• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Summer Scratch Build

Haystack

Admin. if this is in the wrong board please correct it to the right place.

Alright, as the above title says. This Summers "Summer Project" is to build an AR-10 type rifle. First A little history on me; I am into long range shooting (750+ yards if I can see it with my naked eye its to close). I have never owned a 308/7.62X51 caliber. Although I do use a 300 WM, and use a 223 quite often. I am a target shooter more than a hunter, but I occasionally shoot hogs for local farmers to rid them of the nuisance creatures. This build I intend to be a gun I use for the rest of my life, so no second rate parts; the best (within reason, not Titanium) is what I'll use to build it. This will be a long-range hunting and target build. I want serious accuracy. From other peoples references  I am leaning towards a Mega MATEN ambi. receiver set; However their are other manufacturers that have a slight edge in my opinion: an SI Defense matched set, or possibly an Armalite if parts will lineup. But as with anything that requires me spending a great deal of money I have done some research on the above manufacturers and have read nothing bad about any one of them. (Besides minor parts fit discrepancies, can't make everybody happy right?) But I will more than likely use a Bartlein or Krieger barrel as their current specs. hold true to sub MOA. (Or another barrel manufacturer depending upon yalls opinions.) A BCG from the manufacturer of the barrel or whomever yall say produces the best one, a Giselle 2 stage trigger, a MAGPUL stock ,a RISR from Larue Tactical, and a forend from either YHM or another manufacturer. (I prefer to have rail, or be able to add rail sections to add a bipod/forward grip. I can always get rail covers)

What worries me is that with a 308 AR pattern rifle is having a forward assist necessary? I keep all of my firearms cleaned, and maintained, so is having a forward assist necessary to the 308 platform? The MEGA upper is void of the forward assist which bothers me, but if it is not necessary no worries.

I ask for yall honest opinions on what I have selected and please if you feel that I am incorrect tell me, you won't hurt my feelings any. This is intended to be my summer project, their is a budget, but its not going to be a "budget build". The honest best parts are what I like. That way I'm not replacing anything later, and they are true and well made.

-Haystack

Edited by Haystack

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. You'll find everything you need here along with some pretty helpful guys. Keep your wallet hidden because some of these men are skilled in the art of convincing you to spend every cent you hold...along with every ounce of credit you have free. I have limited experience with the builds...I have one 308AR and don't get it out enough to know yes/no on the forward assist. If you like the look of the MA-TEN, I say go for it.

What worries me is that with a 308 AR pattern rifle is having a forward assist necessary? I keep all of my firearms cleaned, and maintained, so is having a forward assist necessary to the 308 platform? The MEGA upper is void of the forward assist which bothers me, but if it is not necessary no worries.

Welcome, Haystack. The forward assist was also an issue for me when I first began looking for a receiver group for an AR-308. One brand that caught my eye over and over again was the Mega MATEN. This is ultimately what I built off of and haven't been let down. The billet design and reputation sold me. However, the forward assist provides a few advantages that most will not need. The assist is (IMO) primarily used to properly lock the bolt completely forward when the environment might have led to a dirty rifle that could jam or the need to ride the bolt forward slowly and lock it into place. Hitting the bolt catch, as we all know, is loud and doing this when silence is key could be a problem. I'm sure a few of our more knowledgeable members can add to this. A gunsmith I trust also added that, with the .308, the ammo quality and receiver machining has advanced so much that the forward assist is not as necessary as it used to be. This is a bit simply stated but it has its merits.

Personally, I would never go to war with an AR that didn't have a forward assist. Key term: war. I doubt many of us need it for that purpose so I would tell you not to worry. Your rifle will largely be a bench/target rifle. You mentioned you do take down hogs and the forward assist would still be unnecessary for this. Well....as long as your not too close to your target. I say go for it. I still reach for my imaginary forward assist on my Mega out of habit though.

welcome. I'm guessing you're in texas if you are doing long range shooting nuisance hogs (as here in Florida you're rarely able to see them more than 100 yards off due to ground cover.

The forward assist on a 308 is a luxury item, definitely not a requirement at all. the gas pressure on the 308 is high enough that your bolt will be cycling hard enough to not need it. I have one on my upper, but i'd be totally fine with a semi-slick side - given how the 308's kick out ejecting I like having the deflector. I haven't used mine in 400 rounds of crappy mil surplus ammo, and doubt I ever will use it.

Where I shoot range distance is from the top of a break; I remember correctly we can see around 6 miles from the top. I target shoot from their. When I pig shoot I'm usually on the top of a piece of parked machinery, or on foot. I don't particularly like to trek through Mesquite thickets to find them we use the vast expanses of farm land so we can see quite a ways off. So I don't need to worry about the forward assist, but what about my other parts selections?

So I don't need to worry about the forward assist, but what about my other parts selections?

I also vote for MATEN receivers. Your barrel choices are great. Stock, trigger, are also good ones. I personally would choose a different rail, but that is me. Welcome to the forum, enjoy our funhouse!

I have handled one of the NEMO 300 Win. Mag AR's and man are they a beauty to hold, if I had $6K I'd have one! I like the Troy and Centurion Rails, but I don't like the clamp on rail. I fear I'd some how knock it off center. I like the rail that mounts by I believe bolting onto the barrel nut (?) It has a weird spider-clamp on thing. I think its by Lake Machine? I don't know exactly what its called but I think it looks WICKED!

Edited by Haystack

I'm not too sure what your looking for beyond the recommendations. There are single rail on top designs, quad, ultra light tube style, etc. You said you like the mono design and precision reflex can be built to meet that type of rail and tricked out for a number of variations...very nice products. Keep in mind that you can slap a rail attachment on this to run the length of the receiver and forearm.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186640&CAT=4820

...or you can get on this email list below for Rainier and just buy the mono from Mega. They will restock but you'll likely wait months or longer since they are highly sought after.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3477

Edited by jrtmasp

Robo has a nice recommendation with the Wilson product. KAC needs no introduction...also very nice.

I dug up a pic of what I was referring to with the Precision and the full length top rail, which would really strengthen the upper...I believe it's an AR-15 but you get the point.

post-13504-0-06152700-1370232796_thumb.j

Edited by jrtmasp

• 2 weeks later...

I have a random question that bugs me; my AR will eat whatever I feed it 5.56 or 223. Can I build an Ar10 that will eat both 7.62 and 308 so I can shoot match 308 ammo and military BALL 7.62? Or is that one of the quirks of the Ar10 using only one ammo or the other?

I have a random question that bugs me; my AR will eat whatever I feed it 5.56 or 223. Can I build an Ar10 that will eat both 7.62 and 308 so I can shoot match 308 ammo and military BALL 7.62? Or is that one of the quirks of the Ar10 using only one ammo or the other?

You will be fine to shoot both, but I suggest breaking it in with .308 match ammo and a crap ton of lube!

So as long as its assembled and head spaced it should do fine to run on either ammunition. Just run it on 308 for awhile to break it in?

That's correct. Just make sure the headspacing is done properly. Mine was great with .308 but had extremely tight headspacing on 7.62x51. After a few hundred rounds, I tested it with M80 ball and it fired it flawlessly.

Go with Edge on the .308 to start off with. No need to fire ultra high end rounds but start off with good quality stuff for the first few hundred or so. A lot of it is preference. Some refuse to use anything but the best while others don't want to waste the money. I would zero in with quality stuff after break-in. When it's time, grab a few different 20 rd boxes (Black Hills, Hornady, etc) and find out what your rifle likes and zero in with that.

Edited by jrtmasp