• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

anyone play with lever guns?

hollywood

My dad recently bought a Rossi ranch hand and he has tri focal lenses and can't see the small slot in the rear site. He has asked me to decide what to get and let him know. I told him I can use the sights fine, but he still wants me to research for him. Does anyone else have tired eyes and could reccomend a good sight options for a lever gun?

Thanks from me and dad

We been going to gun shows since I was 8-9. Once I got the hang of shooting I was beating him at the range. It was and still is being able to beat dad at something. He is not ashamed to admit it either. Looking at Skinner peep sight now. Might go with a fiber optic Frt to help give him as much aof an advantage as possible. 8)

Yup...I play with lever guns.  :<):):

A very popular up and coming peep is made by Skinner Sights.  You can remove the peep from the housing and use it as a ghost ring.

There are the old Williams sights standby.  Skinner's use the Williams size inserts too.

And then XS Sights makes lever gun sights as well. More of an express style.

XS also makes a Lever Rifle Scout mount, though not sure if they make one for the Rossi.

Jon

I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 Rem Mag.  I put a Simmons 3-10 x 44 MM on it.  The scope mounts are attached directly to the top of the receiver.  It needs a rail that extends out over the barrel so the scope can be set forward more.

Clearance for the bell of the scope needed the rear sight be removed and the dovetail slot got a filler installed.

This "Microgroove" rifle will not stabilize any bullet under 240 gr.  The best ammo I have found is handloaded 300 gr hardcast over maximum powder charges.  The result is not sterling even then.  Maximum OAL runs into available space for powder and bullet length problems.

The 240 gr and under,  my handloads or factory,  do fine in my Smith.  The 300 gr loading is too much for the revolver.

My newest lever guns are a set of Browning mod 94's in 22lr, 357mag and 44mag. They all have brass dot front sights with standard buckhorn rear sights.

I have several Winchesters, in just about every size and caliber imaginable. All original. The newest mod 94 is mfg pre 1950. All those old sights (buckhorn and adj peep) shoot circles around modern gun sights.

I've been very tempted to try out a cheap Rossi as a "truck gun". I'm specifically interested in their "Mare's Leg" repro in 357mag!

Marlins come drilled and tapped for mounts from the factory, have for a long long time.

But with that Ranch Hand he needs some sort of open sight, as it is a "handgun" with a lever ala "The Rifleman":  http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17

Think of it as a cowboy's version of the AR pistols so popular today.

Jon

Thanks guys. Definitely leaning towards the Skinner rear sight. I like the blk/gold option, and go whith skinners "shoot and see" if the frt site needs replacing.

Dad is getting to be a .45 cal hoarder. Rossi ranch hand 45lc, ruger Blackhawk w/.45acp and .45lc cylinders, a tommy gun .45acp, smith & wesson stainless revolver .45acp, colt 1911 gov't commander .45acp, derringer .45acp, .45lc/.410

I get email updates from another machinist (some would say he's "Mad") who is very close to finishing a DI 10mm using Uzi mags.

The difference between the RMW and the Olympic is that RMW is direct impingement and the Oly is blowback (like a semi auto pistol). The DI rifles chambered in pistol calibers are supposed to shoot a little softer.

Thanks guys. Definitely leaning towards the Skinner rear sight. I like the blk/gold option, and go whith skinners "shoot and see" if the frt site needs replacing.

Dad is getting to be a .45 cal hoarder. Rossi ranch hand 45lc, ruger Blackhawk w/.45acp and .45lc cylinders, a tommy gun .45acp, smith & wesson stainless revolver .45acp, colt 1911 gov't commander .45acp, derringer .45acp, .45lc/.410

Whatever you do then, do NOT show him the Mech Tech Carbine in .460 Rowland!

Jon

Whatever you do then, do NOT show him the Mech Tech Carbine in .460 Rowland!

Jon

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!    <laughs> <lmao>  Instigator...  ;D

The DI rifles chambered in pistol calibers are supposed to shoot a little softer.

The blow-backs shoot so damn soft, it's not even funny.  <thumbsup>  You'll own one of these after this October trip - you'll be so hooked...  :o

000_00701.jpg

I've been eyeing the Mossberg lever action recently.