• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My (almost finished) M1

Jgun

Washguy, that Wenig stock on the sporting clays gun is gorgeous, is that tiger maple?  I'm planning to try the Lin Speed on my stock. I don't expect it to look "military original" but with the grain figure of the blank I got, I don't think anyone was going to mistake it for a GI stock anyway. One thing I want to do before I start is to C/O some GI stocks to see if the pattern of this aftermaket is close. If not, and if there's enough material on it, I may "massage" it a little to make the surfaces line up better.  

I knew this would happen. I've got almost all the parts to complete my HRA M1 build. I've got the rear sight enroute.  The only remaining parts that I need are the small internal receiver parts for the enbloc mechanism. I ought to be able to locate them very soon. So, I get an email from CMP yesterday, saying that my Springfield service grade has shipped and should be here some time this week. I'm still very excited to see what I get with the luck of the draw from the CMP.

No, actually that means that I "may" have two of them soon. The one I'm putting together isn't a complete functional rifle yet, and I have no idea what the CMP rifle will look like when it gets here. But, in answer to your question, I definitely think you need a Garand, just not sure yet if I'll be parting with one of these. I do think that any of you guys that, (like me) have been telling yourselves for years that you want one someday, should grab one now, vs waiting.

Actually, I thought I'd try the Lin-Speed out on this one first, because it's not as nice as the other one is, It's got a CMP marked replacement stock, so not a GI stock, along with an upper and forward handguard that I think may be original GI. the grain and color don't match perfectly, and there are some dents and scratches. I'm thinking that this one will be the perfect practice stock for me. Of course, I'll have to strip this one first because it looks to have already been treated with oil.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, because guns are made to be used, and I haven't had this one to the range yet to see what she can do, but I have to hand it to the CMP, This is the servive grade, the lowest grade that they are offering right now, and to my eye this thing is gorgeous, and  we're talking about a rifle that was bult in August of 1943, so it was probably used in combat during WW2. and for it to look as good as it does is pretty impressive for a 70 yr old rifle. I can just imagine how nice the special SG's, or the correct grades must be.  I'm going on about this beautiful rifle, but more significant is what the CMP is doing to introduce people, many of them young people, to the shooting sports, especially now, when we have a liberal administration that is deamonizing anythng firearm related. It's a good thing that we have people like them presenting a positive image of shooting, just like the NRA, the CMP is an organization that deserves our support.

Hell yeah, they sent you a nice one.  That's a very nice rig for the Service Grade.  I've seen some very, very nice Rack Grade rifles, too, considering they're not supposed to be nice. 

That's a good one, Jgun.  <thumbsup>

Since this is my first time buying from the CMP, I don't have a reference. A memebr on another forum said that he's bought 6 over the lsst several years and has gotten, 3 beauties, 2 that were just OK for appearance, but were good shooters, and only one that had a shot out barrel. these were all service grades IIRC.

I believe that cmp will sell a service grade with a barrel erosion number up to 5. So I guess a lot has to do with what they have on hand as far as parts, at the time your order is filled. From what I've heard the HRA's that are being sold right now are very nice. Guy said he had the gun with the shot out barrel rebarreled and it's now his favorite, and a real shooter. Considering that there are guys that will rebarrel your M1 with a NOS GI barrel for $300, I don't think you can go wrong with a service grade. I am not part of a Garand community where I shoot, don't know if there even is one, but I wish I could get a chance to see and handle one of the top grade guns. I'd love to see what a collectors grade looks like. since this one looks so nice, I'm inclined to want to get a NOS GI stock for it, but from what I hear, they are hard to come by in good shape.