• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forged Lowers?

D.R.D.

I see this DPMS forged upper is available at a good price http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784553/dpms-upper-receiver-assembled-lr-308-a3-flat-top-matte

1.  Any experience with this upper for a .308 battle-rifle / general purpose .308 build?

2. I know it may be very hard to get one right now, but does DPMS make a forged lower?

3. Do any companies make forged .308 lowers, or only billet?  

4.  If they only make billet, why?

Thanks,

DRD

Hi DRD    Ive got one...it works and looks just fine...have it on their billet lower....go here for info

http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-Lower-Receiver-Stripped_p_1486.html        I mostly see billet,but then again they are always out of stock everywhere.. in these times you kinda jump on what you can find...or just be prepared to wait till it comes up somewhere

:))   Wash

I think the main reason you only see billet is that its not worth the money to set up forgings. The equipment cost for the forging setup is higher than you'd think, and there isn't enough volume of 308 lower sales to support it from any one manufacturer.

The forged upper is fine, and partially its more reasonable to forge because the "mold" is much simpler.  I think. I could be entirely wrong here as well :)

I think the main reason you only see billet is that its not worth the money to set up forgings. The equipment cost for the forging setup is higher than you'd think, and there isn't enough volume of 308 lower sales to support it from any one manufacturer.

The forged upper is fine, and partially its more reasonable to forge because the "mold" is much simpler.  I think. I could be entirely wrong here as well :)

You are spot on Brother! :) Wash

I see this DPMS forged upper is available at a good price http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784553/dpms-upper-receiver-assembled-lr-308-a3-flat-top-matte

It's actually an extrusion, and machined.  Not forged.

1.  Any experience with this upper for a .308 battle-rifle / general purpose .308 build?

I'm running one - lots of people are.  It's a common upper receiver.

2. I know it may be very hard to get one right now, but does DPMS make a forged lower?

Not for a .308 platform.  The only forged lowers they make are the 5.56 variants.

3. Do any companies make forged .308 lowers, or only billet?  

Not that I know of.  Not for the .308 platform.

4.  If they only make billet, why?

Most of the AR-15 raw forgings are only made by a few of the forges.  Those raw forgings are sent to the specific companies for machining and annodizing.  Some AR-15 "manufacturers" don't forge, machine, or anodize their own stuff - it's sublet to companies that specialize in this.

So, long story, but there are no forges that make the .308 lower, with companies that final-machine them - there's no set standard, no pattern to follow, etc. 

Now, there HAVE been forged 80% lowers out there before, that you have to complete yourself - not sure how many companies offer this.  They're out there, but only a few.

Thanks,

DRD

My $0.02...

Here's a different view - a manufacturing engineer's perspective.

Making a billet upper is significantly more complicated than making a billet lower. The long central bore of the upper requires specialized tooling to essentially make a long hole in a chunk of metal. To make this a simpler process, it's easier to get an extruded bar (think play doh) that has the right sized hole in the center. All that is left is to machine the outer surfaces, and the lower channel of the upper. It's still a complex process but much less so. To make it even more cost cefficient, some companies will use a forged blank that is close to the "net shape" (i.e. the final shape of the item) then finish the part with a small amount of machine work.

Using billet to make a lower is much simpler. The geometries etc of the lower is easily machined from a solid block of metal and therefore it's more cost efficient, relative to the forging process.

...anyway, here's eye candy of an almost complete early development prototpye sitting on my office desk.....

Edited by shibiwan

DRD,

Before you buy you had best read the entire description of the upper and also the Note at the bottom of the page.

Quote from Midway site:

NOTE: This is the new Low Profile LR-308 Upper Receiver that measures 1/8" thick from the top of the receiver rail to the charging handle cut-out. Railed handguards must be specifically sized for the low profile upper for the two top rail sections to match up, otherwise the handguard top rail will be proud of the upper's top rail.

Buy this upper and you just added more dollars to your build, because your handguard is now a specialty item. Just my 2¢....

Here's a different view - a manufacturing engineer's perspective.

Making a billet upper is significantly more complicated than making a billet lower. The long central bore of the upper requires specialized tooling to essentially make a long hole in a chunk of metal. To make this a simpler process, it's easier to get an extruded bar (think play doh) that has the right sized hole in the center. All that is left is to machine the outer surfaces, and the lower channel of the upper. It's still a complex process but much less so. To make it even more cost cefficient, some companies will use a forged blank that is close to the "net shape" (i.e. the final shape of the item) then finish the part with a small amount of machine work.

Using billet to make a lower is much simpler. The geometries etc of the lower is easily machined from a solid block of metal and therefore it's more cost efficient, relative to the forging process.

...anyway, here's eye candy of an almost complete early development prototpye sitting on my office desk.....

That's why DPMS makes extruded uppers. 

DRD,

Before you buy you had best read the entire description of the upper and also the Note at the bottom of the page.

Quote from Midway site:

NOTE: This is the new Low Profile LR-308 Upper Receiver that measures 1/8" thick from the top of the receiver rail to the charging handle cut-out. Railed handguards must be specifically sized for the low profile upper for the two top rail sections to match up, otherwise the handguard top rail will be proud of the upper's top rail.

Buy this upper and you just added more dollars to your build, because your handguard is now a specialty item. Just my 2¢....

Not true at all - there are many companies out there now making rails for BOTH screwed up sizes of DPMS upper receivers.  New, old, doesn't matter.  You can find a great rail out there for either.