• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Total noob...I'm about to dive in to my first build

tcoche

Your call - it's up to what you want to do in the long run.

Thanks! I am pretty sure I'm gonna order all these parts. It'll be fun plus I'll get to learn. I added everything up. Without the flash hider I'm at 1382. This way I get the rail, chrome bolt, chrome forward assist, pmags and rainier barrel! ;) It'll end up being a little more but I get what I want atleast.

Hi Tcoche    I was asking bout Si cause im a Mega man

but  Mega would be out cause it doesnt have forward assist. :) Wash

Oooops just saw you are wanting the trx 12 inch rail...thats not the one you want for the rainier barrel....the rainier is a middy gas system...so you want the trx extreme 13.8 battlerail which will cover the gasblock.. and look sweet...ive got three of these rainier middys all using the 13.8 trx......on second thought you could use the 12" if you wanted to

:) Wash

Hi Tcoche    I was asking bout Si cause im a Mega man

but  Mega would be out cause it doesnt have forward assist. :) Wash

Oooops just saw you are wanting the trx 12 inch rail...thats not the one you want for the rainier barrel....the rainier is a middy gas system...so you want the trx extreme 13.8 battlerail which will cover the gasblock.. and look sweet...ive got three of these rainier middys all using the 13.8 trx......on second thought you could use the 12" if you wanted to

:) Wash

The 12" should still hide a low profile gas block...I think. Damn thats something I forgot to add as well...a gas block! You're right 98Z5V. Lol!! I have some stuff to ponder. I put my laptop down so I wouldn't jump the gun and order. :D

You've got a lot to ponder - I wouldn't checkout that cart just yet, until you figure all this out.  <thumbsup>

The 98zman has gotchca back!  :) Wash

Oh by the way.....some very smart folks engineered the ar308 without the forward assist for good reasons...dont let that be your gotta have thingy....the 308 has some juice to it unlike the lil 223....so if the shell doesnt chamber on its own.....do you really wanna force it in the chamber?.....not me <dontknow>

my thinkin....go mega or go home <laughs> Wash

Oh really?? I thought because it is a mid-length gas system barrel that the 12" will work.

What barrel are we talking about now?  We're all over with parts at this time.

List the barrel you're thinking about...  but, at any rate, a 12" rail isn't going to cover a lo=pro gas block on a rifle gas system...  If it's a midlength gs system, 12" will cover.

Now, what barrel, at this point?... 

What barrel are we talking about now?  We're all over with parts at this time.

List the barrel you're thinking about...  but, at any rate, a 12" rail isn't going to cover a lo=pro gas block on a rifle gas system...  If it's a midlength gs system, 12" will cover.

Now, what barrel, at this point?...

My bad...the rainier barrel.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2688

well I said screw it!! I ordered the following items below. If I missed something necessary, please let me know. There are sooo many little pins, springs and what nots.  :D

Cant freakin wait!

-Rainier Arms Select™ .308 Barrel - 16 BLK

-Vltor VC-301 Extended Flash Hider 5/8"-24 Thread AR-10, LR-308 Matte

-Troy Industries 12" TRX Extreme Battle Rail LR-308 with Low Profile Upper Black

-DPMS Bolt Carrier Assembly LR-308 308 Winchester Chrome

-Del-Ton Gas Tube Mid Length AR-15, LR-308

-DPMS Gas Tube Roll Pin AR-15, LR-308

-Yankee Hill Machine Gas Block Low Profile Set Screw AR-15, LR-308 Standard Barrel 0.750" Inside Diameter Steel Matte

-DPMS Buttstock Assembly 6-Position Collapsible LR-308 Carbine Synthetic Black

-DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit LR-308

-Buffer Technologies Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer AR-15 Carbine 3-1/4"

-Badger Ordnance Tactical Charging Handle Latch AR-15, LR-308 Matte 

-MagPul MBUS Gen 2 Flip-Up Front Sight AR-15 Polymer Black

-MagPul MBUS Gen 2 Flip-Up Rear Sight AR-15 Polymer Black 

-x2 MagPul Pmag 20LR Magazine LR-308, KAC SASS/MK11 308 Winchester 20-Round Polymer Black

Unfortunately, it would not let me order my DPMS Upper/Lower. I do not have an FFL. So I will go down to my local gun shop tomorrow and place that order.  <thumbsup> ;D :D 8)

Disregarding the stories that I've heard about the FA being a bandaid that was added because the original M16s were jamming in combat (due to the Gov using different powder than the designers used) I read (maybe here) that a contemporary use for the FA in combat is so that the soldier can slowly release the bolt carrier to be quiet, and then push the FA to be sure that the bolts fully closed. Any of you military members know if there is any truth to this?

Unfortunately, it would not let me order my DPMS Upper/Lower. I do not have an FFL. So I will go down to my local gun shop tomorrow and place that order.  <thumbsup> ;D :D 8)

You can order a lower receiver, and not be your own FFL - you just have to have the lower shipped to your FFL.  Upper should have been able to ship to your house - no reason it can't, legally.

Look at Fulton Armory for the upper and lower. They will ship to your FFL. You'd have to send them a copy of that FFL, if they don't have it on file already.

The 98zman has gotchca back!  :) Wash

Oh by the way.....some very smart folks engineered the ar308 without the forward assist for good reasons...dont let that be your gotta have thingy....the 308 has some

juice to it unlike the lil 223....so if the shell doesnt chamber on its own.....do you really wanna force it in the chamber?.....not me <dontknow>

my thinkin....go mega or go home <laughs> Wash

THIS!!!!

I know you have been ordering the parts for your first build................Just one problem. You can't stop at ONE! I finished my first, it's an AR15, but jumped right in on the next, I went Mega Arms MATEN, man is that some beautiful machining. (got it thru the group buy here at 308AR) I was in the military for over 25years and never used the forward assist. My first AR has it, but not after that. And all my ARs are billet receiver sets. Good luck, and the rule is when it is finished you must post pictures.

Hey tcoche sounds like a pretty good parts list you have there. I was also thinking of the Rainier Arms barrel because I wanted shorter than 18.5 but still a heavy contour to use the 936 gas block I already have, plus I like the heavy barrel look. I didnt know the quality though so after this beast is built let us know how it shoots im curious. Also +1 on the Fulton barrels for a future build of yours possibly, I have one in 22 inch and am real pleased with it.