• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

S&W M&P 10

mdufresne

Dressed up my M&P10 with a little Magpul OD green love today :)

post-13744-0-78031300-1366832582_thumb.jpost-13744-0-74664300-1366832691_thumb.jpost-13744-0-32924900-1366832717_thumb.jpost-13744-0-47054700-1366832751_thumb.jpost-13744-0-90229900-1366832794_thumb.j

Everything fit well only mod needed is the heat shield needs to be bent a bit at the barrel nut to fit without scratching barrel. M&P10 is also a bit different as the detent spring for the takedown pin is held in by the grip. As I live in the Republic of Massachusetts I can not have a muzzle device and I must pin the stock, hence the 2 small holes for a roll pin. The mag is a pre-ban Armalite 20 rd that I had to file a bit to open up the mag catch and the front feed lip, other wise I am only alowed a 10 rd mag :( Throwing on a set of Magpul MBUS II flip ups to get some range time in until I can decide what optic to run ???

Everything fit well only mod needed is the heat shield needs to be bent a bit at the barrel nut to fit without scratching barrel.

The most common way to do that is cut the heatshield (one cut oer side of the shield) and bend just that section a little.  Rifle looks good, man. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1094.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1110.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1112.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1113.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1115.JPG

Everything fit well only mod needed is the heat shield needs to be bent a bit at the barrel nut to fit without scratching barrel. M&P10 is also a bit different as the detent spring for the takedown pin is held in by the grip. As I live in the Republic of Massachusetts I can not have a muzzle device and I must pin the stock, hence the 2 small holes for a roll pin. The mag is a pre-ban Armalite 20 rd that I had to file a bit to open up the mag catch and the front feed lip, other wise I am only alowed a 10 rd mag :( Throwing on a set of Magpul MBUS II flip ups to get some range time in until I can decide what optic to run ???

Sorry to be a stickler, but you are wrong on the state laws my friend. I live in Mass, and can tell you that you are allowed a muzzle break or compensator, just no flash hider. Also, your Armalite mag is illegal in that rifle, technically the preban mag needs to be in a preban rifle. Just the facts.

Now that being said, I'd be interested to fondle that nicely modded rifle first hand!

Sorry to be a stickler, but you are wrong on the state laws my friend. I live in Mass, and can tell you that you are allowed a muzzle break or compensator, just no flash hider. Also, your Armalite mag is illegal in that rifle, technically the preban mag needs to be in a preban rifle. Just the facts.

Now that being said, I'd be interested to fondle that nicely modded rifle first hand!

Sorry about that you are correct, no flash hider MB/Comp allowed as long as it is permanently pinned and tacked into place. I made several inquieries as to the mag issue and was assured by 3 seperat reputable shops that the mag is leagal to use as long as it is of pre ban origin !!! I will seek further information on that to be safe. I live in Ashfield and would be happy to find a place to meet in the future !!!

Edited by mdufresne

Sorry about that you are correct, no flash hider MB/Comp allowed as long as it is permanently pinned and tacked into place. I made several inquieries as to the mag issue and was assured by 3 seperat reputable shops that the mag is leagal to use as long as it is of pre ban origin !!! I will seek further information on that to be safe. I live in Ashfield and would be happy to find a place to meet in the future !!!

The shops are wrong, my wife is an attorney for the Ma Superior Court, and we have looked this up before. When I get more time, I will try to find the actual written law and link it to you. The thing is that most people, including most law enforcement, do not have a clear idea because of the way our laws are written in this state. I am only sure because of a trial decision she had wrote for a case she worked on.

This law is often confused by most leo's and gun shops, and they tell people that all it has to be is a preban mag, but if you get caught by someone who knows the law, and has been having a bad day, it can really ruin yours. Just a heads up. Many leo's will not even worry about it unless you are doing something terribly wrong otherwise. 

• 1 month later...

I too live in Ma and have been to Ron Glidden's class. Glidden is the guy who writes most off these laws. A pre-ban mag is a pre ban mag. unless its been altered from its original configuration. IF your analogy was true a person who purchased a Mass complaint AR would be in violation if they used a pre-ban mag in it. The same would be true in regards to using  pre ban mag in a new handgun, for example a new sig P-226 or Beretta 9mm with an older Pre-ban mag. 

I too live in Ma and have been to Ron Glidden's class. Glidden is the guy who writes most off these laws. A pre-ban mag is a pre ban mag. unless its been altered from its original configuration. IF your analogy was true a person who purchased a Mass complaint AR would be in violation if they used a pre-ban mag in it. The same would be true in regards to using  pre ban mag in a new handgun, for example a new sig P-226 or Beretta 9mm with an older Pre-ban mag. 

Yes, Stinx, a pre ban mag used in a post ban rifle is technically not in compliance with the state firearms laws. The problem is, many local gun shops are telling people that it is ok, but it, in fact is not. I can use a preban high cap mag in my Mass compliant Glocks. I can use a high (re: standard) capacity mag in my Colt Sporter. I cannot legally use any pre ban mags in a rifle or pistol not manufactured before the ban. Fact.

That being said, welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay, and I would be happy to help you with any other questions you may have.

P.S. Many law enforcement officials will not bother you with a pre ban mag, unless you are doing something seriously wrong, are a known offender, or a gang member or street criminal. But I would be safe….