• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

600-yard target shooting and scopes

J.D.Sly

I'm a newbie and just put a DPMS LR308 (with the 18 in. barrel) on layaway last week. I am interested in shooting at the 600-yard range at my local sportsmen's club (our longest range) and have two questions: Is that a good 600-yd rifle, and could anyone recommend a scope for that distance that is preferably not more than $500? Thanks.

Hi Jd    farthest we got is 500yd steel plates and tennis balls and golf balls on the ground....got three 308's the Nikon Monarch 8480 with bdc on two of em, and a nikon 20 moa sloped mount does the trick.....544 bills from this website for the scope then they hose you for S&H,but its still a deal ive never been able to match the price anyplace else <dontknow>  you gotta have a 20 moa slopped mount  cuase i dunno why but this scope deosnt have enough moa built in and its a 8x32x50 side focus <dontknow>

pm me and ill tell you where to go if you want  :)  Wash

Thanks for the reply, washguy. 8x32 will definitely be plenty of magnification. I was doing some research and I am wondering if the tube diameter on that scope is 1 inch. Apparently, from my understanding, you need a 30mm tube diameter to have ample MOA adjustment for longer range target shooting. I will check into that scope more, though. Nikon is good quality scope from all that I have heard.

Thanks for the reply, washguy. 8x32 will definitely be plenty of magnification. I was doing some research and I am wondering if the tube diameter on that scope is 1 inch. Apparently, from my understanding, you need a 30mm tube diameter to have ample MOA adjustment for longer range target shooting. I will check into that scope more, though. Nikon is good quality scope from all that I have heard.

Hi JD  scope is 1"... you must use a 20moa slope mount ...on this particular scope as there is not enough internal moa adjustmrnt :)  Wash