• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Trade opinions

MaDuce

Needing some opinions here.

I have been secretly working on a car project for months now. Mostly I've been planning, gathering supplies, conducting experiments, making deals and producing patterns.

It's pretty much down to supplies right now. One thing I am short of is the car it's self, and it has to be a specific line of car from a specific time period for reasons I'd rather keep to myself right now. They usually sell on craigslist for around $1000 to about $6000 depending on make, condition, features etc. It's a sport car. I'll tell you that much.

I've had a rather long-term plan for acquiring it, but just today a friend offered to trade me one here and now for my .308 rifle.

Now, as mentioned earlier, I intend to keep my lower receiver, BCG and MAYBE barrel but slowly replace everything else over time.

So, I am thinking about; in stead of spending all year and part of next slowly replacing everything, just get an extra BCG, and pay the bill for a lower receiver for him and start over, IF the car is a good deal.

What do you think?

You say it is a 350 Cobra fastback mustang? if not Keep the rifle.. seriously need more info like condition of car, that is important as if you have to fix everything on it what is the point and it may be awhile before you can replace that lower.. just saying.

I am a car guy myself, I live and breathe them, have since I was pushing my Tonka Trucks around 50 years ago.

The timing just sucks.

If the car you are after is so special that it could change your life due to it's value in the collector world, or because you have plans to mod it it needs to come from pre-federal safety standards and if you can accomplish what you want it will represent a technological leap so large it could change your world, then maybe.

A 1 of three Ferrari? Yes.

71 Triumph TR-6 you've dreamed of since your college days?

No.

Barn find original Shelby Cobra, one of the lost snakes, yes.

A cherry all-steel deuce 3-window body on a original chassis with an unfired ARDUN overhead conversion built by Zora himself, yes.

but honestly you haven't given us enough to work with.

It's NOT a hard car to come by. In terms of value and exoticness, It's in the same ballpark as maybe a Ford Mustang or Pontiac Firebird. Basically one step under Corvette, Porsche 911 etc. Not a new model but not very old either.

Like I said, I can get them on craigslist.com for as little as $1000 but most of the good ones are $1500+.

Little maters though since I spent basically the last half a year and already close to $1000 prepping this project around that specific model car, so I can't really use anything else, regardless of what's worth what.

To answer your questions, yes, it IS a project.

I intend to replace pretty much everything but the BCG and lower receiver anyway, so the real loss is being back to short of a .308 rifle for another 7 to 13 months. The project on the other hand; though probably road worthy in less then a year is expected to go on for another year and a half, so there's room to be patient.

Tough call.

I have a boat I've been working on for some time, want very badly to finish it as it is close and everything else is waiting for the money tree. It is a restoration on a jet boat that has been in the family for many years. I had to do some serious soul searching when things got silly, and we put the boat in the slow lane to get the AR-10 while the getting was good.

I know that the boat parts I need will always be available, but with the "situation" we are in, I couldn't say the same thing about the rifle...so, we went to the rifle.

Sounds like you are at a similar decision point.

Tough call.

I have a boat I've been working on for some time, want very badly to finish it as it is close and everything else is waiting for the money tree. It is a restoration on a jet boat that has been in the family for many years. I had to do some serious soul searching when things got silly, and we put the boat in the slow lane to get the AR-10 while the getting was good.

I know that the boat parts I need will always be available, but with the "situation" we are in, I couldn't say the same thing about the rifle...so, we went to the rifle.

Sounds like you are at a similar decision point.

Yep, that's pretty much it. I am already planning on replacing the gun piece by piece, but will I be able to actually follow through. If everything my gun is made of were readily available it'd probably be a done deal already. But that's not the case. That's what's making it such a tough call.

Was this for the '70 El Camino SS with the 454ci, or the '50 Merc coupe "lead sled"?

In a few days/weeks it's possible that you may NEVER see a new semi automatic receiver again in California. Keep what you got.

The lower receiver I currently have on it is out of the question. If; by some miracle I come up with a better BCG, I will let the one it has in it go with the gun. In any case, if I let it go at all, I am going to make sure I at least have my current lower receiver AND a BCG to build a new gun with. I am not going to risk leaving myself high and dry on this one.