• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range day today

seasprite

Went to the range today to get sighted in for deer season and shot this at a 100 yrds today. post-12828-0-43400000-1381627427_thumb.j If I see a deer this year its mine  <thumbsup> I'm glad I got to the range when I did all 20 lanes filled up as soon as they opened. Weather was perfect and you should of seen the looks when I brought my target back from down range <dontknow>  they act like they have just seen Carlos Hathcock or the likes. I think most people at the range don't expect to much when they shoot most are at 50 yards with there high power rifles and AR's the .22's are at 25 to 50 which is expected.

How is it when you guy's go to the range on crowded days?

Do you see other people shoot as good or better than you?

I do now and then but not as often I think I would and I don't consider myself that great of a shot.

Wow that's great, I went to a private range today with about a dozen others for the same purpose, we do it every year and friends and family come out and shoot .22's and pistols and have a big outdoor meal and lots of beer afterwards. I wish I had taken pics I had a 4 shot about like that with my M1A and iron sights, I sighted it with the new .047 hooded aperture, I didn't measure but it was probably about a 2" group, a couple of them said "wow" several more were impressed after they tried it. There were several with tighter groups but all had scoped rifles.

Wow that's great, I went to a private range today with about a dozen others for the same purpose, we do it every year and friends and family come out and shoot .22's and pistols and have a big outdoor meal and lots of beer afterwards. I wish I had taken pics I had a 4 shot about like that with my M1A and iron sights, I sighted it with the new .047 hooded aperture, I didn't measure but it was probably about a 2" group, a couple of them said "wow" several more were impressed after they tried it. There were several with tighter groups but all had scoped rifles.

Cool sounds like a good time especially food and beer after words. Sounds like that M1a is straight shooter always wanted one but went with the AR platform instead, oh well maybe one of these days. So is it a Springfield? I need to take my camera out to the range one day and post some pics.     

Sea Good grouping...you own that deer!

Our range is an hours drive and only open a few days a week. Its full of military exes and some operators that are not on the job....so they use this place cause of the 500 yd range to stay in practice

Lloyd Hill one of the shooters in the best of the west show practice here...you wont find a nicer man than him! I witnessed him shoot a playing card three times at 500 yds! At our range you must qualify for every hundred yds....you gotta hit 2 outta three moa steel plates at every distance to get a card for that weapon for that distance

The only Yahoos there are me and Char...well just me...so ive been told

:) Wash

Lemme tell you a story about the owner. Back when I couldnt walk far caause of my knees we parked in real close to the range next to the rangmasters car.

Me and him clash personality wise.....he dishes it out but cant take the comebacks from me. so he sez move the car...laff and say hey you gotta have handicap parking...well he went ballistic...that was this spring...so with moving and the temps at 100 plus we havnt gone all summer.

So 2 weeks ago we were at the gunshow and the owner of the range comes running up and starts hugging us in the aisle...he's tearing up and telling us he got rid of that guy and please please comeback and ill have parking anywhere I want! i dunno how he found out about the tiff,cause I took it in stride and laffed it off....well me and char and him were having a group hug in the crowded aisle...people thought it was odd,but I wanna say this man is the salt of the earth

Edited by washguy

It seems without fail, that when I go to the range for accuracy testing that gusty winds come up from nowhere. Regardless of the forecast.

And when I go for fun...no breeze at all.

One of my favorite days shooting, the girl and I were at the county range and she was shooting her SP101 .22LR.  At the time she was too small to cock the hammer or shoot it DA, so I was there cocking the hammer for each shot.  With the target at 10 yards, she was starting to gather a crowd of men behind her watching her shoot very good groups.

Then a horsefly landed on the target.  I said "Shoot the fly!" 

She said "I'm trying but it keeps moving!" and her audience all left!

Edited by planeflyer21

and I do not know of a range within 100 miles of here we just go out and shoot in a gravel pit or onforest service ground or if it is pistols i shoot in my yard.... it must be fun to go to a range with a bunch of folks.....

Magwa, you don't know how many times I wish I could go and shoot in a pit or some land to stretch out some. As far as people goes you can meet some pretty nice people and strike up some friendships. Then there is the other side of it some people should have more training before setting foot on a live fire range if you could see where some of the bullet holes are you would understand.

Sea Good grouping...you own that deer!

Our range is an hours drive and only open a few days a week. Its full of military exes and some operators that are not on the job....so they use this place cause of the 500 yd range to stay in practice

Lloyd Hill one of the shooters in the best of the west show practice here...you wont find a nicer man than him! I witnessed him shoot a playing card three times at 500 yds! At our range you must qualify for every hundred yds....you gotta hit 2 outta three moa steel plates at every distance to get a card for that weapon for that distance

The only Yahoos there are me and Char...well just me...so ive been told

:) Wash

Lemme tell you a story about the owner. Back when I couldnt walk far caause of my knees we parked in real close to the range next to the rangmasters car.

Me and him clash personality wise.....he dishes it out but cant take the comebacks from me. so he sez move the car...laff and say hey you gotta have handicap parking...well he went ballistic...that was this spring...so with moving and the temps at 100 plus we havnt gone all summer.

So 2 weeks ago we were at the gunshow and the owner of the range comes running up and starts hugging us in the aisle...he's tearing up and telling us he got rid of that guy and please please comeback and ill have parking anywhere I want! i dunno how he found out about the tiff,cause I took it in stride and laffed it off....well me and char and him were having a group hug in the crowded aisle...people thought it was odd,but I wanna say this man is the salt of the earth

Well I'm lucky in part because our range is only 20min. from me and its only $3.00 per hour but only goes from 25-100 yards. Would love to get out beyond 200 yards thats as far as I can go when my brother takes me out to his range which is an hour drive for me. I think I'm getting range envy now glad you were able to work it out with the owner.

It seems without fail, that when I go to the range for accuracy testing that gusty winds come up from nowhere. Regardless of the forecast.

And when I go for fun...no breeze at all.

One of my favorite days shooting, the girl and I were at the county range and she was shooting her SP101 .22LR.  At the time she was too small to cock the hammer or shoot it DA, so I was there cocking the hammer for each shot.  With the target at 10 yards, she was starting to gather a crowd of men behind her watching her shoot very good groups.

Then a horsefly landed on the target.  I said "Shoot the fly!" 

She said "I'm trying but it keeps moving!" and her audience all left!

Thats cool plane, do you still take her out? My son use to go but now he's discovered girls (17) so he doesn't go that much with me any more. Even though this is an out door range the way they designed it the wind has little to no effect on your shots I'll gets some pics next time I go. Its basically right across the street from the Lake City Ammo plant would love to be able to stop over there and look around but homeland security would have a cow.