• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Moopey's Quentin Defense Build Thread

moopey

Well after much anticipation my Quentin Defense billet .308 lower arrived today. I received the upper a couple weeks ago but have been waiting for the lower before starting this thread.

This is my first AR build and I'm looking forward to completing it. I have a lot of parts on order. Hopefully they will arrive soon so I can start assembling the lower.

Parts List: (will be ongoing as I source more parts)
Quentin Defense .308 Billet Lower
Quentin Defense .308 Billet Upper (slick side)
.762 Industries Bolt Carrier Group
DPMS Charging Handle
CAA Pistol Grip

Lower after I picked it up from C+F Guns in Middleboro
316m43p.jpg

Lower with CAA Grip
169opkz.jpg

Lower & Upper Logo Side
amdpit.jpg

Lower & Upper with bolt
2rfenf5.jpg

762 Industries Bolt
wcjosk.jpg

a4pyl0.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA. A closet is right. I like the people there. They gotta clean the place up a little bit though. It doesn't take too long for it feel cluttered since it's so small. I tried doing my transfer at Zero Hour Arms in Easton, but they refused when Quentin Defense called to verify their FFL info. They said they don't do out of state transfers. I thought that was odd. I then chose C+F and that went smoothly.

Now if only the delivery UPS and USPS delivery men would should up with some new toys!!

Well, sounds like a plan. I already know you have good taste by going to C&F. It's a closet of a gun store but I use them too. Great guys that go the extra mile to bring ammo to the Southeast, when no one else has any.

HAHA. A closet is right. I like the people there. They gotta clean the place up a little bit though. It doesn't take too long for it feel cluttered since it's so small. I tried doing my transfer at Zero Hour Arms in Easton, but they refused when Quentin Defense called to verify their FFL info. They said they don't do out of state transfers. I thought that was odd.

Screw Zero Hour Arms, that business is a ripoff. They wanted something like $95 to pin my brake. I found someone that did a top notch job for less than half that. They weren't that helpful answering a few questions over the phone either. A mouse may not be able to squeeze a fart into C&F but they're helpful and won't hassle you about BS. If they can bring it into the state then they will. The two owners are little strange but most gun store owners are a bit odd near us anyways.

As far as out-of-state transfers go, that's just plain lazy. Apparently Zero Hour doesn't know its own state laws and doesn't like money.

Edited by jrtmasp

Got a few packages yesterday.

Buffer, tube, and spring from Slash's Heavy Buffers. Great service
Ambidextrous safety and ALG trigger from Battle Arms Development, Inc.. Also great service
and as previously posted the barrel from Fulton Armory. I also got one of their 308 magazines which is not pictured.

I though the buffer tube would come with the end plate and castle nut, but it did not. So I can't completely assemble my lower until I find them somewhere. I also need to find an AR wrench.

2m663op.jpg

Excellent! Depending on where you are and when you get those parts, I have a wrench you can use if you don't buy one. (I suggest it for the future, in anycase, as I know that just putting a build together is pricey) You'll have to let me know, or maybe jrtmasp may have one, he is much closer to you. I will send mine if you need it.

Now this is the kind of stuff that I love hearing. That's why I love this place.

How many beers you gonna charge him Mr. State Policeman? <lmao>

Didn't you know, they get paid in coffee and doughnuts!  C:-)  :drool: dooouughnnnuttss uuuuuuhhhhhhh. <lmao>  <laughs>

I better go get some ammo, he's coming! :bat:

Well, that will be enough from you two. The closest I get to a donut is pealing out after someone.

...It would be a terrible shame if Edge got any special packages that might draw attention to him while he's being re-educated at New Braintree. Terrible terrible shame...what's your favorite color? Just curious.

Didn't you know, they get paid in coffee and doughnuts!  C:-)  :drool: dooouughnnnuttss uuuuuuhhhhhhh. <lmao>  <laughs>

And you............before you start laughing. Aren't you trying to be one of them? Just sayin.................. <laughs>

I gathered my new parts and assembly the lower tonight

ALG Trigger
Phase 5 308 Bolt Catch
Battle Arms ambidextrous selector
Heavy buffer, spring, and tube
All other lower parts are from a DPMS parts kit.

This was my first time assembling a lower, I cheated and watched a youtube video. haha. It wasn't very difficult. I think it was a little easier since there are no roll pins on this lower.

I dropped the BCG and charging handle in and tested the Phase 5 bolt catch. I'm VERY disappointed in this part. It works, but it feels very flimsy. It seems a tad bit touchy. I'm curious to see how it reacts/works while at the range. Also it doesn't line up all that great with the upper. Not happy considering how much money the thing cost. It'll work for now as I figure out my options.

Also slapped a magazine in there to test the mag release. That worked also.

Anyways. Enjoy the pics.

mvotvr.jpg

33kf3ol.jpg

r7psuf.jpg

1z5olmh.jpg

qsupe8.jpg

3357a68.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Update:

I received my troy rail today so I installed the barrel, gas block and gas tube and finished off with the rail. I then proceeded to check the head spacing with a set of Forster GO/NO Go gauges. I followed the instructions and removed the extractor and re-assembled the BCG. I did not remove the ejector or ejector spring. 

With the upper off of the lower I closed the BCG without a gauge, closes completely. Then I placed the GO gauge in and the BCG will not close. As I push it closed I can feel the tension from the ejector. I get the same result from the NO GO gauge. 

Should I be removing anything else from the BCG? There's a pretty decent gap with either gauge.

So far it's been a night of disappointments between these headspace issues and the Troy rail not lining up with the QD lower.....awesome.

I can take pics of the BCG gap tonight, but I won't be able to get good pics of the rifle or rail alignment till tomorrow.

Any info on the headspace would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gap in chamber with extractor removed form bolt
s47tc9.jpg

This pic shows the BCG sticking out of the upper.
359hj0h.jpg