• Visit Sportsmans Guide

my 308 bushy failed to extract

J2L4U

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has failed to eject on multiple occasions.  Changed out the buffer spring and buffer from Clint.  Swapped out the ejector spring with a Sprinco spring set.  Run it soaked in Mobil 1.  Using p-mags.  Not sure what left to do.  Maybe polish the chamber.  I've been using a milspec magpul stock.  Thinking about putting the stock buffer tube back on and swap out the aftermarket and stock buffer spring/buffer.  If none of that does it, back to the gunsmith.  My AR-15 was a PIA at first, but lube, new buffer, and a few hundred rounds got it running great.  My LR-308 is driving me nuts.  I would definitely not stake my life on it in an emergency situation.

I did change out the gas block for a YHM folding front sight gas block.  I do not think that has contributed to the issue (at least I hope not.)

Was it fired before this change?  Did it work, before the change?

Did you get the new gas block lined up right over the gas port in the barrel? - sometimes, if you mount the gas block up against the shoulder of the barrel, and the holes ain't quite right, you'll block gas pressure.

Need more answers... 

The only way I have found to make sure gas holes are lined up is by measurement. I use any thing that will give a some what tight fit in the holes ( different size drill bits work ) & insert it in the hole & measure to the shoulder or end of the gas block , which ever you are taking the measurement of  &  that will tell you where the to set the gas block .

Of course, a good dial caliper( or digital , as I use ) is the best way to check measurement.

You can also be off side to side , it doesn't take much.

Some gas blocks are set up for a gap , between the gas block & barrel shoulder stop for the gas block , for the hand guard cap , some don't & need to be set up against the barrel shoulder.

The only good thing is that the gas block , gas orifice is always a hair larger than the gas port in the barrel , so it gives you a little fudge factor.

I'm with 98 , it may be a tight chamber or rough one .( a DPMS trait on some chambers )

Was it fired before this change?  Did it work, before the change?

Did you get the new gas block lined up right over the gas port in the barrel? - sometimes, if you mount the gas block up against the shoulder of the barrel, and the holes ain't quite right, you'll block gas pressure.

Need more answers...

No, never fired it prior to the gas block change. Kind of regretting it now, since I'm not sure if the problem was created, or was there from the start.  I had my gunsmith install the block, so I'm going to assume it is lined up correctly on the port holes.  If the o-ring doesn't fix things, I'm going to take it back to him to polish the chamber and check the gas block.  I should have known better and not made any mods until I shot it, but I wasn't expecting to have to deal with an issue like this.

Well, the direction I was going was at "change."  If it worked before and didn't work after, first thing to look at is "what changed?" 

Since that's not the case, assume the gas block is correct.  Go after the notorious DPMS rough chamber, first.  Obviously, verify that the gas block is correct, but the chances are that it is.  <thumbsup>

Well, the direction I was going was at "change."  If it worked before and didn't work after, first thing to look at is "what changed?" 

Since that's not the case, assume the gas block is correct.  Go after the notorious DPMS rough chamber, first.  Obviously, verify that the gas block is correct, but the chances are that it is.  <thumbsup>

You had a good point on the change thing with the gas block.  I know better to mess with stuff before modifying, so I should have left it bone stock to verify any issues.  I'll do the o-ring deal, see how that works, then on to the polish of the chamber and checking of the gas block.  I'll let you know the results.  Thanks for the ideas.

Got some polishing paste from my gunsmith, rod, and chamber brush.  Going to polish it up this week.  Also, I put the stock buffer tube, buffer, and buffer spring back in it.  After I get it polished, I'll go and see how it shoots. If it is still having issues, my gunsmith said he'd check out the gas block.  If we have too, we'll put the stock one back on it and try that.  What a pain in the ass all this is.  I only have myself to blame for not shooting it first before I started tinkering with it.  Glad you guys are around to dispense with the advice, because I would have sold it already.

Ok, so I polished the chamber, and put the original buffer tube, buffer spring, and buffer back on the gun.  Got the donuts for the extractor spring, but didn't put them on as I have a sprinco extractor spring that has another spring inside it.  Took it to the range.  Shot off 10 rounds of Federal 168 grain .308.  Swapped out my p-mag, and starting going thru that mag and had a FTE.  Cleared and shot the remaining rounds.  Grabbed a handful of some Brazilian 7.62 147 grain, and loaded them up.  Every round was an FTE with a new round jambed into the bottom of the spent casing.  Shot a single round by itself.  Bolt locked to the rear on the empty mag, but the casing was still inside laying on top of the magazine.

Pulled out some Remington 180 grain .308.  Zero FTE's.  Worked like a champ.  I would shoot a few rounds of that, and put in the 168 Federal, however these started FTE'ing every round too.  So it appears with the heavier grain bullet, no issues.  Lighter grain, FTE's galore.  On a side note, I can tell a big difference using the stock buffer and buffer spring compared to Slash's Heavy Buffer and buffer spring.  I'd love to use those instead as they cut the recoil way down, but I'm trying to get back to stock to work thru this problem.  My gunsmith told me he could put the stock gas block back on if need be to try and figure out zee problem.  Any ideas?

The extractor seems ok.  Not sure about the ejector. Both seems to work on rounds that have heavier bullets  The extractor does grab onto the brass of every type of ammo I've ran through it, but not all of the casings eject out of the gun.  1 round loaded magazines with ammo that I'm having the FTE problems with, always have the empty casing sitting on top of the magazine.  The jam comes when I put mags with multiple rounds in it, and it tries to strip the next round to insert into the chamber, and the spent casing hasn't ejected.  Thinking of putting the donunt on the ejector springs.  I am going to take it to my gunsmith and have him check it out.  I'll probably have him put the stock gas block back on.  If it still has issues, then I'll get an adjustable one.  Seems that most of aftermarket parts I've got for it are ending up back in the toolbox.  Might have to have a yardsale when I get this thing figured out.

Fixed!  Put in my Slash heavy buffer and buffer spring, slicked it up with Mobil 1, and....wait for it....I put in the o-ring around the extractor spring.  The thing works like a champ now.  Shoots everything that I ran thru it before, except now it ejects the casings between the two and three o'clock position.  Can't believe it took some engine oil and a small ass o-ring to get it to run.  Anywhoo, thanks for all the advice that was given, and that I gleaned out of the forums here.

EN