• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which Giessele?

NoFail

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a damn good writeup, with non-subjective data.  <thumbsup>

What this fella at the bottom of the page says about the Jard(s) is completely 100% accurate:

The Jard is a great trigger *IF* you put in the time to tune it and loc-tite up all the adjustments. It's a VERY fidgety thing to install. I've put in a couple already, so I know the shortcuts. Going by the manual is a royal PITA

One of the reasons I like the SR Golds and CMC triggers is the one minute install. Im lazy and prefer the path of least resistance.

BTW you guys ever assemble a 10/22. That is equally as challenging with the bolt, charging handle and recoil spring. That poop enraged me.

So if I don't have a BAD A.S.S then the SR gold is a drop in? It sounds like it requires some grinding or what have you?  I was thinking it sounded much harder to install and have a proper functioning safety,  however I have a hard time understanding the safety problem it causes without seeing one.  I'm confused to the point where I'm wondering if the SR Gold is actually safer than the GA if I have to modify it to make the safety work as expected (what if I screw up the modification and my safety fails?).  Sounds like a huge hassle to me.  I have a CMMG and RRA but its going to be some time before my BCG arrives.  I was going to RMA the CMMG because the trigger pull of the second stage is harder than any of my parts kit mil spec triggers.

BTW you guys ever assemble a 10/22. That is equally as challenging with the bolt, charging handle and recoil spring. That poop enraged me.

I've got those down to a science now.  I take them apart and do the auto bolt release mod for people at the range.  Once you get a few of them apart, it suddenly gets much, much easier.  <thumbsup>

So if I don't have a BAD A.S.S then the SR gold is a drop in? It sounds like it requires some grinding or what have you?  I was thinking it sounded much harder to install and have a proper functioning safety,  however I have a hard time understanding the safety problem it causes without seeing one.  I'm confused to the point where I'm wondering if the SR Gold is actually safer than the GA if I have to modify it to make the safety work as expected (what if I screw up the modification and my safety fails?).  Sounds like a huge hassle to me.  I have a CMMG and RRA but its going to be some time before my BCG arrives.  I was going to RMA the CMMG because the trigger pull of the second stage is harder than any of my parts kit mil spec triggers.

It's actually not that hard to fit the safety and for me the problem didn't just exist with the BAD ASS.  If it did, I would have just dumped and sold the BAD ASS.

You would have to remove quite a bit of material from the safety to impair safe function.  I only had to remove material from the flat of the safety which clears the trigger tang.  I was getting drag and creep from this area of interface.

For some safety fitting might a huge hassle, but I am a firm supporter of the ATC Gold trigger technology to the point where a little fitting was worth it.

One of the reasons I like the SR Golds and CMC triggers is the one minute install. Im lazy and prefer the path of least resistance.

Now you guys turned me off from getting a 10/22.  :-[

Now you guys turned me off from getting a 10/22.  :-[

They're easy, man.  Fear not.  <thumbsup>

A little further up, someone was thinking about the G SDE trigger.  This will simplify things some, in perspective:

* The SDC and SSA are the same trigger.  The SDC has a flat trigger, and the SSA is curved.

* The SDE and SSA-E are the same trigger.  The SDE has a flat trigger, and the SSA-E is curved.

* The SD3G and S3G are the same trigger.  The SD3G has a flat trigger, and the S3G is curved.

Operationally and functionally, those compared triggers have the exact same characteristics between the two - it's just whether you'll like a flat trigger surface, or the traditional curved surface.

It's actually not that hard to fit the safety and for me the problem didn't just exist with the BAD ASS.  If it did, I would have just dumped and sold the BAD ASS.

You would have to remove quite a bit of material from the safety to impair safe function.  I only had to remove material from the flat of the safety which clears the trigger tang.  I was getting drag and creep from this area of interface.

For some safety fitting might a huge hassle, but I am a firm supporter of the ATC Gold trigger technology to the point where a little fitting was worth it.

I can build my own Ar platform rifles from parts, but I have never done any trigger work.  I'd just hate to buy such an expensive trigger then need to send it off right away to be re-worked just so that it will work as expected.

I can build my own Ar platform rifles from parts, but I have never done any trigger work.  I'd just hate to buy such an expensive trigger then need to send it off right away to be re-worked just so that it will work as expected.

Not sure what I did is what would be called trigger work.  Again, I modified the safety not the trigger.  Btw, you could practice on a safety that comes with a standard LPK before you work on the BAD ASS if you are unsure of doing any mods.  It's easier than you are making it seem.

For me the Geissele products could work exactly as expected and not even come near to being as good as the ATC Gold triggers.

Also, there is no grinding.  I just used some fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a 1/4-1/2 inch thick board and started wearing down on the flat portion of the safety.  With a little trial and error, I got the exact trigger pull characteristics I wanted.

They're easy, man.  Fear not.  <thumbsup>

A little further up, someone was thinking about the G SDE trigger.  This will simplify things some, in perspective:

* The SDC and SSA are the same trigger.  The SDC has a flat trigger, and the SSA is curved.

* The SDE and SSA-E are the same trigger.  The SDE has a flat trigger, and the SSA-E is curved.

* The SD3G and S3G are the same trigger.  The SD3G has a flat trigger, and the S3G is curved.

Operationally and functionally, those compared triggers have the exact same characteristics between the two - it's just whether you'll like a flat trigger surface, or the traditional curved surface.

Supposedly the flat trigger makes a world of difference.  After wasting my money on an S3G and being disappointed, I wasn't motivated to buy an SD3G to find out.

• 3 weeks later...

^ I asked for a friend, whom in turn went with a JP Enterprises single stage fire control kit. It's the same one I use, comes with everything including safety mechanism. A few weeks ago I took out the 4.5 lb spring and threw in the 3-3.5 lb spring. So much better now!! My trigger pull scale shows it to be 3 lbs. now :)

^ I asked for a friend, whom in turn went with a JP Enterprises single stage fire control kit. It's the same one I use, comes with everything including safety mechanism. A few weeks ago I took out the 4.5 lb spring and threw in the 3-3.5 lb spring. So much better now!! My trigger pull scale shows it to be 3 lbs. now :)
First off....your avatar should be ranked #1 on this sight. Second, I am glad you are liking the JP set up. I have toyed with them, but keep coming back to Giesseles. Somewhere down the line I started preferring 2 stage triggers.....

I am very tempted to try one of the SD3 triggers.

If you're going this route, save your money and just get the ALG ACT trigger.  The S3G/SD3G is barely an upgrade in technology over a mil-spec.  If you want a 2-stage, maybe the SSA-E/SD-E but part of me still says save your money and get a RRA NM. 

My default suggestions are pretty much a JP for single stage and an SR Gold for two stage if you want real trigger upgrades.  I've tried most of the Geissele offerings excepting the Hi-Speed triggers and didn't think they were the price of admission.  The Wilson Combat triggers look promising but seem to just match or just be a little better than what the JP or SR Gold offer.