• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rifle cradle/vise

washguy

Since were on the subject....theres a guy selling vice blocks that he says are for 5.56 or 7.62. One fits over the flat top rail...and one goes on the bottom but has cutouts for the lugs on both rcver sizes. You put it in the vice sideways. Seems like it should work in theory. Any opinions? Its only about $20 shipped. Seems like a good option for us poverty stricken addicts.

umm..i dont think the site likes links to that evil place. it scolded me when i tried earlier. heres a pic though

IMG_2252.jpg

The only vise block set that allows you to securely hold either your 5.56 or your .308 flattop upper receiver in a bench vise in order to perform barrel installations. The top block is grooved to hold on to your top picatinny rail to keep the upper rail properly aligned. The bottom block has pockets milled for both 5.56 and .308 upper front lugs to hold the upper securely in a vise. This vise block set is made of a tough high density plastic and will withstand years of use.

The flaw of that design is it is very possible to overtighten the vise and crush the receiver. Armalite uses that design and I believe the reason is to sell new upper receivers. Just my 2¢

In a recent thread there were some different vise block shown including the one I made, which I believe still works the best for barrel installs and there isn't a chance of it tweaking the receiver as someone noted in the thread.

Are you talking about for shooting, or for working on them?  For accuracy testing, I have something similar to the Caldwell Lead Sled.

s7_229539_999_04?rgn=0,0,2000,1035&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=1BJFt2yrCHP1B3n4blKwk

98z    sweet!  I'm talking bout a  cradle to hold the ar verticle while I mount scopes  yours is prolly  overkill for this  :)  wash