• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 AR Build - Sub MOA

Tkopper

Hi there everyone. I'm new here and excited about building my first AR in 308. My main use of this rifle will be for deer hunting/target shooting so I am considering barrel of 18 inches or so to keep it light and compact without degrading performance of course. My biggest concern of course is accuracy, I want sub MOA groups out of the build keeping great accuracy at further yardage as well. So I am all ears for tips and suggestions. Below are the parts I am leaning towards so far...

JD Machine Billet Receiver set - I read nothing but superb reviews on this.

MEGA ARMS MA-TEN Receiver set - Same thing with JD set, looking good.

Magpul PRS stock

Magpul PMAG 20LR - Which I believe is compatible with both JD and MEGA... I hope.

Deciding on JD or MEGA receiver sets is killing me lol.

That's what I got in mind so far... As far as barrels,triggers,bolts and such, I am still hunting.

Pet peeves of mine are that I want a quad picatinny rail Handguard (free floated) A muzzle break, and a fluted heavy barrel if very accurate. I don't want to skimp on anything. Well that's a wrap so far, looking forward to everyone's advice! Thanks, Tom.

But don't let that sway any decisions too much.

That sways every decision.  It's everything to do with it.

If you'd said 100~150, I'd tell you to but 5.56, with a specific bullet in mind.

That really does have everything to do with it. 

Hi Tkopper  I have 3 mega ma 10 's  and ive built 2 more for my friends.  ill put the mega's up against any lower /upper

fit and finish is awesome...you get no surprises when you go to build. ive used the rainier 16" and 18" barrels on all builds.

they all shoot sub moa out to 500 yds....these are the select barrels too... not the match grades

Ive been having more fun with the 16" lately shootin steel with

all these guys with their big azz 20 pound rifles and me bangin the hell out of the steel at 500 with my lil mini me 308

dont get hung up on the bull barrel syndrome! <thumbsup>

Wash

Your right.

I just want this gun to give me .5 MOA or so with an 18" barrel chambered in 308 or 7.62x51.

So are the two receivers I listed good candidates?

Both those receiver sets are awesome, but for personal reasons, I'd go Mega if it was my build.  I have one of the billet 5.56 ambi lowers, and I'll be getting the stripped upper for it - amazing quality.

For a shelf barrel, on the 18" range, you can't beat Fulton Armory.  18.5" stainless medium contour barrel, made by Criterion.  Damn great barrel.  Will it give you .5 MOA?  You'd really have to do your part.  That barrel is probably capable.  Call Fulton Armory and talk to Clint about that.

For a guaranteed .5 MOA, you might need to look at custom barrel makers. 

500 Yards... Damn nice!

Yes I have been thinking hard about going with the Ma-Tens as I've seen more reviews on it then the JD, all being awesome.

As far as barrels.. I have been considering Fulton and the DPMS SASS 18" bull.

DPMS scares me a little since I read a few times that their more entry level equipment. But that SASS looks ok. Krieger I here are one of the best but a bit pricey.

Next on my list is bolt carriers, got any ideas that will work best with the Ma-Ten receiver?

I haven't seen this mentioned, but I'm thinking that if you're planning to use the gun for hunting, where carrying it for distance might be involved, and you'd like it to shoot sub moa out to much longer distance than 500-600yds, the two goals might not call for the same barrel type/contour. If you really want the gun to excel at long range (rested?) then the heavy contour/longer barrel becomes more important, along with a tight chamber (read custom barrel) and load developement. if, on the other hand, you are willing to accept that your gun won't outshoot your buddys bench rest bolt gun, a med contour 18" barrel with a slightly larger chamber should satisfy most of your needs, and be available off the shelf. the PRS  is a pretty heavy stock and probably more long range than hunting focused, The three component choices that will have the greatest effect on the weight of your finished gun will be the butt stock choice, barrel length/contour/material, and the type/length of hand guard you select. it's no suprise that the parts that are best suited to extreme distance are less suited to an all around hunting build. I would not presume to tell you which would suit your needs best, but I'll bet that a heavy rifle with a long heavy barrel and fixed stock will not make you very happy if you cover a lot of ground on foot when hunting, and will be doing more of that then target shooting. Maybe you should think about building two guns. You're probably going to want to anyway. I think that all of the members will tell you that once you build one, you'll have so many ideas for a second one that it will only be a matter of time before you start collecting parts for it.

Yep. I totally understand. I am focusing more on hunting for this build so my enemy is in fact weight as I am more of a still hunter. That's why I want an 18" barrel whether its a med or heavy. I don't care about the weight for the 18" barrel.. what ever gives me superb accuracy within a $250-350 price range.

Also I'm not set on the PRS stock anymore as it is made more for the bench... I'm learning as I go lol. I will get something that is quickly adjustable and made more for quick shouldering like the Magpul MOE.

Hi Tkopper  " Yep. I totally understand. I am focusing more on hunting for this build so my enemy is in fact weight as I am more of a still hunte"    So stay away from the Super SASS barrel ....had one...took two boys and a mule to carry it <laughs> my raineier 16" /mega came in at 9.5 lbs loaded 20 rd mag no optics ...which is pretty freakin light. but its also a monolithic...so it weighs a lil less..oh one thing....triggers....yes I now drink the kool-aid...Geissele super 3 gun.....is the ticket... it will make you a better shot! <thumbsup>Wash

2-2.jpg

That SASS is quite the beat I take it lol. The triggers I been thinking about are the Geissele SSA and the "Gold Finger" ATC Ar-15 trigger. Very nice build there wash.  <thumbsup>

Thanks  Guys    Tkopper  ive got the Geissele SSA enhanced in one of my 308's...great trigger...BUT  their super 3 gun trigger beats the ssa hands down!  <thumbsup>  Wash

remember the super 3 gun has a faster reset, but for accuracy i prefer the ssa/-e for the predictable creep/break. the super 3 gun trigger is great for fast trigger stuff for sure, loved it when i used 98z5v and plan on it in an upcoming 14.5" ar15 build. to each his own, try both out if you can first!

Whats the difference with the ATC 308 specific trigger vs. ar-15? Dont most ar-15 triggers work in 308 receivers?.

It is my understanding that the hammer spring on the .308 model is stronger, and the hammer is slightly wider from what I'm told. I can't verify that, but take it for what it's worth. Myself, I'd prefer the 308 specific model even if I didn't know any different.

It is my understanding that the hammer spring on the .308 model is stronger, and the hammer is slightly wider from what I'm told. I can't verify that, but take it for what it's worth. Myself, I'd prefer the 308 specific model even if I didn't know any different.

Well I guess that makes sense, bigger bullet needs stronger primer hit. Same here, buy the one made for your specific gun.