• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New CMMG MK3 Lower - Looking for upper advice

brickz_va

Hi.  I'm a long time troll of some of the other well known forums and happened across this thread due to a new project.  I've built a number of typical AR15's and long range rifles over the past few years.  I thought I would dip my toe into the semi-auto long range rifle scene as an eager to learn hobbyist.  I got a great deal on an new MK3 lower and now I'm reaching out to my fellow forum members for advice on stripped uppers.  I've done the obligatory multi-day search of the posts at hand, but I'm still a little fuzzy on out of the box fit/function uppers available for the MK3.  I've read there CMMG, DPMS, and SI-Defense are most prominent.  Are there any manufatures that I should be also taking a look at?

Again thanks for the very informative posts and providing any bread crumbs in my new project's search for avalible parts. 

Hi Brick Glad to have you here!

although some of our members have had problems with their cmmg's and I myself would never have a cmmg after the way the factory treated our members...for resale's sake put a cmmg upper on it so its not a franken gun....but then again ive  have some franken guns on my ar15 platforms...do you care bout resale?    :)  Wash

edgecrusher - thanks for the input

washguy - sorry to hear the problems with CMMG (not sure exactly what they were - sounds like customer service strikes again)... I'm not thinking resale for this build, but I'm not apposed to a franken gun as it's for me to scratch that .308 itch.  I'd like to get a CMMG stripped upper, but I can't seem to find another source than on the CMMG site.  Any other places to find one?

Thanks fellas!

If it wasn't a built rifle by CMMG , its a so called Franken gun any way . IMO , you will probable be able to build a better rifle ,because you will have what you want in it as opposed to what they want in it .

One guy I shoot with has a CMMG 308  rifle , I liked it & has had no problems , but they do seem to have more than there share .

The Tactical Machining upper is a good choice . They are down the road so to speak from me & I just got one & it is real nice .I have it on a DPMS complete lower in the photo , but am leaning toward just getting a TM lower for it .

I can take a photo of it on my older CMMG lower , if ya want .

post-154-136297282286_thumb.jpg

post-154-13629728229_thumb.jpg

post-154-136297282293_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So after loads of research and trolling the postings around the Internet I gave in and ordered a DPMS A3 stripped upper.  I remembered that this was a project gun and worst case I sell the lower and get a matching DPMS lower.  I really have to thank everyone who responded earlier.  A noobie around the AR308 platform like myself would have been pissed off as soon as I mounted an upper without enough research.  Thanks again.

• 10 years later...

Right before the scamdemic, we found a SUN DEVIL upper that would fit my kid's CMMG lower.  It's a little snug and hasn't been fitted exactly yet. It doesn't take the forward assist (no problem) or a door for the ejection port (I'd prefer one though)  This summer I got him a 16" Ballistic Advantage barrel for it.  We're waiting to get a reaction rod to put it together.

Jarhead