• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I give up

jon308

Thank's  I feel alot better about my rifle like I said it has never failed, well when I first bought it I wasnt giving it enough lube, but after that issue its been great, I will go ahead and do to it what I want and quit asking shops to do it. And its true nobody seem's to work on them, they would rather sell you another one. I haven't quit look's like I just started. THANK'S

YEAH BUDDY ! THAT'S WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!

Right on brother. Trust me, by the time you're done modifying it, you will probably know just as much if not more than anyone you'd trust to do it for you anyways. The key is to not be afraid to ask. There are quite a few knowledgeable people here (and an AR guru no less), and I wouldn't hesitate to undertake ANY project on my ARs with their help.

I'm glad my plan didn't backfire - didn't want you to give up on your rifle, but I didn't want to to put all your informational backing in what that LGS was saying.

Keep that rifle, modify it how you want, and it'll work well for you.  <thumbsup>

Another vote for the people on this site! You can find help for any question you have. I started here by reading everything and learned so much. I had never built an AR or any other rifle for that matter, but I learned and now on my 3rd build. I am enjoying the hell out of this. And the fact I am getting sub MOA at 100 yards doesn't hurt either.

TRUST YOUR BROTHERS HERE AT 308AR,  <thumbsup>not the LGS sales people. :cookoo:

Greg

BTW, Thank you all for your help in so many ways.

Another vote for the people on this site! You can find help for any question you have. I started here by reading everything and learned so much. I had never built an AR or any other rifle for that matter, but I learned and now on my 3rd build. I am enjoying the hell out of this. And the fact I am getting sub MOA at 100 yards doesn't hurt either.

TRUST YOUR BROTHERS HERE AT 308AR,  <thumbsup>not the LGS sales people. :cookoo:

Greg

BTW, Thank you all for your help in so many ways.

Hey brother, we live for this stuff. I'm thrilled that there's a community here to help inform decisions about something I wouldn't have learned much about otherwise.

<lmao>  I'm gonna poop my fuckin' pants if I find out his local dealer is the Gun Gallery, in Jax, and he's been talking to Neil for all his info...  :o

I'll be such the ass for that...  <laughs>

Would that Jax , be Jacksonville ,Fl. ?

jon308

If you are unsure of your capabilities , it is a good idea to ask here on what procedures are needed to replace or upgrade some thing.

There's not much we haven't been through or can't figure out , but some things are beyond some owners capabilities & should seek out a good gunsmith.

You are right about finding a shop that specializes in AR's ,of any type . Some think they are , but fall short of it .

OK another can of worms, I did pick out some things I think I would like, First off I want a 12" hand gaurd ffom Troy I have older model with raised flat top. I want HG rail to be same height as this. Will I need low profile gas block, Also want get over size houge grip and Heavy buffer and spring, Mag pul I think butt stock.  Are these changes I can make and if so what do I need for tools. Is there a good video for this, Thanks in advance

You have a DPMS 308T, right ? There is a measurement around here some where for the right rail heights of the DPMS AR Rifles , that measurement will tell you what rail height of a hand guard will work for ya.

Normal hand tool's will accomplish almost all replacement needs ., Unless you buy a hand guard that requires the removal of the barrel nut or a screw on hand guard that is the barrel the barrel nut , you may need a vice or something to clamp a vice block for the upper receiver for there removal .

Bill has done some good work on my triggers.

Go to Brownells web sight & they have video's on just about every thing on AR's.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with my lgs when I bought my lr 308. I had a friend pick the rifle up for me on the first election of our great destroyer of liberty. Upon receiving the rifle I was immediately struck with black rifle disease. I went to the lgs to shoot the breeze and to see what I could find out about my purchase. All he told me was to get rid of it because it wasn't an m1a and anything that didn't say Springfield on it was junk. Thing was, I already owned an m1a scout model and I could already see the that the dpms was superior in simplicity and all around use. After shooting it with surplus ammo I could see that it was also more accurate. In the 3-4000 rds fired since then I have had NOT ONE malfunction and no loss in accuracy (1/2 moa with handloads).

Another point brought up in this post is that dpms are not "battle proven". Well, the only weapons that are battle proven are being employed by troops in a theatre of war. You could buy the LMT but your rifle will never see "battle" (at least I hope not for your sake) so it won't be battle proven either. Remember, these are built by humans so no matter what brand you buy you could always get a lemon. I personally have taken my lr with me every fishing season since I bought it and have put it through conditions that no fine rifle should be put through (70 mph wind storms in sand dunes on the Bering sea coast, dropped in salt water, forgetting to oil the rifle once a week etc) and never had a problem. Heck I even shot it full of sand to scare a brown bear away from some walrus tusks! To each their own but the best opinions to listen to are your own. I now have over 3000$ invested in my dpms and would put it up against any higher priced equivalent. Good luck and happy shooting!