• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a .45/1911

USMCbassman

Who's done it? 

I was over at our armory signing for some fun to shoot (M2's/240G :))) this upcoming week and got to talking to our armorer about building guns.  He took me in and showed me some 1911's he's building or built; it's something I've never thought of. 

So I thought I'd ask here, who's done it?  Would you do it again?  Are we just better off buying one from the shop?

This is no endeavor I'm looking at doing tomorrow, but some time down the road if the juice is worth the squeeze.  From what research I've done it seems like anything else.  It can be done on the cheap or cost an arm and leg. 

I have seem the frames and parts available.When Larry Vickers toured the Wilson combat factory it looked like the project was a little more labor intensive then putting on parts.But if you have the hand skills it looks very doable.Seemed like one of the biggest aspects was the slide to frame fitup.

I have been on planning to build a few 1911's just never seem to get around to it. These are not as simple as  AR15's. A very good understanding of parts interaction is needed for proper fit's and adjustments. Even many drop in parts require fitting.

I have done things like replaced and fit barrels and barrel bushings, installed ambi safeties, grip safeties and triggers. For me it has always been a lesson in patience. Something as simple as an ambi safety required a lot of slow fitting, drilling a small dimple for the detent.

There are two books you should get before attempting this.

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE U.S. M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS A SHOP MANUAL

I have seem the frames and parts available.When Larry Vickers toured the Wilson combat factory it looked like the project was a little more labor intensive then putting on parts.But if you have the hand skills it looks very doable.Seemed like one of the biggest aspects was the slide to frame fitup.

That's what I gathered and I was looking around last night I noticed companies like Caspian and Fusion sold matched sets to alleviate this problem.  Looks like imschur pointed out much more than that though ???

I have been on planning to build a few 1911's just never seem to get around to it. These are not as simple as  AR15's. A very good understanding of parts interaction is needed for proper fit's and adjustments. Even many drop in parts require fitting.

I have done things like replaced and fit barrels and barrel bushings, installed ambi safeties, grip safeties and triggers. For me it has always been a lesson in patience. Something as simple as an ambi safety required a lot of slow fitting, drilling a small dimple for the detent.

There are two books you should get before attempting this.

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE U.S. M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS A SHOP MANUAL

Thanks for the lead on the books.  I'll look into them.  I like to read about things I want to learn about (about the only time I read).   Appreciate the info as well.  I didn't realize it could be so much more labor intensive.  I'd read where some guys has to drill this or ream that to get a little better fit. 

I have built & repaired many , my favorit firearm to build or repair. Pretty much where I started , working on firearms back in the mid 70's . ( I know, I'm in an AR fourm ) As has been said , they take a little more building/gunsmithing ability to do. The trigger,sear ,disconnector & grip safty all take a bit to do correctly .

Many years ago you could get kits from Springfield Armory to build , of course all that's long gone .When I was a FFL , I sold many , my Brother still has one .

I got my start in professional gunsmithing, 50 years ago, building 1911's!!!

Things were a lot different, then!

I used to refer the genunine "Colt" 1911 as the best do it yourself kit on the market.

A lot of the new guns are better than the "custom" jobs of years ago.  Just the result of tighter tolerences, and the factorys introducing many of our old "custom" features as modern "from the factory" jobs.

Yes, you can still build a great gun, but figgure 80-100 hours on it.   Almost ALL hand work, though some will be taking a dremmil tool to things that should be done by hand.

I'm not trying to talk you our of it.   But it is considerably more than assembling a AR.  I can build an AR from "parts" in a couple of hours.  A 1911 will take , depending on the parts, two FULL working days, to a couple of WEEKS, full time.

I'm currently working on an 80% lower.   I HOPE it will be as accurate as my KImber.

Slide to frame fit is only important in shooting the gun from a mechanical rest.  If you sight each shot, its all in the bbl, slide fit!

This has gone on long enough, In fact, numerious BOOKS have been written on the subject.

Just rember, in the end, you will probably spend as much in jigs and tools as you do in parts, that is, if you want to do it right.

Its not out of your league, but it is work.

Respectfully

Terry

Thanks guys for the input; it is greatly appreciated!  I'm looking at using my AD military status to try and sneak into a few gunsmith classes put on by Colt/Remington, etc.  I was just informed by our armorer that Glock was just at our armory putting on classes for anyone that wanted to attend, but no one passed word!

This is just something I think I would enjoy as a hobby.  Not for a profession and the only personal gain would be shooting something I built.  I enjoy working with my hands and figuring out how things work, taking them apart, putting them together, etc. 

Thanks again all...I really appreciate it!