• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which Giessele?

NoFail

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poop, I was runnng a 2lb Jard in my 308, and it was perfectly fine. 

It was light enough, and the rifle recoil was stout enough, that...  if you didn't have dedicated trigger follow through with every shot, you could double it.  Something to be aware of.

Combined total pull weight on the SSA-E will be 3.5lbs, and it'll work just fine for a 308.  <thumbsup>

• 3 weeks later...

I thought after trying out my AR the answer would have been clear.

None of them.

Get an ATC SR Gold instead.  Even lighter than the AR Gold you tried out on my AR.  ;)

Tempted to try an SR gold myself, but I think I'm going to go with a Geissel High Speed Trigger with spring kit so I can toy with all 3 versions (Match, DMR, Service).  I hear the trigger pull is better than SR gold for a precision rifle, but I do like the SR Golds safety features.  SR Gold is not in stock anywhere though. 

I have no experience with either just a CMMG 2 stage and RRA 2 stage, so I'm hoping the price difference will be worth it.

Can Anyone who owns Both the Geissele High Speed Match Trigger and SR Gold compare them for me and to help me choose?  This will mostly be a heavy bench gun.  I have no way to compare these in person so I have come to conclusion it is impossible for me to decide.

From reviews I have read the SR Gold probably better than the SSA and SSA-E, but the Geissele high speed match may be better than the SR Gold.  This is purely from a benchrest perspective of course, and reading reviews on the Internets...

Another thing I read int he brownells reviews for the SR Gold is that the safety may need to be modified a bit, or else it can be hard to put the safety on, not sure if I want to screw with that!

THe Geissele SD-E looks interesting as well with.

Thanks,

I plan to test the following triggers in one session, and post opinions on each:

ATC SR Gold

G Hi-Speed DMR

G SSA-E

G SSA

G S3G

Armalite 2-stage National Match

ALG ACT

Jard 2lb

Jard 2.5lb

Spike's NiB

I'm forgetting something...    :o

That will happen in one session, with note-taking, etc., for details.  However, it won't be this coming weekend. 

I plan to test the following triggers in one session, and post opinions on each:

ATC SR Gold

G Hi-Speed DMR

G SSA-E

G SSA

G S3G

Armalite 2-stage National Match

ALG ACT

Jard 2lb

Jard 2.5lb

Spike's NiB

I'm forgetting something...    :o

That will happen in one session, with note-taking, etc., for details.  However, it won't be this coming weekend.

CMMG 2-stage and RRA 2-stage?  I know they won't be as good as the others but it would help me decide if upgrades are worth it.

Can Anyone who owns Both the Geissele High Speed Match Trigger and SR Gold compare them for me and to help me choose?  This will mostly be a heavy bench gun.  I have no way to compare these in person so I have come to conclusion it is impossible for me to decide.

From reviews I have read the SR Gold probably better than the SSA and SSA-E, but the Geissele high speed match may be better than the SR Gold.  This is purely from a benchrest perspective of course, and reading reviews on the Internets...

Another thing I read int he brownells reviews for the SR Gold is that the safety may need to be modified a bit, or else it can be hard to put the safety on, not sure if I want to screw with that!

THe Geissele SD-E looks interesting as well with.

Thanks,

We have discussions around the forum about the SR Gold and BAD ASS. The modification should have been done to the trigger tang and not the safety. Not a big deal. Also I think Roger mentioned they have changed the BAD ASS to work with the SR Gold.

Damn looking at Tom's list I still need to buy HS DMR

CMMG 2-stage and RRA 2-stage?  I know they won't be as good as the others but it would help me decide if upgrades are worth it.

I don't own either one of those, and won't be buying them, so those won't be included.  Sorry.  Just the above stuff, unless I buy another version of a G trigger prior to. 

We have discussions around the forum about the SR Gold and BAD ASS. The modification should have been done to the trigger tang and not the safety. Not a big deal. Also I think Roger mentioned they have changed the BAD ASS to work with the SR Gold.

Damn looking at Tom's list I still need to buy HS DMR

I actually modified the BAD ASS instead of the trigger tang.  For me it wasn't about getting the safety installed (if that is what Justin is talking about.  Or is it turning the safety on to "safe"?), it was the creep that was introduced  between the interface between the tang and the safety.  According to Roger, this was an older BAD ASS so he sent me an updated safety drum.  With the updated drum, I encountered the second problem I discussed where I couldn't get the safety to rotate to "safe".  For me I preferred to modify a $60 part as opposed to a $300 part so I modified the BAD ASS (original drum not the new drum).  Removing material slowly from the flat of the drum I was able to get rid of the creep while still maintaining full safety function and proper function with the SR Gold.

Ironically, I have an older AR Gold (.223 version) that actually requires a thicker safety drum to have full safety feature function (older AR Gold seems to have a different trigger tang than newer ones I've seen on the net).  Most safeties including the older BAD ASS drum I had would not return the trigger to the primary sear after a simulated 'drop' to the secondary intercepting sear.  Installing the newer BAD ASS drum worked perfectly with my AR Gold and seemed to actually fit better than the safety I received from ATC.

Now I haven't been able to compare the SR Gold against a Hi-Speed, but I have tried an SSA-E which is supposedly similar to being a non-adjustable Hi-Speed.  In my opinion, I felt like I would get better and more consistent results with the SR Gold than the way the Geissele is set up.  YMMV.

I don't own either one of those, and won't be buying them, so those won't be included.  Sorry.  Just the above stuff, unless I buy another version of a G trigger prior to.

how soon were you going to do your testing? I've got a CMMG 2 stage but have time before my lower arrives

Early to mid March was my target - as soon as I finish up another rifle.  All these triggers won't be shot in the same rifle - they'll stay in the rifles they're in now.  As soon as I finish this one up, I'll take them out and shoot for "trigger notes."  <thumbsup>