• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Device Comparison

Robocop1051

I have a DPMS LR-308 with the long,  fluted, SS barrel.  No muzzle device,  no threading at the muzzle.  Factory rifle with small mods (trigger, grip, safety selector),  described and pictured elsewhere in this forum.

I put a Limbsaver butt pad on it,  needed to mod the pad a little.  There is effectively no felt recoil.

I do not know about muzzle flash.  I do not shoot at night.

My AR-15's have muzzle threading.  I use the A2 flash suppressors:  they are cheap; they suppress the flash and do some muzzle-rise limiting.  They protect the muzzle crown.

I bought the A2's to save money.  A flash suppressor feeds air (oxygen) into the stream of hot gas and burns the combustibles like a bunsen burner.  The flame is soft blue or not visible instead of looking like a napalm bomb explosion.  The paper targets and game animals do not care either way.  In my case,  only paper targets.

My AR-15's (two uppers,  one lower) do not generate enough recoil for me to notice.  Even when I try.  (Extensive discussion of my AR-15's in several threads in our sister forum,  Tactical22.net.)

When I shoot,  necessarily only at a public shooting range,  I wear reusable ear plugs that I put in my ears before leaving my car.  On the range & firing line (outdoor) I wear big ear muff protectors over ears  and inserted ear plugs.  It really does not matter much how loud or quiet your gun or guns may be:  all the other guns will harm your hearing without help.

A muzzle device that blasts shooters in adjacent lanes may get you asked to not shoot that gun or asked to not shoot at that facility again at all.  Where I shoot,  courtesy and consideration tag along right behind safety.

I noticed a difference on the 14.5 with the battle comp the small recoil that was their as on my 20"HBAR is next to nothing on the shorter barrel and 1.5 brought me to legal length.Still would like to put something on LAR-8 for quicker follow up and minimize recoil which isn't that bad.I always use hearing pro. noise is relitive when the guy next to you is shooting .338 or .300 win mag. <dontknow>

I am a HUGE BattleComp fan. I have the v1.5 on two of my 14.5" .223's (I have an extra v1.5 in my parts box) and I have the BABC on my 14.5" .300Blk. I also have the BABC for my .308.... but that is still in the works :P

These are Tactical Compensators, not flash hiders or muzzle brakes. All they do is reduce the muzzle climb to improve the time and accuracy between follow-up shots. The BattleComp series devices all have linear ports at the front. I believe these help reduce the muzzle flash, but does not eliminate it. As for felt recoil... I have hunted with .308 bolt rifles since I got my first one at 16 years old. I still use the same rifle I started with, and I have never had an issue with shooting it. I think there are better ways to reduce the recoil, other than a muzzle device. The technology is there, you just have to be willing to shell out the $$ to do it.

As for technology.... Currently I have a stainless steel bolt carrier for added weight, a Tubb flat spring and an Enidine hydraulic buffer. The upper receiver and complete BCG is all NiB coated. I also reduced the amount of gas through the system by installing a 17" carbon fiber wrapped barrel with a rifle length gas system. If the flat spring and hydraulic buffer combo doesn't give me immediate satisfaction, I'll look into an AR10 spring and Slash heavy buffer. The ONLY reason I don't have a Slash buffer now, is the weight. Ounces equal pounds, and I was trying to cut as much weight as I could without impacting the accuracy.

I noticed a difference on the 14.5 with the battle comp the small recoil that was their as on my 20"HBAR is next to nothing on the shorter barrel and 1.5 brought me to legal length.Still would like to put something on LAR-8 for quicker follow up and minimize recoil which isn't that bad.I always use hearing pro. noise is relitive when the guy next to you is shooting .338 or .300 win mag. <dontknow>

something ive been wanting to do also ive been haveing shoulder issues the past two-three years and running a box thru the gun has really been kicking my ass. idk where to even start, and alot of the breaks ive seen are just the break id like to see what they look like on a rifle. or they just look like some gigantic piece of metal i dont want mounted on my gun. was thinking this or buffer?!

Battle comp is a nice product brother shepp,and looks good on rifle.Not a break and does work for hiding flash like vid said.I give the product a  <thumbsup> Battle arm dev [one of the sponsers] has a break that looked good.  http://*See Site News*/muzzle_devices  Then I  found this the 12 hole device looked interesting.  http://ar15performance.com/muzzle_devices

Did I hear right brother Rob, that you could put a suppressor over the BABC? Thought they said 2.0 is that different from the other models? <dontknow>

The v2.0 is the only one I know of that is commercially available.... Although, if you have the $$$, I know they have the technology....

Here are three examples of their "prototypes"....

post-189-136297282267_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking on what I want the rifle to do and the answer I come up with is being able to keep the sights on target for faster follow up shots. So as I research out what I want to buy what should I be looking for in a comp? Large holes on top to prevent muzzle rise and what about accuracy will any of these affect it and what kind of effect if any? If it just changes POI without opening the groups up I think I can live with that. And do different manufactures have different threads cut on the barrel or is it an industry standard where there all the same? Thanks guy's

99.999% of the AR308 barrels are threaded 5/8"x24. I wouldn't worry, unless you buy your barrel from some obscure place.

As for barrel comps... If it's in your budget, you can't beat the BattleComp series. If you have a budget, check out the PWS FSC30.

Thanks, thats good to know about the barrel threads, as far the budget goes I ended up getting a Giselle SSA trigger when the wife wasn't looking maybe I can do it again :rant2:

• 2 weeks later...

The JP brake pictured above will absolutely eliminate recoil and muzzle rise in a light recoiling rifle like a 308.  A note of caution though.  Don't even shoot it once without really good hearing protection.  The blast from the pressure wave coming back at you is stunning.  Don't shoot it when anyone is beside you on the range either; it will be even worse for them.  Mine caused my groups to open up a bunch but I suspect that was just another quirk of my CMMG, probably affected the barrel harmonics.  They do make your rifle look awesome.