• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR 308 barrel nut wrench

392heminut

I'm thinking about having the barrel on my DPMS LR 308B turned down to a smaller profile and possibly fluted to get rid of some front weight. I have an AR-15 tool, but I don't suppose it will work on the 308 barrel nut will it? If not, where's a good place to get a DPMS pattern 308 barrel nut wrench? The only one Brownells shows is out of stock.

• 4 months later...

I bought that Percision reflex one then realized my JP handguards barrel but uses the standard size barrel nut wrench so I have this tool I can't even use it.

I already had the AR15 version for other rifles but it wouldn't fit either because the barrel diameter was too large.  The holes all lines up but the inner diameter was too small :(

All this money on tools and I ended up borrowing my friends yankee hill wrench and just applied torque by hand without a torque wrench...

Edited by Justintoxicated

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about having the barrel on my DPMS LR 308B turned down to a smaller profile and possibly fluted to get rid of some front weight. I have an AR-15 tool, but I don't suppose it will work on the 308 barrel nut will it? If not, where's a good place to get a DPMS pattern 308 barrel nut wrench? The only one Brownells shows is out of stock.

Mine worked.

• 7 months later...

Very useful tool is Geissele Reaction Rod.  It is $200 for 308 version, but worth it.  You need a good vise to grab it, but once secure you can put great torque on a barrel nut with no chance of stressing or warping or even putting a scratch on your receiver.  

I'm particular about tools and usually wait and buy once.  This is the way.  If you are not familiar with this idea, it is a rod with very slick finish to fit inside receiver and has bolt lug spline to engage barrel extension.  When you torque the nut the only force the receiver sees is the small amount of friction on the threads and the alignment pin.  Nothing touches the exterior of the receiver so the only way to scratch it is for you to do something stupid.  The rod can be clamped vertically or horizontally (or anywhere in between.  It is also great for installing/removing flash hider/muzzle brake on barrels, either in the receiver of just the barrel (you will have to support a bare barrel to keep it secure).

Geissele makes great stuff.  Not cheap, but worth what you pay.

• 3 years later...