• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recommendations for an upper

Well everything I am seeing is 900+ and some are even $2000.  considering before the chaos you could buy an entire rifle for this price it seems prices are a bit high.

I have a colfax tactical that was 100% machined.  I put a DPMS lower parts kit in it.  It will be .308

I have been looking around and reading, still trying to figure out the good from the bad.  I found Red X Arms reasonable, but are they any good?

http://shop.redxarms.com/RXA-308-X-TREME-20-BULL-UPPER-30820BULLUH.htm

I have a Red X X-Treme on mine. That Fluted/threaded barrel they sell individually, you can order the X-Treme with it in stead of the bull barrel but it costs $425 or something like that. You have to call or email them about it though. That's the package I got BTW.

The X-Treme is pretty heavy and makes your .308 look and feel more like what a .338 Lapua should feel like then a .308. I have a video review (posted below) that shows what that barrel looks like under the hood.

Also, the real economic advantage is the fact that you can order the upper and BCG separately. You can use their BCG (whenever they have them in) or you can get a DPMS. I went with a DPMS and it works just fine as a drop-in BCG.

At their base package, you will be needing to get a BCG and charging handle as well. In the end, the price isn't much better then some of DPMS' base uppers. But you at least DO get the length, stainless feature and the fluting option. In the end, you're going to be spending about $700 minimum on the upper all together. You just don't have to spend it all at once.

Cosmetically, the finish is a little weak and mine at least had a minor burr on the ejection port. It was easy to clean up though. Basically just ran a file back and fourth across the top a few times and cleaned it right up.

Mechanically, I tried some JSP ammo and the soft tips smushed against the feed ramps. I have read and heard in th past that the .308 AR platform in general doesn't like soft tip ammo, so this didn't concearn me too much (I only had them because they were cheap. As soon as I slapped FMJs in, it worked flawlessly. I ended up with a scope that wouldn't adjust low enough so I never got it sighted in, but I discovered it was printing 1 hole groups at 100 yards about 7-8 feet below where I was aiming.

So basically, they did a good job of cheapening it up by cutting corners where safe and doing a good job where it really matters.

So my final opinion, since they cut corners on the finish and final external clean up, I have to say it's worth what you pay for it. But in a practical sense, I think it's an exceptional value for the money. I have no experience with other .308 ARs to compare it with but as a gun in general they work very well.

BTW. If you are wanting to make a one shot purchase of a complete, ready to go upper, I've heard nothing but good about the DPMS Oracle. Midway USA carries them for $599 but they're out of stock ATM and it could be Christmas time before they get them back in.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/361133/dpms-lr-308-oracle-a3-flat-top-upper-assembly-308-winchester-1-in-10-twist-16-heavy-contour-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-glacierguard-handguard-single-rail-gas-block-flash-hider

Edited by MaDuce

If I ever do a side charger it will be an ASA. I like the idea of the non reciprocating charging handle. Im a lefty and that bolt coming at my face scares the bejesus out of me.

I am also a Lefty can you explain what you mean by "non reciprocating charging handle"?   and ASA is short for?

I am also a Lefty can you explain what you mean by "non reciprocating charging handle"?   and ASA is short for?

ASA stands for American Spirit Arms. They're a high-performance manufacturer. Some of the best ARs are actually made by small family manufacturers like them. There seam to be two mega high-versatility AR-15 makers, depending on your preference. Addax tactical for gas piston and ASA for direct impengement. AR-15 performance depends ALLOT on quality control, much more then other guns, so you will get allot more out of an AR-15 carefully made by experts using standard parts then an AR-15 quickly slapped together using fancy parts. Guys like ASA and Addax use the best practical (not necesarally most expensive) parts and carefully hand assemble them, hand tune them and thoroughly test them. They don't look like anything special but they perform extremely well which is why so many people prefer them if they can afford it. If ASA makes a side-charger, that's probably the brand I would go with if I were to get a side charging AR.

As far as the charging handle goes, I myself am unclear but he may be talking about a collapsable or stationary charging handle. If you're a lefty, the handle of a side charging AR-15 is going to get very close to your face at times. I'm guessing it's some sort of charging handle that charges from the side but otherwise works like the standard AR handle, not moving when the gun is fired.

Edited by MaDuce

Yes the charging handle of the ASA is not attached to the carrier and does not move when the gun cycles

asa-ur-ftsc.jpg

LOL. Never seen that before. I can't say I'm surprised though. It's just like ASA to do something like that.

Got it.  So which one does then?  I am used to the rear charging handle on ARs.  This sounds like you are talking about an AR that is similar to my AK.

Judging by the picture, I'd say probably more like the FAL which IMO is just as ackward to the AK as the AR-15. I am guessing the chief advantage is not having to toil as much to rack the bolt.

Edited by MaDuce

I prefer the JP version more. It's even more expensive, but you still get the option of a rear charging handle. It's a lot cleaner looking too. I saw the ASA internally, and it seems a little jenky. Not a lot of engineering forethought went into it. As nice as it looked, it was more like a project from "Sons of Gun" than a real concept.

Adcor Defense makes a forward charging handle. Similar to the old Kaiser Mil AR's (for those that remember that company). It looks ok, but I wasn't 100% taken by the video reviews I watched.

Keep an eye out for the Faxon "ARAK-21" too.

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/06/faxon-firearms-arak-final-testing-december-2012-shot-show-january-2013/

Meh!! I'll stick with what works... for now.

$579 for a .308 plus you need the bolt! I am not that inconvenienced by a rear charging handle.  You are going to lose your sight picture either way.

Like side chargers, I think gas pistons are overrated. So why did I bother getting a gas piston rifle? Well, because I personally know the man who designed and developed it (Chris Haddadian of Addax Tactical) and trust his experties and record unlike anyone else and was in regular communication with them as they did all their R&D and testing on the system as well as learned the science behind it. I got it because the people who made it know what they're doing, have extremely high quality standards and more or less put everything they had in to perfecting it.

In other words, it's not the gas piston I care about, it's the integrity of the product as a whole.

ASA is a little more expensive then normal but they're an exceptional manufacturer. I don't know the story behind that receiver but I am guessing allot of the price goes in to ASA's quality control and R&D. What you are really paying for is a good piece of equipment.

Then again, I haven't looked at their product line in about 6-7 months but I am guessing that a normal ASA upper receiver is going to be less expensive. Generally speaking, ASA is a very good brand to go with if you can afford it. Then again, there's nothign wrong with Red X either that I am aware of.

One step at a time for me.  I am way overspent so just getting it running for now will be fine.  I think the Red X will work.  Just disappointing they will not give some kind of lead time.

Will the Rock River A2 buttstock for the AR10 fit a DPMS lower?

When I say over spent... coming soon sig p290, UZI, bolt action 30-06, 1911 all in the works on top of what I have.

Edited by Stroker396

One step at a time for me.  I am way overspent so just getting it running for now will be fine.  I think the Red X will work.  Just disappointing they will not give some kind of lead time.

Will the Rock River A2 buttstock for the AR10 fit a DPMS lower?

When I say over spent... coming soon sig p290, UZI, bolt action 30-06, 1911 all in the works on top of what I have.

There's nothing wrong with Red X. I have their upper on my gun and I am a satastfiedl customer to say the least. Plus, from what Mr. Robobot is describing, it doesn't sound like ASA's side charger is at all worth it.

If you are trying to stay affordable and over 16 inch, Red X is the way to go. No mechanical issues that I've seen and accuracy comparable to far more expensive guns.

BTW. The owner of Red X arms joined us at AR15armory (a once good board that went south) when they first got their gun business started. You wouldn't believe the negetive reception they got. They were practically treated like criminals. Everyone's singing a different tune now.

I have been on plenty of forums, I understand how fickle they can be.  There are a lot of keyboard commandos.  I am stoked I found something that will work.

Wish money grew on trees, with all the ammo I am going to need, I started pricing out the Dillon reloaders, sure it would pay for itself in a year and the cost looks attractive up front, then you add the extras and boom, like building one of these it gets pricey fast.

One of the nice things about .308 ARs and AR-15s is that these are like lego set guns. .308 AR parts are not as standard as on AR-15s, but there's still plenty of breathing room. With a Sig Sauer or an Uzi you pretty much have to buy the entire package all at once. With ARs you can just buy a thing or 2 here and there until you have a full gun together. Even though complete ARs are expensive, AR building is financially much more relaxed then buying other guns.

You're going to feel the cost of the upper and you may feel the cost of the BCG a little too but after that, it's just a matter of buying a little something here and there.

Because of the conditions of the time, I think you will find the waiting game far more of a head ache then costs.

Amen to that

Right!, Almost a good thing though because I would have been a blackthorne victim.  But I know it, I am waiting on all kinds of stuff, because of it and I paid a slight premium for some things to have them quick.  But I refuse to be into the 2x + prices so I wait. :(

It is tough because I have been told I have the patience of a rattlesnake.