• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie 308 cosmetic changes

I too have this same DPMS smooth side, very high rise upper and a 16"bbl. I would like to mount some iron sights at 45 degrees on a long, say 15" long forend. I have a scope mounted on the receiver and a new in box low profile gas block. I wonder if I could use a forend that does not have the right height rail to be even/level with my receiver rail but would allow me to mount a long 15" rail at 45 degrees. So I guess I am after any height top rail (though probly the higher one of the low 2 would be better) forend that has rail mount holes at 45 degrees. Do I make any sense?

I like the looks and prices of the 15" long ATI forends for AR15, .223s. Something along those lines. I understand the top rail of the forend will not be as high as my receiver rail. In fact, I am thinking of not even attaching a rail on top of the forend, just down 45 degrees on the right side for back up iron sights. I guess I wouldn't even need to run a full length rail at 45 degrees, just short ones under the sights. And another short one on the left for a light, maybe one one the bottom at 180 degrees for a short hand grip or a grip/bipod combo. Or actually at 135 degrees down on the left so when I hold the grip at 180 degrees the sights line up!    Or is this just impractical?  Thanks for your insight! 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Humbolt, I'm going to try to make sense of this.

I think what you are looking for would be best shown as the JP/VTAC or the APEX Machine 15" free float tube, with a JP short range tactical sight mounted to the tube at the desired angle.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/ar-15-short-range-tactical-sight-prod20658.aspx

This will put your sights on the same plane. If you do it right, i'll bet the sights could come back and overlap the receiver a bit without interfering with shell extraction.

This was a poor explanation on my part! I want a cheap 15" long free float forend for my DPMS 308 with rail mounting holes at all 45 degree angles. Full of mounting holes on planes, but no rails already attached or built in. Then my plan is to mount tritium iron sights at 45 degrees, spaced as far apart as possible on the forend. Rail length under the sights is not important, and no need currently for a top rail, on an even/level/same plane or not, as the receiver top. I have the super high DPMS receiver. I am not as concerned about a level top rail between the forend and receiver as I am: 1 free float. 2 length between sights. 3 rails at 45 degrees. 4 price. My eyes are not so good anymore, I am hoping for a free float tube mounted offset iron sight set in addition to my receiver top mounted scope.  As an aside, I am really happy with this rifle, I will get better at parts definition and availability as I go. This is part of the fun with a new rifle!  Thanks again for all the help. 

get the JP/vtac 15"....and the 6" extension. nothing says awesome like a rail that's longer then the barrel!!!!

yup.gif      :D                                                                                                                                      

I'm still trying to build this rifle on paper before I order parts. Looks like the JPHG-6D is the cheapest, lightest forend about 15" long. The plan is to install it with put 2 short rails at RH 45 degrees front and rear for close in backup iron sights. Then I could figure out some spacers and longer mount screws to raise the top rail to even with my super high profile receiver, if I decide I want that top rail. The JP rail prices are so high I would probly use cheaper copies, with JP nuts if possible. Any other ways to do this cheaper and better? I am hoping to get this rifle to look like the the Stag 3G .223 ads when done. Please point out the errors in this idea and thanks for the help!

• 9 years later...

I know this is an extremely old thread. But does anybody know where to find one of those DPMS quadrails for the LR-308 high top uppers? Since DPMS has changed hands they don't make them, and I called Luth-AR (reincarnated DPMS) and asked but they don't know either. Any help would be appreciated. I would even settle for a used one that I can have cerakoted. 

Much thanks,

-DYLAN

28 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Best bet will be ebay or big forum classifieds. the whole point of the "target" height upper was to be able to run a scope with a huge objective while running normal rings. Nobody else ever made a continuous height rail for that upper. 

Yeah, I have spent the last year researching, just to learn that DPMS was the only one to make a quadrail for that upper. I understand why they made that tall upper, but I am building a couple different uppers with original DPMS parts (St. Cloud factory) and I want to do a slick side with the quad due to how beefy that receiver is. The worst part is when searching for that handguard, as soon as I type in "DPMS" it shows me every handguard that fits the DPMS platform, and not the brand. I was hoping somebody on here could point me in the right direction, or better yet, have one they would sell.