• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR308/243 Questions

MarkB

Hi All,

I appreciate all of the help throughout my AR308 build, which is now an awesome shooter.  My 2nd build is very similar, but .243 caliber/20" SS LW heavy barrel.

Using same gas block (JP low profile, adj) and rifle length gas tube, gun won't eject spent case.  I've adjusted the gas up and down without any luck.

Beginning to wonder if the gas port hole in barrel might be too small.  Hoping someone knows what diameter should be, and any other ideas for me to check out.

Thanks,

Mark

MarkB, who is the barrel maker?  If it won't even eject, and the gas port is the culprit, then that gas port has to be grossly undersized. 

Another thing I'm thinking - take the adjustable gas block out of the equation for this part, for a minute.  The gas port could be WAY oversized - the bolt carrier is trying to start it's cycle too fast, due to increased gas pressure of a large port, and the case hasn't contracted yet.  The case is still expanded out into the chamber walls, and that will stop the bolt carrier in it's tracks.  However, the adjustable gas block, dialed down, should have caught something like that. 

Check for a rough chamber, too.

Does the bolt carrier even move, when you fire?  Have someone beside the rifle, watching for that.

barrel is a Lothar Walther.

after I get a #45, I can check size to see if under/over-sized.

I'll also check the chamber.  chamber didn't like remington as they stuck, whereas winchester manually ejected fine.

don't have local place to shoot, but can check for bolt movement next weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

took gas block off last night.  it appears that the hole in gas block did not match up exactly with barrel hole--have discoloration on both gas block and barrel next to gas port holes.  am trying to post some pics.  will try to center better and try again this weekend.

also tried to find a #45 (.082") drill bit, but best could come up with was a 5/64 (.078125") and wouldn't you know it, the barrel gas port hole is smaller than that.  seems like i will have to re-drill as well.

Drill slow (drill on a slow speed, pressure very slow/light).  Last thing you need to do is get through it fast enough to tag the opposite inside of the barrel when the bit goes through. 

Barrel steel might be tough, but the bits will get right through that gas port hole.  <thumbsup>

just an upadte:  was able to shoot the .243 last weekend.  resetting the gas block and enlarging the barrel gas port did the trick.  a couple of adjustments on gas block and it ejected shells and locked open on empty.

next step will be getting new scope.  any recommendations for coyote hunting out to 300-400 yds?