• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie 308 cosmetic changes

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Matt, going to wait till Monday and get hold of dpms again, my bolt is slick side so no serations for forward assist, so would I need new bolt also? I will keep you in mind and appreciate offer, what are those selling for. Maybe this is why they were telling me to just go another route seems like alot of money adding up quick. With changes not including reciever Im at 500.00 plus tax  getting close to new upper cost. Now my head hurts, I was told these were the Harleys of guns sure turning out that way.

You will most likely NEVER use the forward assist... Unless you are playing with it. Modern ammo in civilian conditions just don't make a rifle dirty enough.

Personally I like the look of the upper without the forward assist. It has a clean, sleek look to it. I say keep the upper you have, and go with the DPMS rail.

tell me this doesnt look sick!!! i kinda like it better than the A3 upper. and to be honest, as goofy as the hi rider upper looks...i get a really nice and comfortable cheek weld with my PRS.

disclaimer...this isnt mine..its a pic i found while searching for a forend to fit my rifle. however im thinking of chopping my barrel and copying this thing.

IMG_0658.jpg

OK heard back from DPMS yes I can put rifle length quad rail on it need micro gas block and they said I need to have it done by gun smith as you have to remove barrel, But yes the one in the picture is it. And no changes have been made to the 308T since its introduction, so if you have the high rider this is your choice. Havent heard from troy, but very happy this can be done THANKS Jon

yea im looking for about a inch to inch and 1/2 shorter than existing a2 the original is justa little long especially when have heavy jacket on however like the more traditional stock over collaspsabile.  I usually end up cutting stocks down but cant do that with these.

This can be achieved, with a little creativity. Obviously you can't cut the stock, but there are other options.

RRA makes an "Entry" model short A2 stock. ACE makes a skeletonized version of the entry stock. Both of these stocks will be a little short for you, as they were designed to be shot wearing armor.

p_739000009_1.jpg

BS-RFX-E.jpg

NEXT, you need to find a DPMS butt stock extender. This extender will add over an inch of length to your short stock.

dpms.jpg

Overall, you will have about 1.5" less length than a standard stock. Giving you approximately your desired length.

Here is a pic of the standard length stock and the entry length stock, with the extender installed.

[img width=810 height=625]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Tail_of-two_Aces.jpg

as decent as that DPMS rail looks...it weighs 1.7lbs. thats just massive. i could chop 6" of barrel off and still gain weight over stock with that beast.

If you had access to a machine, you could do some fancy "swiss cheese" work on the rail.  If it were me, I'd probably mill off about 2/3 of the sides and bottom rails. Then work on lightening it with some "swiss cheese" work.

what do you all think about barrel removal should a guy try to find a smith for that, got busy today never heard back fro troy will call them tomorrow just to double check. Im pretty handy and have a good friend who is a mechanic so he could torque barrel things like that but probally requires more tools. Guess I will call a smith tomorrow does anybody have an idea what this should cost for labor and if I have all parts how long this would take. Thanks Jon

Got a call from Troy today no they do not make a hand guard to fit my rifle they only offer two hand guards 1 is low profile the other is 3/16 or so the guy said so I guess dpms is the only answer may have to get it and find a machine shop to work it over if possible. Thank's guys for all your help