Duck hunting

shepp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking about this last night, reminded me of a couple of retail customers.

This pair of young and dirt poor brothers used to come in, shopping for guns and ammo.  They lived way out in the desert and hunted for food out of necessity.  They first bought some sort of inexpensive .22 rifle, then moved up to a NEF single-shot centerfire rifle.  When they were ready for duck hunting they bought a single-shot NEF shotgun, because they were so impressed with the rifle.

Also used to get the people who didn't really have money for a new gun come look at "duck guns", because that's what their friend/brother/uncle told them they "need" to hunt duck.  Most times they already had a Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 that only needed another choke tube.  Same with turkey hunters.  I always used to ask "What did your grandfather use to hunt them?"

But if you got the cash, get it!!

Agreed a pump shot gun can be a tool of many trades

• 2 weeks later...

Shot out of a boat yesterday for the first time it proved to be a little small and my knees were very stiff by the end. Not very many ducks in range missed a few long shots but I blame the boat bobbing in the chop ;) The wild life and overall experience was great , we had our tower buzzed by a huge owl twice.. Then the other boat at the other end blasted a bird so out comes the dog... Out of the corner of my eye a dark streak in the air I call to my buddy watch this.. Sure enough 4 feet in front of the dog this massive bald eagle swoops in and snags the fresh kill!!! Hahaha

Edited by sketch

Took a newb out yesterday to the public land in my erea we hiked the slew that morning around 9 to warm up at 11 we had birds in range he hits I miss ( I'm a better guide than shooter) it goes over the slew to deep to persue so he says he's going to find the bird and takes the trail around to the otherside!! Before he leaves I say are you sure don't get lost!! He has boots no waders and off he goes.... 15 min later he comes back soaked to his waist dumping water out of his boots by the gallon !!! Haha!!! He says to me I rember you pointing out the hole and I rember seeing the hole on the way over but he was so mad of loosing his first duck he forgot the hole !! Life lesson for the newb!!

Hi Guys all this duck talk shotgun talk got me hot n bothered...soo we were going to go shoot steel today and I thought hmmmm the rifle range has a new sporting clays field..sooo I asked Char if she had ever shot a shotgun? Nope never even held one she sez...game on...I havnt shot sporting clays since the mid 90''s....the sporting guns havnt seen a field since then and only have seen the light of day twice a year when I clean em. reached way back and pulled out the beretta 302,found my sporting clay bag,and the chokes....threw 200 rds in the trunk along with the 308's and 6.8's and the handguns....Whew!

We get there and the range was full..no spots to shoot,but the clay field was empty..Oh boy!

I havnt shot clays since 95 and was worried I had forgot how to smack a bird.so char and me just picked out different stations...ended up me shootin 80 out of 100...daaamn couldnt believe it....these new knees worked like a champ walking the course....no problemos..sooo then it was lesson 1 for Char I found her a station where it was a trap type bird going away...her first 10 shots misses but she was paying attention to my coaching....next 4 birds in a row she smoked....this girl can shoot anything! One staion is right by the office and its a rabbit.....we are walking back and the owner comes to meet us and sez try this rabbit ...its hard and hardly anyone hits this bad boy.....I hit 3 in a row.....he sez so much for the hard rabbit ...lol

Okay guys im going back to the tournaments.....not....lol great day ...thanks for the duck huntin thread !

got me off my azz :) Wash

Oh man I haven't busted a clay in a long time now you got me wanting to do it. The only problem is deer season first then peak season at work because of Christmas so it might not be until January before I get the chance.  

I said hunting not my first time in a boat lol!!

One year we had the bright idea to take the canoe out to these drainage ditches for some farm fields near by. Bout 8 mallards come screaming down the canal and all 3 of us opened fire out the side of the canoe. It was something like when you see a battle ship light up the big guns and the whole shop moves, but we ended up tipping over...........spent three hours bailing water with a powerade bottle lol.

• 1 year later...

Picked up a momarsh marsh rat yesterday!! (Used) 420$ some scratches but it floats in the kids pool, next is to test the floating gun case ;)

Last few seasons have suuuuuucked for the corn fields with the lack of rain and snow. Now I can sneak in the back door up a slew into some un disturbed waters!! GF actually approved after a nice dinner :)post-12857-0-15278300-1437028734_thumb.j

The water level is around 2-3' deep and full of weeds and logs? But if I use it in the lake I'll definitely grab a motor!

I put this thing in the kids pool and was able to stand on one side with out taking on water :)

Gonna grab a folding boat seat and fab up a camo cover next!

If you can see in the pic there are two holes ( per side) that are solid all the way through the hull. This is for anchoring your boat with rods or sticks and you can then place up a blind. Cool feature!

• 1 month later...