• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone have expeience with a Sig 239 9mm? (For wife)

SPBCTS

I am a Sig guy from way back, so please, while input is appreciated the only weapons under consideration in this discussion are Sig Sauer semi-autos.

(I've trained for over 20 years with the P226 platform and its variants, trained countless others with it, so I want to stick with it.)

My wife is 5-2 and about 125. (I am 6-4 about 270, don't know what she sees in me) My semi autos are all set up with grips designed to fill my hand and improve grip, hold, and accuracy. She has fired my .40S&W (s) but they are a handful for her, and she is far more accurate and comfortable with a 9mm.

I believe a shooter comfortable with a firearm and a caliber are far more deadly than a shooter packing a hand cannon they are not comfy with.

Over the past few months, she has begun to express a desire to get a CCW.

I know she won't have a problem with the and approval/ clearance paperwork, but I want her to have a pistol she is comfortable and good with, and one I can train her on various drills with. After the first of the year it is my intent to take her to an indoor range locally and rent a 239 in 9mm and see how she does. If it works out, we will find a way to make this happen.

Do any of you fellows have any experience with this exact piece, and even better have you put your lady on it or run a female through a course with said weapon? Or, do you have a wife packing a 229 in 9mm?

thanks for reading.

My wife and I are both LEO. My wife, also 5'02" 125#, carries the Sig P239 .40 for her duty carry. I carried the P226 for 10 years, through the academy and through patrol. My only gripe was it wasn't a 45... So I bought the P220 Carry Elite.

My wife shoots laser beams out of her itty-bitty Sig. I got her the short reset sear too. It helps a lot. She is also a big fan of Glocks due to their light weight. I ordered her a 4th Gen G23 "Blue Label" but it hasn't come in yet. She has a full size G17 she plays with too.

SPBCTS, I've only trained a couple of thousand women, so bear with me.

If your wife isn't a shooter already, the rental is THE way to go!  The more different types they have the better.  Then, when she finds one SHE likes, get one of those!

The biggest issue I've seen with husbands buying for wives is they most often get what they "think" the wife wants.  I've only been married a decade and I still have no idea what my wife thinks...unless I messed up.  While the SIG 239 is a decent little pistol, it may not be the best choice for her...that she would make.

My buddy got his non-shooting wife a 239 in 9mm and it is a great paper weight.

Again, if you can rent from a place with a big variety of choices, even better.  Failing that, in our area when at a shooting range, most often all it takes is telling another shooter "We've been thinking about getting my wife one of those," and you'll get a "Here!  Wanna shoot it?"  This is usually followed by stories about all the good and bad experiences they've had with that type of firearm.

Once she has made her choice, running the drills is much easier.  Yes, every type has its quirks but IMO starters are much more willing to practice when they have a pistol they like, that they chose.

Jon

Thanks guys.

I am a 25 year retired cop, and a rangemaster. Wife is a shooter.

Ain't trained nowhere near your numbers planeflyer...just a few dozen cops, perhaps a dozen female LEOs.

I am a huge believer in test driving a firearm just like a car. While I love buying both for just the fun of it, they are both too pricey to make a mistake.

We have a local indoor range/gunstore (run, coincidentally, by a retired cop :D) and we can test drive one up there. Really appreciate the info about the short reset sear.

Excellent!

Don't want to sound like I went overboard but you wouldn't believe the number of women that take a class with a handgun "My husband got for me."

Scandium snubby in .357 Magnum.  A Glock G27.  Colt Officer's Model.  All for students that haven't even fired a rubber band.  ???

Had one woman shoot my 6" GP100 with .38s first, then try her Smith 360.  Fired one round, turned to look at her husband and said "I don't like that.  I don't like that one bit!"

Had a retail customer, lady corrections officer, came in religiously every 90 days to purchase a NEW 1911.  She LOVES them.

Takes all types.

Jon

Planeflyer I don't rangermaster any more in an official capacity because my cert is for LEO only from the state peace officers commission. Insurance and all that. I am not really interested in going to an NRA class at this point in life.

I've trained (informally of course ;)) a number of close friends over the years, even a couple of their kids as time has gone by. I have seen a bunch of guys forcing big guns on people who ain't ready, and I actually have a couple of friends who's wives I have taught to shoot because, "My husband gets all wigged out, can you help me?"

Like I said in the training post...put a weapon in their hand they like and can hit with and train the hell out of them. Dust collectors won't protect anyone.

Matt;

Cindy has fired my large frame Sigs, .40 and .45...and while she can hitwith them and doesn't have a weak wrist problem, she doesn't like them.

That is all I needed to hear.

Of course, looking down the snout of any of them, big, small, in the middle.. in the hands of a female trained and ready to use it is going to make stains on the pants of all but the craziest of men anyway..

I will let you guys know how this goes. She is telling me that we ain't buying anything til spring, and that we are going to have to decide what comes first, her pistol or the scope for the Father son AR project.

While I want a scope real bad, I am gonna get her sorted out first.

If I have to I will buy a cheap scope and upgrade later.

My wife used to shoot USPSA matches with me. I had a Para Ordinance in 40 S&W that I built into an Open Class gun for her (compensated and red dot scoped). She's only 5' tall but she shot the hell out of that thing! The fat grip didn't seem to bother her at all. It just goes back to what SPBCTS said, if they are comfortable with it they will be a lot more able to shoot it.

• 3 weeks later...