experience with various leupolds, so the evaluation will be based on what i find with it's function through my eyes.

Russ

If you are going to buy a variable scope why not buy it ?

The $300 or so that you spend for the fixed power scope would be a substantial part of the price of a variable.

One I really like is the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/elite6500/654305MD/?CFID=43847318&CFTOKEN=92c27423a10e0f81-C010B654-B899-4E68-69209FEE8C02EEC0&

I found it here for the lowest price, about $700, sadly after I bought one  :'(

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/search.asp?keyword=bushnell+elite&search.x=14&search.y=5

That Elite would be a nice scope, and would cover pretty much all of me needs at this time. I guess I'll have to see if it's still available next month. (soonest I could cover that expense). I see that the offer different reticles, What makes you prefer the mil dot over the others?

That Elite would be a nice scope, and would cover pretty much all of me needs at this time. I guess I'll have to see if it's still available next month. (soonest I could cover that expense). I see that the offer different reticles, What makes you prefer the mil dot over the others?

Some more info on mil dot reticles

http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/the-mildot-reticle

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-mil-dot-reticle

i have the 3-9. the build quality is awesome and i could probably use it to bang together a small shelter if i was ever caught in bad weather. also...swfa is awesome and i could probably return it for a full replacement afterward.

they also have a decent trade in program. you can always buy the scope and trade it toward an upgrade at a later date. i traded a bunch of stuff and they gave me about what id expect to get selling stuff on forums.