• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

world wheelstand comp. byron Il (pictures)

shepp

years ago the motorcycle stunt team i was/am a part of started doing shows at byron drag way in byron il. At the end of the year we were invited to do a show for "the world wheelstand comp." i had never seen anything like it before in my life. first these guys are taking cars big heavy old cars and running 7-9sec 1/4 miles in them. but thats not enough, for this day there is a part were they take these high powered cars and see who can keep their car on the rear tires the longest with out totally destroying their cars. well over the years guys have retired and what not from the group and now its just my best friend Ryan S. and who ever he desides to invite that year to ride the bikes. i would never miss this show its amazing the guys normally dont ride long or much but they are insureance incase there is some down time.

this year wasnt supper eventful but still a damn good show!

i love impalas

IMG4715-M.jpg

there is also a class of dragsters that have an unwritten rule of the front tires have to leave the ground on launch so there are alot of pictures like this also

IMG4755-M.jpg

IMG4900-M.jpg

turbo challenger

IMG4919-M.jpg

IMG4946-M.jpg

turbo busa

IMG5029-M.jpg

my buddy Ryan S, 5 years ago the 10th he was hit on his way home from work on his bike, and struck by a women cutting tight on a 15mph corner they put the blame on him but enough of you guys know when you hit a 15mph corner on a gixxer 1000 and your on the inside there's no reason the car on the outside should come close to hitting you. his left foot was so bad they ended up taking 6" more up his shin, compounded his femur, clavical, few vertibre and had skull fractures. his helmet saved his life, along with a man who used his belt to tie off his leg whom hes still looking for today. he now has a prostedic and still rides, hunts and whatever and more he did before.

IMG5039-M.jpg

enough of that poop, these are the wheel standers

IMG5146-M.jpg

this guy got alil kattywhampass and ended up losing his wheel

IMG5165-M.jpg

IMG5166-M.jpg

IMG5170-M.jpg

IMG5183-M.jpg

IMG5248-M.jpg

this guy ended up winning longest wheelie going an 1/8 mile

IMG5303-M.jpg

this guy is a legend you may have seen him on tv ive seen him put this car on its lid at least twice

IMG5338-M.jpg

IMG5370-M.jpg

IMG5371-M.jpg

IMG5372-M.jpg

lift off

IMG5452-M.jpg

there are alot of sequences of the wheelies in the gallery if you would like to see more:

http://nshep79.smugmug.com/Other/byron-wheelstand-2012/25924188_jRMNKp

enjoy

Great pic bro,back in the day it was "lill Red Wagon" Mr. Norm I believe put on some of those shows in Chi/Midwest area.

i saw the LIL red wagon down there a few years ago. there are a group of old drag car guys from the mid west who went to the west coast back in the 60's and 70's from the mid west that would pay guys to come here and race. the owner of this track is one of those guys (Ron Leek) he and a guy that when buy the name of Broadway Bob (who past away this year). not that im big into drag racing but there is alot of history with ron and some older guys who come to this track. Arnie "the farmer" bestwick is and other, if you saw his car you'd prolly reconize him back in the day he ran the GTO's with the tiger paint jobs.

I saw a lot of racing: pro, amateur, drag, track, two-wheel and four-wheels.... Never did I see a wheelie so massive that 3 wheels came off the ground! That's amazing!

look at that germlin againall thats keeping him from blowing over is the rear bumper LOL

thats one thing about being part of the stunt team that i am very fortunet for. ive been to numerous drag strips around the mid west, places i would never go normally. ive stood 15' or less from Tony Pedragons top fuel dragster in cordova Il, when he his the gas it vibrated every bit of my body it was insane. One time in cedar rapids Iowa i was alil to close to shockwave that semi tractor with the three jet engines and was damn near melted LOL. ive even gone to shanghi china for the Moto GP.

im glad you guys enjoyed the pictures thanks:D

shepp - this is one of the ones you posted - you can definitely see the "beginning stages" of some very serious torque happening here.  <thumbsup>

IMG4919-L.jpg

Rear tires - left starting to squash, full sidewall on the right one.  Love it. I'd love to drive a beast like that.  <lmao> <laughs>

Was with my buddy out in front of the highschool during lunch one day, sitting in his uncle's GTO convertible with a 400.  Sitting about two car lengths behind us was a lime green charger with tires on the rear like that.

We got done talking to whoever and Steve does a single-wheel burnout up to the stop sign, where he was waiting for traffic to be able to go.

Then the Charger lit up both rears in a display that would make Don Garlits proud...full on burnout right up to the GTO's bumper, immense cloud of burnt rubber smoke wafting into the apartments, totally obscuring the people we had just been talking to.

I looked at Steve, then he finally looked over and said "Wow!  Would you look at that!"  <lmao>

Fun stuff

Jon