• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie 308 cosmetic changes

OK so have decided to keep my DPMS, You all talked me into it and I THANK YOU.  So I think I want {unless  anybody has better optins}  Troy 12" hand guard I have older model upper raised. So want hand guard same level, Adjustable butt stock mag pull ctr, heavy buffer and spring,pistol grip, low profile gas block. Ive on order how to build AR from Brownells. So what all do I need for tools what is compatible with 223 and 308. You guys started this now you have to put up with my questions. Thanks a bunch you all have been great this forum really helps. Just hope it doesnt get shut down

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, first off you'll need an upper receiver vise block. I suggest the Armalite Universal Block. It's less expensive and looks to be a LOT sturdier than others I have seen.

You can get a lower receiver block too, but I never needed one. I think most people pass on this part.

To remove the A1 stock and install the collapsible stock:

This guy is a little annoying, but the video seems complete enough. (It also saves me from writing a novel on how to do the swap)

No specific "308" tools are required here!

Parts to buy:

1. Carbine Length Buffer Tube

2. Carbine Length Buffer

3. Carbine Length Buffer Spring

4. Collapsible Stock of your choice

5. Castle Nut

Reused Parts:

1. Buffer Detent

2. Buffer Detent Spring

Left Over Parts:

1. A1 Fixed Stock

2. Rifle Length Buffer Tube

3. Rifle Length Buffer

4. Rifle Length Buffer Spring

To remove/swap the pistol grip:

fast forward to 02:00 so you don't have to bother hearing this guy babble for two minutes.

Again, no special tools.

As for the handguard...

You need to decide if you like the Troy MRF or the Troy TRX. You will need the appropriate barrel nut for the handguard you choose. I'm not sure what nut the 308T uses, or if it will be reusable. If you go for the TRX, you have to buy the Troy TRX specific tools.

You should have a barrel wrench tool to remove the muzzle device and then usually a hex key to remove the gas block. It's also a good idea to pick up a soft hammer. I have THIS one, and I use the piss out of it.

Keep us posted on the progress! <thumbsup>

Hi Jon 308      Get the troy extreme battlerail trx in 13.8 inch

its  nice...looks good... ive got three of them on my builds. covers up the gas block and is fairly light..you got to have a low pro gas block...you may have one on your rifle already? the barrel nut comes with the handguard....troy uses standard 308 type wrench for this....dunno what you need for a wrench on the one you have though?

<thumbsup>  Wash

OK so have decided to keep my DPMS, You all talked me into it and I THANK YOU.  So I think I want {unless  anybody has better optins}  Troy 12" hand guard I have older model upper raised.

jon308, before you get started on parts, post a picture of your rifle.  We need to see the canvas we're working with on this painting...  <thumbsup> <laughs>

On those Troy rails, it really comes down to only a couple questions, in order to decide which one will fit you better.

***  Quad rail, or top rail-only, with no rails on sides and bottom?

***  In using a lo-pro gas block, do you want the rail to come almost right up to the gas block, or do you want the rail to just cover the gas block (gas block right inside the end of the rail)?

Answer those two, with your preference, and the correct Troy rail will be clear (TRX or MRF).  <thumbsup>

Is yankee hill ok for hand guard like light weight rifle length, would like hand guard to cover gas block but  real concern is more room for my hand would also like to add angle grip to it but other than that dont actually need quad rail, This rifle will have scope all the time, a sure fire at 45 degree in future plans or somthing like that

For clarification (because it still confuses me) do you have the original extra high receiver or the A3 style? And if im not mistaken there is 2 A3 heights for DPMS.  This will certainly affect your choices.

I was under the impression that factory DPMS quad rail was the only one that lines up with the classic extra tall receiver. Am I wrong?

Thanks Matt I will check that out, But I may be getting ahead of myself, the cosmetic changes woul be nice but maybe I better start with mechanical changes first to make the rifle reliable cause this is what started this conversation the fact I was feeling rifle not reliable looks count but they dont save you. So should I put in a JP enhanced bolt or do I need the whole BC and bolt I was thinking Bolt and firing pin that kit is more to my wallet's liking at 185 rather than 439 which is more liable to wear out. Then buffer and spring then hand guard when funds arise??

I simply called Troy and gave them the information that DPMS had given me based on my serial number. I gave them the description that DPMS had given me, and they sent me the correct rail height in exchange for the one I'd bought. Did I mention that I didn't have a receipt for my FFHG, and it was FDE instead of black? Not only did they exchange my item for the one of the right height, but they gave it to me in my preferred color as well. That is unbeatable service, and is why I will buy from Troy every chance I get.

john, nothing is wrong with your bolt is there? then don't waste time replacing anything there. i would start with the buffer and spring first. unless you have been having light strikes or your firing pin is peened i see no reason to replace that either. if you have no function issues right now, get the heavier buffer, it will reduce recoil, lessen wear and tear, and the spring from armalite is just a better part. I've done this upgrade for all my rifles, love it.

Matt what was your serial # , I have a call into Troy, their supposed to call back, what do you think about bolt carrier and bolt has anyone put JP bolt in their rifle

The first 3 of 5 digits are 562--, which is to say that my receiver is fairly well into the older style. My bolt carriers are:

DPMS Standard

Young Mfg. SS chromed

SI Defense NiB coated 416 SS

Matt what was your serial # , I have a call into Troy, their supposed to call back, what do you think about bolt carrier and bolt has anyone put JP bolt in their rifle

Hi Jon308    when you call troy...you ask for Jeff Morgan...

He is THE man when it comes to fitment...dont putz around with any one else!    :)  Wash

jon308, this thing right here is the DPMS LR-308B Hi-Rider.  This is why I asked for a pic of your rifle, to see what we're working with, before tossing out answers that might not matter - because, if you have this, there is no other rail that will match up with it...

dpms308-6.jpg

Beyond that, on the lo-pro flat tops, there are two heights.  There's a thread here on how to measure both, find the difference (old or new), and get the right rail for it.

Sorry didnt get pict was waiting for my son to do it he is better with this stuff but thats exactly what I have the 308T see how little room is between mag well and bipod thats what drives me nuts and with gloves on its worse. But yea thats what Im dealing with. I missed troy they closed before I could talk to anybody.

So, you DO have the Hi-Rider upper receiver?  Look closely at that thing in the pic, man.  If that's the one you have, there is another, more costly, option for you.  I didn't even know that DPMS made a rail for that thing, honestly.  Nobody else does, unfortunately. 

The only other option here is:

Buy a new stripped upper receiver from Fulton Armory.  They only use the old-height flat top uppers.  At that point, you can just just about any rail you want. 

Afterwards, sell the upper you have.  <thumbsup>