• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Moopey's Quentin Defense Build Thread

moopey

update: I dropped the rifle off at a local gunsmith. He confirmed that the barrel needed to be reamed out a couple/few thousands of an inch in order for the bolt to close. I just picked up today and it's good to go. I also had him pin the muzzle while he was at it. Total cost was $125. I'm glad I opted to have him take care of everything rather than send it back to Fulton Armory.

The smith brought it to the range and put some rounds through to make sure all is well. He also mentioned that people at the range might not be too happy if a go to the station next to them. I guess the rifle is pretty loud. haha. I can't wait to shoot it for myself!

I asked him if this was a typical problem (since I'm still new to AR building) and he stated that this was first time he had to do this, which was interesting. It's all good now though.

Thanks again for all the help. Stay tuned for a range report.

Edited by moopey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gunsmith is always required to proper head space a Bolt ,its printed any where you buy a barrel for a build .Some don't need it , well most & a few will.

The fact that this BCG worked in a broken in firearm , shows nothing of the condition of the other barrel . Its not the barrel or upper receiver you are trying to fit it to.

Since this NIB stuff is fairly new & mostly works, but new manufacturers popping up all over to fill voids , there are going to be growing pains & with all manufactured goods , some won't be exactly right , just the way it is .

Sounds like you took it to the right guy , also good ,as said , that you checked into some thing you thought was not right.

Now ,bust some caps !         We await your range report.

Went to the range this morning. I took my magpul flip up sights off of my AR and put them on the .308 temporarily. I had a small window of time at the range so I couldn't zero them in. A buddy of mine brought a bolt action .308 so I could compare. I think it was a Ruger.

I didn't hit many targets with my rifle, but it ran well. I put about 30 rounds through it. No failures to feed or extract. I was originally worried about the phase 5 bolt catch but it worked fine. Recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The thing is friggin loud though, which put a smile on my face. After shooting my rifle a few times I then tried my friends bolt action. It definitely had more recoil. It didn't really hurt my shoulder but I could feel it more through my head since I had my cheek resting on the stock....if that makes sense. His bolt action was dead nuts accurate with just iron sights which was pretty cool. 

All in all I'm happy with the way my .308 turned out. I have a new low profile hand guard coming in next week and that should take care of the only outstanding issue.

Now I need to decide If I want to invest in better iron sights or just get a scope. Part of me would rather just keep the magpuls as backup and take the $200 I would spend on irons and put it towards a scope.

I took some video on my phone. I just need to figure out how to get it online.

Back up sights are soooo over rated. What are people backing up? I can understand if you were in a combat zone. Or maybe you had a multi-optic competition that transitioned between irons and optics.

Why does a bench rifle need back up sights? Or even a hunting rifle for that matter? If my optics went out at either of those functions, i'd pack it up and change rifles.

If you say, "I just want them!" That's plenty of reason to own them. I like the 'look' too. I just don't want people to think they NEED the back up sights. Want alone is justification in this group! Lol

I also believe if they are "back ups", then why waste a lot money on something you'll never use? Magpul MBUS sights are sturdy, reliable, accurate, and best of all relatively inexpensive. I personally love the MBUS sights. I like them more than my Troy Di-Optic tritium sights. I get MBUS sights for about $75 a set, and my Troy sights cost over $200... WTF was I thinking? They do the exact same thing. In fact, the only reason why I haven't replaced the Troy sights with MBUS sights is because I haven't put a scope on yet. Once I pick an optic for it, I'll swap out for Magpul's and do something else with the Troys.

I spent way too much time deciding on iron sights when I build mine. I bought some Troy tritium battlesights and am happy with them but will honestly end up moving them to another build, probably for a AR15. They were very expensive and don't even serve much of a purpose on my Mega besides the breakin period of firing. Irons are very overrated on this platform for distance shooting. I see more of a purpose for the KAC offset$ vs anything else. However, it all comes down to personal preference. Some just like having the option and I can't blame them.

Edited by jrtmasp