• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fulton Armory SS 22' threaded barrel

I am not sure about exactly what TWIST we should have.  We will be varmint hunting, medium game, and target shooting, along with the occasional Zombie LOL.  Here is the info on this barrel.  What type of ammo are we looking at working best with this twist?

Barrel, 22", .308 AR, Heavy Weight, 1x12, Stainless, Threaded, Match Quality, FA by Criterion

Bolt-shooters go a different direction with slower twist rates and heavy bullets...push the bullets faster.  Be careful to stay within pressures.

The ARs (so I'm told) will handle any load bolt-action rifles will handle, unlike the Garand-based rifles where loads must be oh-so-gentle with that op-rod.

Jon

If I got it right brother mharris it's,1revolution in either 10" or 12"...10" up to 220grains--12" up to 170grains.Maybe some one will correct. <dontknow>

You're right on the mark. The 1:10 and 1:12 are the ratios of "revolutions to inches".

Much like a football is required a perfect spiral to make a proper pass, a bullet must also spin. The weight/shape of the bullet determines how fast that spin should be. Big slow bullets need to spin very fast to stabilize. The faster the velocity of that bullet, the less spin it requires.

A tighter twist also creates more barrel pressure and heat from bullet friction. The best example of this is from the owners of the .220 Swift or the 22-250 owners. They are notorious for using tight twist rifles that shoot near 4k fps. They also replace barrels at extraordinarily short life spans.

This was more an issue 10+ years ago. A decent quality barrel can handle faster/lighter loads with a tighter twist. You will find that a lot of custom barrels (for the .308 Win) come at 1:10 twist. The makers will generally stand by their product and say it's ok to shoot down to 145gr and then as heavy as your rifle will handle.

My general rule of thumb it, "take it easy". If you know you have a tight twist, and you are shooting lightweight bullets... DON'T mag dump... Take it easy. Give your barrel some breathing room. Besides, at $.75 to $1.50 a bullet, mag dumps are expensive! :P

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:

I am not sure about exactly what TWIST we should have.  We will be varmint hunting, medium game, and target shooting, along with the occasional Zombie LOL.  Here is the info on this barrel.  What type of ammo are we looking at working best with this twist?

Barrel, 22", .308 AR, Heavy Weight, 1x12, Stainless, Threaded, Match Quality, FA by Criterion

I would shoot from 150gr and down. Don't waste your time with the larger stuff. It's not dangerous, you'll just upset yourself with accuracy issues.

You might even try some hot loaded Sierra Match BTHP 135gr or the Barnes TSX-BT 130gr! Those will get you close or over 3k fps, and will destroy furry-four-legged pests with GREAT prejudice. <thumbsup>