• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Little help,please

EastTexasman

I am having a problem with jamming on a new RRA Predator.I am using 2 RRA magazines and I am getting the same results with both mags.When I release the bolt forward the bullet loads correctly but second bullet jams every time.

I am very aggravated and I have no idea what to do.

While I am asking questions,I have one more. The butt on this rifle is metal and it does not feel good at all,is there a pad that I can buy that will slip on ?

Is this the .308 predator or the .223 predator?

When you say "jams", does that mean failure to eject or failure to feed? Are you double feeding? (I've never seen a double feed on a rifle, but I suppose it could happen?)

RRA's are built to really solid. This is going to great later down the road, but sucks for a break in. Don't be afraid to hit the magazine followers with a bit of lube. The buffer can get a quick squirt too. Many of the guys here, myself included, soak our BCG's in Mobile1 full synthetic motor oil (5w40 for me). Wipe down with a rag after soaking for a few days. Go back to shooting like normal.

Is this the .308 predator or the .223 predator?

When you say "jams", does that mean failure to eject or failure to feed? Are you double feeding? (I've never seen a double feed on a rifle, but I suppose it could happen?)

RRA's are built to really solid. This is going to great later down the road, but sucks for a break in. Don't be afraid to hit the magazine followers with a bit of lube. The buffer can get a quick squirt too. Many of the guys here, myself included, soak our BCG's in Mobile1 full synthetic motor oil (5w40 for me). Wipe down with a rag after soaking for a few days. Go back to shooting like normal.

Sorry,should have specified,it is a .308. The problem is with feeding the second bullet into the chamber after firing first bullet,I would say that is not double feeding.

What is the magazine followers? Excuse me if this is a dumbass question but I really do not know what that is.

What kind of ammo are you using brother? From day one on my .308 Standard Operator my lube MO is this : First time ctook apart BCG and extractor.Found ejector VERY stiff put a few drops of CLP on the counter worked it in and out.Wipe everything with CLP [or you'r lube of choice],interior, exterior of carrier.extractor,bolt.About 3 drops gun oil on rings [check stagger,might matter might not I do].Oil on the bottom of carrier and charging handle.Wipe buffer,spring,and inside of tube.Other makes seem like they need alot more lube [some use krioll or mobile 1].I found that running 147gr. mil surp. I had a couple of FTF and found out I was putting pressure on the magazine [pushing up with table top] while shooting on the bench using a bipod.By letting mag hang free FTF eliminated.5.56 does not seem to have that problem [pressure on mag].Also loading mag tapping spine of mag to make sure rounds are seated to the rear.Both my RRA .308/5.56 run like a watch.Extra lube can't hurt although with extreamly cold temps depending on lube might stiffen up a little.Hope this helped brother. <dontknow>

Follower is part that rides on top of magazine spring.If you push down with finger,butter knife handle,anything of that type and you let go quickly does it come up without hanging up? Does it bind in anyway? What edge said " How famiiar are you with AR's".I was green when I came here.A FNG. <dontknow>

Unforgiven

I am using PPU 165 grain,I am sure it is not the best but it is definitely not the worst either.

It seems everyone is saying go real heavy with the oil and that is what I am going to do.

Oh and yes,this is the first semi-automatic rifle I have ever owned.I have shot a M16-A1 and M16-A2 many times while I was in the Army but I never had to fix any problems with any rifle I used,they were pretty much just clean them properly and they shot perfect every time.

It seems everyone is saying go real heavy with the oil and that is what I am going to do.

Oh and yes,this is the first semi-automatic rifle I have ever owned.I have shot a M16-A1 and M16-A2 many times while I was in the Army but I never had to fix any problems with any rifle I used,they were pretty much just clean them properly and they shot perfect every time.

OK, very good, and thank you for your service. Now, yes oil that sumbitch up good. A little in the mag and buffer tube also. Make sure to check all springs you are aware of to make sure there is no binding. They may be real stiff, and they will break in, but you can work them manually, without shooting, to help the process along. Shoot, check, re oil if need be, shoot…. It'll get better once broken in but this is typical.. Guessing this will cure your problem.

Are you double feeding? (I've never seen a double feed on a rifle, but I suppose it could happen?)

They happen, and they're a bitch to clear.  They suck.

EastTX - how many rounds are you loading in the mag that you have, and what's the advertised capacity of that mag?  No matter what the answers might be, while you're breaking in the rifle, load the mag to 1/2 capacity.  20 rounder gets 10 rounds.  10 rounder gets 5.  New mag springs are tight as hell, and need broken in, too - they've never been cycled.  Stick your BCG, bolt down, on a vat of oil (oil of choice).  Well before you head to the range, pull that BCG out of the vat of oil, hang it up, and let the excess drip off it.  Shove it in the rifle and get busy with your 1/2 capacity-loaded mags. 

That right there will cut down on your initial problems. 

This is not my rifle but it was doing the exact same double feed issue this one had.

The recoil was releasing a round from the mag and when the bolt picked up a round off the mag there was already one loose. The only thing that fixed the problem for me was to replace the buffer and spring with one of Slash's heavy buffers. This was happening with the metal and poly mags.