• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

single stage presses

Jgun

I'm thinking about purchasing a singlr stage press for precision .308 loading. I've already got a Lee single stage, nothing wrong with it, but thought I'd get something beefier. I've got a Dillon progressive that is supposed to work OK for .308, but, for right now, I'm considering the Forster coaxle. Are any members using this press? Any advice, can anyone suggest where to get the best price?

from all that I know, bothering with the super precision reloading isn't really worth it if you are primarily talking about through a 308 AR. If its a bolt action you're reloading for, that's different. But the tolerances and bolt locking, gas blowback etc of the 308 AR platform adds enough variables that the little bit of difference precision reloading gives disappears. Plus theres the question of short base vs full length as well, and most precision reloading uses the full length dies.

from all that I know, bothering with the super precision reloading isn't really worth it if you are primarily talking about through a 308 AR. If its a bolt action you're reloading for, that's different. But the tolerances and bolt locking, gas blowback etc of the 308 AR platform adds enough variables that the little bit of difference precision reloading gives disappears. Plus theres the question of short base vs full length as well, and most precision reloading uses the full length dies.

I don't have any interest in being argumentative about this, but simply put, I don't agree with you. Talk to some of the top of the line AR builders out there and they will tell you that most of the things that make a bolt gun superbly accurate also apply to ARs. I hadn't had my LR-308 for the first week before I could see the accuracy difference between off the shelf ammo and handloads. Just my .02 though brother, we all have our own point of view. :)

I don't have any interest in being argumentative about this, but simply put, I don't agree with you. Talk to some of the top of the line AR builders out there and they will tell you that most of the things that make a bolt gun superbly accurate also apply to ARs. I hadn't had my LR-308 for the first week before I could see the accuracy difference between off the shelf ammo and handloads. Just my .02 though brother, we all have our own point of view. :)

I am basing it more on what I've read and conversations than on personal experience as I'm just starting at reloading. That's why I started with "from all that I know" :)

Jgun, I use a single stage press for all my target loads & hunting ammo I make for others.  I feel I have better control of quality with one, just me

Load with what ever you are comfortable with, your have made a good choice of a press , go with it .

How's your competition shooting going with the 300BLK ?

Been busy so was not able to get back to check this before now. Thanks for the responses. Regarding the single vs progressive question. I believe that for match ammo and groups, the ability to measure each charge individually is helpful whether shooting from a bolt or semi auto. I do agree that some of the abuse the rd takes during loading in a semi, negates the extreme efforts some bench rest bolt shooters go to in order to make perfectly concentric rds. The reason I am exploring the benefits of loading high quality rds is because i have built two guns, one a .308 AR with a Lothar barrel that came with a very tight chamber. The other, an M1A that I've built using a krieger barrel that I've chambered myself using a match reamer to get a tight chamber of minimum headspace. Both of these guns are very selective of which factory loaded ammo will fit. The ones that I've found to be 100% reliable are the federal Gold Metal Match, and the American Eagle. Many of the other brands that fit in my other .308s will not chamber in these two. I've ordered the Redding small base full length sizing die and the micrometer seating die. I intend to load 168 and 175 SMKs. I believe that I will be more connected (read pay more attention) to the process if I use a single stage, at least initially. I'd  like to see just how well I can get the two to group. Later on I intend to move to the progressive to see if there is any difference in the performance. I've heard that the tool heads from Whidden Gun works are a good addition to the Dillon 650 if going for precision rifle, and may try one.

regarding the 300BLK competition loads, since the Safe Act, I have not been actively shooting the matches. Even before then, I had come to the realization that I prefered shooting my MATEN carbine in the matches and was using that. I'd like to build a suppressed 300 SBR and work on some load development for that, but that will have to wait until I've moved to a free state.

I'll be running my AAC 762-SD. That is......until I pick up my 762 SDN-6. Of course......that is if I can find any ammo for the damn thing. I'm probably gonna build a 556 SBR upper for it while I'm trying to track down some ammo for it.

I'm not set up for reloading yet. After a couple more builds, I'm probably gonna get tooled up for loading my own stuff.