• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1000yd with which SMK?

Steel Rain

Hello all I'm new to the site. I have LAR-8 Predator 20" 1:10 twist. So far I've been able to load 168 SMK, 44.3 & 45.7gr Varget, Fed 210M, COAL 2.8, Win Brass, and get 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. No chrony data. Question, can I get enough MV out of the 175 SMK to perform better at 1000 yds than the 168 SMK? I see the limiting factors as my 20" barrel and COAL limitation. I have searched the net and found a plethora of data for bolt guns but not much for AR. Your insight is appreciated. Have a good one.

I don't see any reason why you couldnt.  I've watched the M110 (made by KAC with a 20" barrel for the military) shoot 1000 yards with mass produced ammo.  I would think it'll be perfectly fine, especially if you're doing the loading yourself.  You can probably get a bit more MV out of your own than what they get.  (I don't have hard numbers, nor do i intend to imply Im an expert, only passing along so you feel a bit more comfy when you start loading them up).  Will it perform better than your 168?  Again, no hard facts, but with the better BC (however small) it might more than make up for the velocity loss, or it might not, at that range, but I don't see how it would be any worse.

Russ

The 168 MK is not suited for 1,000 yds, maybe out to 800yds only. The 175 at 2650 will make it to a 1,000 just fine. Varget 43.0, WW case, 210M loaded OAl 2.800 out of my LR308 24ibch was 2600FPS. No reason why 43.5 or 44.0 wouldn't work. Another bullet to try is the 185 Berger, it has a higher BC as well. I tried 43.5 varget with the 185 Berger and it was to hot, had one pierced primmer.

But with a 20 inch barrel, getting a lot of speed is hard to do. The AMU used much hotter loads than I tried, but their budget is way more than I can afford.

Question, can I get enough MV out of the 175 SMK to perform better at 1000 yds than the 168 SMK?

The 168 MK is not suited for 1,000 yds, maybe out to 800yds only. The 175 at 2650 will make it to a 1,000 just fine.

Ballistic Coefficient is the answer.  168 won't do it.  175 will.  Because of the ballistic coefficient between the two projos.

Muzzle velocity is not necessarily the answer, here.

Your rifling twist may have some thing to do with bullet choice.

MV is not always the answer.

Powder , primer ( maybe a mag primer ? ) & right bullet , you will need to experiment with different ones to coexist with your barrel , all barrels/chambers will like different combos of bullets/powder & in most cases bullet speed.

Shooting a 1,000yds accurately take some effort, rifle, ammo and the shooter has to be spot on. I have seen M-14 blow up on the 1,000 yd line with ammo to hot. You can push your gun only so far. A 1-10 twist will spin a 190g Mk just fine as well, 2500 FPS should be about the limit. Curious what your goal is, just to do it, been there done that or going to a competition? 

My goal is to shoot to 1k. I want to work my way out so that I can shoot a target consistently  at that range. Mostly paper, but if I can hit paper at 1k then I should be able to hit bambi at 500 effectively. My friends are shooting 1k+ with 338 calibers and bigger. I'm too cheap to feed a gun that big so I'm sticking with the 308. Today I worked up some loads and best was 175smk, 210M, Winchester Brass, 2.80, and Varget 4x grains. All three rounds were touching. Best I was able to get with the 168 smk was .5moa. Now to shoot through a chrono to see what my MV is so I can get some tables printed up.

Just want to throw this out there. How about using a 155gr AMAX or 155gr Lapua bullet loaded HOT with Superformance , out of a 24" barrel the muzzle velocity should be close to 3000fps. BTW this powder is ok to use IF you have a rifle length gas system in your gun. If your are" Scared " of this powder try another powder.  Thats my 2 cents.

Loaded 20 Sierra GameKing 180gr with 47.0gr of H4350, CCI 200 primer in 1X Win cases to a height of 2.800" to 2.810".

The bullet is 1.2820" with a boat tail profile and a soft lead point.

I'll save this for the next trip to the desert. Need to get a better range finder the one we use is good for 800 yards.