• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Summer Scratch Build

Haystack

First A little history on me; I am into long range shooting (750+ yards if I can see it with my naked eye its to close). I have never owned a 308/7.62X51 caliber. Although I do use a 300 WM, and use a 223 quite often. I am a target shooter more than a hunter, but I occasionally shoot hogs for local farmers to rid them of the nuisance creatures.

Haystack, from your first post^^ If you plan to shoot 750+ yards as stated above the heaver bullets(165 -180 grain) will preform better at those distances. The 1 in 10" twist rate will stabilize the heaver bullets a little better than the 1 in 11.25" twist rate. That being said either twist rate will do the job with the typical 147-175 grain bullets. 

You mentioned using mil-surplus ammo, you would not want to shoot hogs with FMJ bullets.If you're going to shoot long distance you pretty much have to stick with the same ammo or re sight in your rifle every time you change ammo as your point of impact will be way off. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What your saying is their that their is no happy median for long and closer range shooting. So when I decide to go shoot closer range stuff I need to use heavier ammo for an 11.25 barrel. So a 10 inch barrel would be better at distance with 165+grain. While a 12 would be better for up close light shots?

What your saying is their that their is no happy median for long and closer range shooting. So when I decide to go shoot closer range stuff I need to use heavier ammo for an 11.25 barrel. So a 10 inch barrel would be better at distance with 165+grain. While a 12 would be better for up close light shots?

That's not necessarily true. I'm running a 1:10 twist that works really well with the lighter rounds at close range and I can still rely on my heavier rounds at long range, and of course heavier rounds also do well at shorter ranges too, but only the slower twist will help the light rounds at significant distances, which isn't really practical anyways unless you want a varmint gun.

No, what I'm saying is both the 1-10" twist rate  &  the 1-11.25" are happy medians. They should do equally well with the most common weight 308 bullets (147 -175). If you knew that you would be using predominately light  bullets say 120 to 150 you probably would be better off with a 1 -11.25" or 1 - 12" twist rate. Likewise if you planned to use predominately heavy bullets 175 - 220  you probably would be better off with a 1-10" twist rate.

Far more important than twist rate is finding the ammo that your barrel likes best.

When I talked to the guys at Jense Precision, I originally requested a 1:11.25 twist. They advised that that twist is great, if you plan to only shoot 168gr. Heavier proj's will still be needed a tighter twist. They said that modern metallurgy allows better made barrels. They advised that if you are buying a high quality, custom barrel (like theirs) it should be able to handle higher than normal pressure. They told me to go for a 1:10 and feel secure shooting as light as 147gr NATO or as heavy as I can chamber.

Mr. Cross if I might ask; does the make/model of my receivers effect my barrel choice? I intend to use medium-heavy weight bullets and shoot from 25 to 1K yards. So I should go with a steeper barrel? Cause I'll probably use off the shelf Federal and Hornady ammo.for awhile until I get stuff to reload with. Does anyone have experience shooting that range? If so what rate of twist and maker do you use?

Edited by Haystack

Mr. Cross if I might ask; does the make/model of my receivers effect my barrel choice? I intend to use medium-heavy weight bullets and shoot from 25 to 1K yards. So I should go with a steeper barrel? Cause I'll probably use off the shelf Federal and Hornady ammo.for awhile until I get stuff to reload with. Does anyone have experience shooting that range? If so what rate of twist and maker do you use?

Your choice of barrel type will determine which type of bolt and gas system you must use. Armalite (AR10) and DPMS(SR25/LR308/etc etc) have their own proprietary bolt and gas systems, so it's practical to factor that into your barrel buying decision. I myself am very happy with an 18.5 mid-weight profile 1:10 twist barrel from Fulton Armory, it has done very well with everything I've run through it, but the heavier the bullet, the better it performs.

I found a Krieger barrel and bolt on Gunbroker that is said to have a low round count. 20 inch barrel, 1 in 10 twist fluted barrel. It has been headspaced by Krieger but the price scares me. But a known bolt that matches the barrel would be better than buying a $500 barrel then a $330 bcg

Edited by Haystack

There is no perfect answer...or there would only be one option out there. It sounds like you have a lot of what you want worked out. I know people like used stuff, but with the rest of your posts I get the feeling you are after a rather "nice" build. That being said...I wouldn't gamble on a barrel from an unknown person. If you found one used from someone you knew or could trust...sure, but why not buy a new barrel you can count on being new and not abused. You seem to like high end stuff...so it ain't gonna be cheap.

I might be wrong, but you can use either barrel extension with the MaTEN right? It uses the DPMS/SR25 mags and I believe it will work with either system no? I've read the battle of who has the better bolt Armalite or "the other" and it seems to go round and round with strong opinions from each side. Don't think you can go wrong with either. Again...if one of them was perfect....there wouldn't be the other.

Yes; MaTen compatibility is SR25/Armalite/DPMS/Noveske. Barrel and bolt have to be the same. Yes this will be the gooder than better build. Not proper grammar, but oh well. I like quality stuff. Especially if its made right here in the U.S.A. I like to keep my money home, and support local businesses. I don't mind used parts, but with the barrel if it's truly 200 rounds that's a barrel break in. Money and ammo I don't have to spend. But on the other hand its used, not new, and if its a dud. I'm out the money. I like new stuff, I'm gonna go with a 1:10 Krieger if I can find one new. I have the local gunshop looking for a barrel and bcg. Quality/precision are key in this build. Kinda hoping somebody on here might have barrel to spare. But if not, I will find one on Gunbroker. Patience is key

Edited by Haystack

Yeah. I'm hoping I cam come across a Krieger or a Lothar Walther. I know a pro rifle builder. (Scratch builds Ar type stuff in Oklahoma) but I think hes a bit high end for me. But if hes got it. I need it, and time is money. I gotta get a barrel here pretty quick

Anybody use a JP barrel or bolt/carrier? They sell an ultramatch barr with an already headspaced bolt, and sell carriers as well. Think total for bolt&carrier/bcg and barrel would be around 800. Is that an unreal price for a bcg and barrel combo? 11:37 PM Noveske barrel in stock ready to ship.$560.00+s/h. How good are Noveske barrels?

Edited by Haystack

Gonna get a $200 .308 barrel to play with. Gonna order a Krieger 1 in 10 heavy barrel; 22 inches long; threaded end; rifle gas system. Should I get the barrel fluted; to me it's more esthetic than practical. I know it helps cool the barrel; but is it really as effective as what everyone says? Weight isn't an issue for me.

Gonna get a $200 .308 barrel to play with. Gonna order a Krieger 1 in 10 heavy barrel; 22 inches long; threaded end; rifle gas system. Should I get the barrel fluted; to me it's more esthetic than practical. I know it helps cool the barrel; but is it really as effective as what everyone says? Weight isn't an issue for me.

Less time and effort and expense invested in your barrel unfluted, go for it.

One last stock question. Magpul PRS or get a Magpul CTR and a Battleline Industries SAPR. I know the PRS is adjustable in l.o.p. and comb, but not overall length. While the CTR and S.A.P.R. can adjust overall length, moveable comb, and minute l.o.p. Which is preferred?