• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Springfield Armord XDm and RMR sight

Microgunner

I'm thinking of sending my XDm9 to L&M Custom to have the slide milled for a Trijicon RMR sight and suppressor sights installed.

After handling a FN FNS-45 Tactical with a RMR installed I've been thinking of this set up.

My XDm9 is one of my favorite combat pistols (especially after the trigger work) and my first choice for this adaptation.

I believe the XDm9 is the full sized combat pistol I'd keep above all others if push came to shove. Even above the 1911s.

Any thoughts?

Oh no!!! I've been tempted to do the same thing to my Sig P220.

Check out www.customizedcreationz.com too. They mill the RMR mount directly into the slide, so that the sight sits lower. Normally you have to add a mount, which then requires suppressor sights. This way you can use standard sights!!

Do it!

That's what I like, enablers. Yeah, hell yeah.

Oh no!!! I've been tempted to do the same thing to my Sig P220.

Check out www.customizedcreationz.com too. They mill the RMR mount directly into the slide, so that the sight sits lower. Normally you have to add a mount, which then requires suppressor sights. This way you can use standard sights!!         

Outstanding! Thanks for the tip/link.

Sure thing!

Normally a company just mills a flat spot to place the MRDS mount. CustomizedCreationz actually mills a mount out of your slide. Not having to add a mount drops the MRDS another 1/8"-1/4" depending on the mount/sight.

You just have to send them the slide and the sight you want mounted.

I doubt it is a true cowitness. I expect it to be a lower 1/3-cowitness.

As long as the irons see through the window, that's all that matters.

I noticed many different MRDS being used in their photo gallery. I think the Tasco Optima 2000 is the one they use with the factory sights, the others sights appear to be too thick for factory sights. I could be wrong.

Any input on the Optima?

I shot a buddies FNP .45 tactical  with all the bells and whistles. He has a RMR on his. I shot well with it but I didn't like it. I kept wanting to co-witness the red dot with the sights like I would on my AR. What is the point of putting that on there besides the tacti-kool factor? Its goona be hell to find a holster to fit and its something else to break or for Murphy to screw up. Is this for like 3 gun kinda stuff, IPSC or banging steel?  Remember you fight how you train.  Not to rain on the parade so to speak. Please fill me in on the use of this, because I'm not  getting it lol.  Give me a 1911 in .45 ACP they have been knockin dicks in the dirt since WW 1 lol just saying ........

Naa, it's mostly for the cool factor, but it's still functional so not a complete waste of money.

Mostly I want it to make the slide easier to rack. Mine is the XDm with the vertically tapered slide and is stainless steel, slick as owl poop. I find it somewhat more difficult to rack than any other handgun I own, even compact .45ACPs.

I added a slide racker to solve this problem but I don't like it.

Plus I'm bored, not being able to get the firearms I want so I've been dressing up some that I already own. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally heard back from Customized Creationz. They said that due to the XDm's tapered slide they have to mfg a mounting plate for the RMR. $243 plus shipping.

I've decided instead to buy a new S&W M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E. which comes from the factory cut for a MRDS and is equipped with tall sights. 

Hows the trigger on these?

Far superior to the standard M&P pistol. Since it has the Performance Center sear installed from the factory the trigger pull is greatly improved. About 4.5 #s with a very quick reset. Quite acceptable for a combat pistol.

And the pistol feels smaller in my hands compared to other pistols I own of similar size.