Duck hunting

shepp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't need a Marlin Goose Gun, with a 36" barrel.

Most waterfowlers like a 28"-30" barrel.  It seems to help with swinging through the target.

Shoulder/cheek/length-of-pull are most important, followed by action type.  When you bring the shotgun up to your shoulder, you should be able to have your cheek directly against the comb of the stock with no scrunching down or hunching your shoulder, with your eye aligned with the bead on the end of the barrel. The entire bead should be visible without seeing the top of the barrel or rib.  You want the trigger far enough out to pull it without your arm being nearly folded.

Action is entirely up to you.  Over/unders and side-by-sides have been popular for a couple of hundred years for a reason.  Pumps are reliable but lots of people get "duck fever" and have pumping problems.  Some semi-autos have "extreme environment" issues.

Here's a low-end semi-auto, the Tri Star Viper...pretty darned impressive test!

http://www.gunblast.com/TriStar.htm

And the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVInopUELnU

I have a Tri Star Viper that I bought because it was NIB for $250...about $150 off retail around here.  When you pull the trigger it goes BLAM every time.  Uses Beretta/Benelli chokes, which are all over now.  Five round magazine, plugged to three for migratory game bird compliance.

Edited by planeflyer21

My first was a mossberg pump full choke. 20 in bought for 250$

My next was a beneli semi auto 28 in comes with multiple chokes 1600$

Only issue was freezing action in sub degree weather due to using the wrong oil ;)

Start small and see if you like freezing your ass off before you dump money into a 12 ga. Don't forget the gun is a small part when it comes to gear!!

I've got a Winchester 1300 with a "bird" barrel not sure on length think 26", been to hell and back thru the marsh. This summer I picked up a Remington 1187 semi auto with a custom 24" ported barrel.

Go by jons advice:) and go find somewhere to shoot trap

I've never had a problem "pumping" while blasting at ducks , I will agree auto loaders can be finicky . Remember you get what you pay for

Edited by shepp

I was thinking about this last night, reminded me of a couple of retail customers.

This pair of young and dirt poor brothers used to come in, shopping for guns and ammo.  They lived way out in the desert and hunted for food out of necessity.  They first bought some sort of inexpensive .22 rifle, then moved up to a NEF single-shot centerfire rifle.  When they were ready for duck hunting they bought a single-shot NEF shotgun, because they were so impressed with the rifle.

Also used to get the people who didn't really have money for a new gun come look at "duck guns", because that's what their friend/brother/uncle told them they "need" to hunt duck.  Most times they already had a Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 that only needed another choke tube.  Same with turkey hunters.  I always used to ask "What did your grandfather use to hunt them?"

But if you got the cash, get it!!

"Shoulder/cheek/length-of-pull are most important, followed by action type. When you bring the shotgun up to your shoulder, you should be able to have your cheek directly against the comb of the stock with no scrunching down or hunching your shoulder, with your eye aligned with the bead on the end of the barrel. The entire bead should be visible without seeing the top of the barrel or rib. You want the trigger far enough out to pull it without your arm being nearly folded."

Planeflyer is right on the money! couldnt be said any better! remember.....you dont aim a shotgun you point it...so fitting it to you is so very important. If you shoot rifles a lot its hard to get out of the habit of aiming....you must look past the bead to the flying target...thats why fit is so important....its gotta shoot where you are looking when you throw it up yo your cheek......a skeet field is your friend before you go shoot a flying bird....but ive seen true beginners do great because they arnt busy thinking too much about the bird.....instinct shooting at its finest! also follow thru....just like a golf swing no follow thru no hit :) Wash

I still have trouble with my lead sometimes but I think it was Tom knapp that said to cover the birds head with the bead I'm guessing his shots were near or under 30 yds after that practice practice !!post-12857-0-80087700-1382144925_thumb.jpost-12857-0-04025000-1382144973_thumb.jpost-12857-0-48154400-1382145090_thumb.j

My little bird dog!!

This was a few stills from a go pro head cam last season you can see the shot so I'm thinking he was hit with a few spread out bbs fun times :)

Guys another tip....my coach for sporting clays would say after I would miss a long crossing clay simulating a duck or whatever would bop me on the head a say "dont cold trail the damn bird..shoot it"

translation..... we shoot clays from a low gun position...so your muzzle is following the same speed and arc/direction as the bird as you are bringing the gun up to your cheek/shoulder....when the gun touches your cheek fire the gun...dont be following the bird for any length of time after that...guaranteed miss

but clays going 35/45 mph are a lot smaller than a duck coming in to decoys...so they should be easier to hit. Another thing folks tend to underchoke rather than overchoke thinking their pattern will be bigger out where the target is.... not necessarily true...a lil more choke is better imho . Alway always eyes to the target not the end of the shotgun. follow thru ...just as in golf.dont stop the swing ....there are several ways to establish your leads....there is the pass thru..starting from behind and getting lead(pass thru)...the maintained lead...and the pull away lead

but for the beginner...instinct will do the trick......swing with the target as you put the gun to your cheek ...see the bird and hit the bird....easy peasy...but no cold trailing...lol :) Wash

Hi Guys all this duck talk shotgun talk got me hot n bothered...soo we were going to go shoot steel today and I thought hmmmm the rifle range has a new sporting clays field..sooo I asked Char if she had ever shot a shotgun? Nope never even held one she sez...game on...I havnt shot sporting clays since the mid 90''s....the sporting guns havnt seen a field since then and only have seen the light of day twice a year when I clean em. reached way back and pulled out the beretta 302,found my sporting clay bag,and the chokes....threw 200 rds in the trunk along with the 308's and 6.8's and the handguns....Whew!

We get there and the range was full..no spots to shoot,but the clay field was empty..Oh boy!

I havnt shot clays since 95 and was worried I had forgot how to smack a bird.so char and me just picked out different stations...ended up me shootin 80 out of 100...daaamn couldnt believe it....these new knees worked like a champ walking the course....no problemos..sooo then it was lesson 1 for Char I found her a station where it was a trap type bird going away...her first 10 shots misses but she was paying attention to my coaching....next 4 birds in a row she smoked....this girl can shoot anything! One staion is right by the office and its a rabbit.....we are walking back and the owner comes to meet us and sez try this rabbit ...its hard and hardly anyone hits this bad boy.....I hit 3 in a row.....he sez so much for the hard rabbit ...lol

Okay guys im going back to the tournaments.....not....lol great day ...thanks for the duck huntin thread !

got me off my azz :) Wash