• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Moopey's Quentin Defense Build Thread

moopey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did watched that video. The instructions for the Forster gauges only say to remove the extractor so that's all I did. I guess they could of meant the ejector pin also. A member on another forum has said repeatedly that the Forester gauges do not require removal of the pin. I will try taking the bolt completely apart tonight. I just need to find a set of punches. I haven't needed them till now.

I did watched that video. The instructions for the Forster gauges only say to remove the extractor so that's all I did. I guess they could of meant the ejector pin also. A member on another forum has said repeatedly that the Forester gauges do not require removal of the pin. I will try taking the bolt completely apart tonight. I just need to find a set of punches. I haven't needed them till now.

I have seen that info put out in reference to the gauges but more I've spoken to say strip it down. Be careful doing it because removing that roll pin can be a pain. Once you've done it a few times, it gets easy.

Sorry about those sh!tty results you seem to be getting. I've never experienced this problem so maybe someone who has or knows the best route can comment for you. I haven't heard of any problems with those barrels but not sure about your bolt.

All I can offer you is a quality gunsmith who I believe lives in your town. PM if you do end up wanting to go down that road.

Edited by jrtmasp

If you know anyone else with a working .308, ask to try their bolt in your rifle. If it works, then you know the barrel is ok.

Most barrel makers are fast to fix problems. I had this same issue with a 7.62x39 YHM barrel. After two bolts failed to fit, I sent the barrel back. They replaced it for me that week.

You might ask if you can ship the bolt with the barrel.

Sorry about those sh!tty results you seem to be getting. I've never experienced this problem so maybe someone who has or knows the best route can comment for you. I haven't heard of any problems with those barrels but not sure about your bolt.

All I can offer you is a quality gunsmith who I believe lives in your town. PM if you do end up wanting to go down that road.

Please PM his info. I was recently given on another forum for a gunsmith also in Taunton. I wonder if you're thinking of the same person. If so, I live like a mile from him.

jrtmasp and I met up this morning at his range to see if we could diagnose the problem. After putting my bolt in his rifle and seeming ok, he tried his in my rifle and it didn't seem right. We ended up putting my entire BCG assembly into his rifle and it seemed to be fine. He then fire one shot and it worked flawlessly. This confirmed that the problem is with the barrel. I'll be contacting Fulton Armory tomorrow to see what say. 

Thanks again Jay!

At least you can have a sense of security knowing you bought from a reliable and reputable source. I have no doubt Fulton Armory will take care of you. There's a high likelyhood the chamber wasn't reamed deep enough. They may just fix and return the barrel, they may send you a complete new barrel. In either case I'm sure FA will have you shooting soon.

jrtmasp and I met up this morning at his range to see if we could diagnose the problem. After putting my bolt in his rifle and seeming ok, he tried his in my rifle and it didn't seem right. We ended up putting my entire BCG assembly into his rifle and it seemed to be fine. He then fire one shot and it worked flawlessly. This confirmed that the problem is with the barrel. I'll be contacting Fulton Armory tomorrow to see what say.

Thanks again Jay!

Don't mention it, you live close enough where it's not inconvenient at all and we could diagnose the problem with a quick range trip. The best part is having the security of knowing what the problem is and that your BCG is GTG. You have a nice setup and I'm sure you'll have it up and running in no time. Edited by jrtmasp

So I called Fulton Armory this afternoon. The conversation didn't go exactly as I had I expected to. After being talked downed to for a couple minutes and being told I should of bought a bolt from them numerous times, it seems my only course of action is to send them my barrel and stripped bolt, pay them a fee of $50 to check the head spacing and then from there I'll either have to pay for them to modify the barrel or bolt, or buy a bolt from them. Seems like I'm going to have to pay either way for not buying their bolt.

I specifically asked "so this isn't just a case of the barrel being defective and returning it?". His response was "no, the barrel isn't defective." He seemed annoyed by this question. When he mentioned buying a bolt from them, my response was that I'd really like to use the bolt I've already purchased. He said he understood, but couldn't really comment on what the outcome would be without looking at everything, which I get. I had a feeling I might have to send the bolt back with the barrel. Jay had mentioned that. But having to pay for shipping back and forth, and the diagnostic fee, and then whatever other fee kind of bothered me.

Oh and to top it all off.....When discussing shipping I asked what the shipping address was. The guys response was a wise ass comment like "we only have one" or some poop. Like I was an idiot for asking....."Don't you have an invoice?" I finally just said that I could get it from their website I just wanted to make sure that was the same address to ship things to. Then finally to wrap it all up I said "and what's your name again Sir?" his response in a condescending tone....."I'm Clint. The owner". So apparently being a dick goes all the way to the top.

No offense brother, but having bought your bolt and barrel from completely different places and manufacturers, the charges for shipping and matching them aren't really undue. Fulton has no way of guaranteeing fitment and headspace with everybody who lays claim to building off a specific pattern or specification. The way I see it, they are still offering to resolve your problem even though your headspace issue isn't necessarily of their making. As a business person it would only make sense to charge a fair and appropriate fee to match another manufacturer's bolt to your barrel. You need to speak with the manufacturer of your bolt, as it is likely the responsible component. FA has an excellent reputation for the quality of their product, and it is likely that their assumptions about your issues are correct.

Wishing you luck brother, it's never fun to iron out the wrinkles, but it always feels good to resolve it and fire those first rounds through a fully functioning weapon. Keep us posted on how things work out...

After talking to Jay from this forum I knew it would be a possibility to have to send my bolt and barrel to them. So that wasn't a surprise. It was just the guys attitude that turned me off. And the $50 diagnostic fee....for what? I already told them it was a headspace issue, and if they want to double check it should that really be a $50 fee? I'm more than happy to pay for them to match the components. My gripe was I'd be $75-$100 deep before even finding out what the total cost to fix the issue would be. and at that point they could charge me whatever they want knowing they have me between a rock and a hard place.....don't want to buy our bolt.....pay these fees.....don't want to pay these fees.....buy our bolt. Seems to me that their system pretty much guarantees them money.

I'll bring it to someone local before giving them any more money unless I really really have to.

thanks for wishing me luck. I just want to finish this build so it goes boom. haha.

That sucks and is a surprising response. I originally would have expected it would have been the bolt because I'm fairly certain that we have the same one. I've mentioned that I had a very tight fit (on 7.62) but never had an issue turning on a go gauge.

I would recommend taking it to that gunsmith that we spoke about if your having problems with FA. He's much more experienced in these matters than either of us and might be able to ease your mind and help you out at a minimal cost. However, if he happens to confirm the same results and says there's no way around it without machining work then you might be out even more money. Tough call.

I wonder how much of this FA is seeing with these new BCG's out there. I would sell the bolt and get a FA bolt. They own both pieces then. They have been doing this longer than most, they know their parts.

I got to tell you guys all these new companies rushing parts to market with little or no budgets and minimal R&D is very concerning. Making a precision part is one thing. Having a complete understanding of how the rifle functions and what dimensions are critical to proper function and safety might be something else.

Personally I am not a fan of risking my face to do testing for others.

Hell I recall Matt's .308 Young MFG carrier was not right and these guys are the best in the business with the AR15 stuff.

One of the things Manta is pushing for is a set of published specs rather than everyone trying to reverse engineer.

I understand everyone is anxious and parts are hard to come by and it's forcing many to buy hardware from unknown or lesser knowns. This is one of the reasons we push the headspace verification here. I commend the OP for not just "going for it" with blind trust and risking personal injury. This topic could be very different had he not.

Thanks for the advice everyone and for constantly stating the importance for checking the headspacing. There are many people on the other forum I frequent that say it's not a big deal. That clearly isn't true. I'll be bring it to the gunsmith to get his opinion and if it requires machining, so be it. Out of curiosity I looked on Fulton Armory's website and I only saw carriers listed. I didn't see any bolts, which confuses me. I shall keep you all posted. 

I borrowed some dummy rounds from a friend and cycled them through about a dozen times. The bolt would close on the dummy round if I let the BCG slam it home. Because of this, it didn't close all the time. It was also sometimes very hard to extract a round. After a few cycles I noticed some decent scratches that ran the length of the case were starting to form.