• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

my 308 bushy failed to extract

J2L4U

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just went and shot my 308 and it failed to extract a bullet and this is not the first time this has happened. it was cleaned oiled the whole nine yards. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi J2      new gun? what kind of ammo? what stock...buffer ect? so the shell case remains in the chamber after going bang...and then what happens with the next round thats getting fed  or you talking bout loading only one round in mag?  Wash

Its bout year old bushy clapse stock 16" barrel, 150gr sst hornidy,and sum 145 monarch steel, stock spring, hydrolic buffer,just put an adjustable gas block havent adjusted the gas yet. also did this before the adj.gas block. Put bout 40 rounds before it started the problem. I polished the chamber and looked at the extracter everything looks normal. I looked at the spent bullet and it has a scar like it tried to grab the case.

First - steel cased.  What are you shooting?

Need some pics of the same kind of failure on brass-cased ammo, and if it does the same thing.  If it does the exact same thing, then your extractor doesn't have anough tension, and you need to o-ring/d-ring the extractor spring.

Really need to know what that ammo is...  Didn't know Hornady SST 150 was steel.

EDIT - I get it, that's the Monarch steel cased.  Put up a pic of the Hornady SST 150s... 

The ammo of the picture is Monarch 145 gr. on the brass it nix it alittle and bends it slightly don't have picture of that yet going tomorrow to adjust the gas block if it does it I'll post a picture where can I get those parts at I've looked every where 308 is slim

Got that part, brother - we were probably posting/as I was editing, at the same time.

Need to see those same pics of what it's doing to the brass-cased ammo.  Leave the gas block alone, with the brass-cased, or you're completely changing what's going on - it might not have anything to do with gas pressure, here.  If you change that gas pressure, then any answers you might get here - are starting from ground zero.

Make sense?  Shoot some brass, exactly as the rifle/gas is, with what it did to the steel cased stuff.  <thumbsup>

That's not messed up brass - it looks great.  You don't have extractor marks on that like you have on the steel-cased.  You have ejector marks, but you're always gonna have that - your ejector marks look damn good. 

You need to stop shooting that steel-cased Monarch through your rifle, if it's causing problems for you.  One question, here - did the brass cased Hornady SST 150 give you any issues with feeding, extracting, ejecting?...  The brass you've pictured show no signs of that.

Tight chamber, sounds like - which is not uncommon in a DPMS .308.  Which is what the BM is.  With brass, if it's giving you issues, have a gunsmith look at the chamber dimensions, and possibly ream it to spec.  <thumbsup>

Bet that thing will shoot better after that. 

Did you have the same extraction issues with the brass-cased Hornady?  If not, there might not really be a chamber-dimension problem here.  If those extraction issues were minor with the Hornady, compared to some major issues with the steel-cased, then the extractor o-ring thing might work wonders - it's it's not already o-ringed on your rifle.  <thumbsup>

My friend, me thinks you need to study up more on your weapon, how it functions and the nomenclature of it's parts and ammunition.

It is the cartridge case that is failing to eject.  The "bullet" is the projectile and only the projectile.

It is fairly well known that DMPS guns do not like steel lacquered cased ammunition.

It concerns me that you do not know what or where your extractor spring is.

It may seem like I'm nit picking but we are talking about a serious weapons system and using proper names for the parts and processes will avoid confusion.

Learning how the weapon functions will go a long way toward understanding what is happening or not happening when there is a stoppage or a malfunction.

Please take the forgoing in the spirit of assistance and education as I intend it.

TG

well, I did not ask this question to get insulted I know where the spring goes and I have taken apart quite a few ar 15 and 308s yet to see an oring in any of them. The questions that I ask is me studying up on things if u don't ask u will never learn. Its also nice just to get a straight answer. So if u can't give it to me this discussion is obviously over . But thanks for your help so far.

First , when you load one round in the mag. & fire it , does the action ( bolt carrier group )lock back by the bolt stop ? This is just to see if the action has enough gas ,to work it properly.

( I do not like steel cased ammo & nor will a DPMS rifle & others )

It still sounds like the chamber is too tight or more likely too rough & its holding the case in the chamber  & striping the extractor off the rim of the case.

The rifle could be over gassed & is retracting the action before the case has lost enough pressure to release it from the chamber (still expanded in the chamber from firing )

Yea after I put the steel round in the other day to check if I lined up the wholes in the new adjustable gas block I used one round and it locked back but just didn't extract the case. I have a dpms 223 oracle that haven't jammed one time and I put about 600 round through already no jam. I'll try to find an upgrade spring and give that a shot. trial and error I guess.