• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ruger SR-762

BLKSHEEP

Solid rifle - got Ron (TAZ, my local brother, not R2 the East Coast Hippy) out with it once here, and we've both been busy since.  It's a damn good shooting machine.  I need to go back and review pics and get info up on that thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

How about adding the Ruger SR-762?

Afternoon.  I've had a SR-762 for nearly a year now and it is a great gun though I do wish they would offer a longer barrel for it. It is quite surprising what you can do with a 16" barrel and Hornady 168 grain BTHP Match bullets way out to 600 yards (that's as long as they have at the rifle range I shoot at.  Ruger made a excellent weapon eventhough there are many people with Black Rifle Fobia !! And it was mentioned that it was light ? With a Harris bi-pod, Nikon M-308 scope, Viking sling, and a full 20 round mag, my rifle weighs in at 11 3/4 pounds, not exactly a light rifle !!

Edited by MsgtBill

I spent a month trying to get a Ruger SR 762. CTD had them for around $1600 There is lots of info over on the Ruger forums. Biggest difference is an adjustable gas piston system. I didn't find one locally to eyeball and touch plus got a good deal on a new DPMS 308 that I liked instead for half the price from a local gun store.

Well strait up goog to go rifle!! We were on paper with factory flip up sights in the first 5 rounds at 60 yds! I did notice the 8+# slap in the shoulder compared to my 13# sluggo. The trigger was very smooth but will be polished. Funny story the owner wanted to do a side by side trigger comparison with my RRA .... Forgot to tell him I installed the ssae trigger before the test ;) he was really surprised and scratching his head. I had to fess up ! First thing to go is the birdcage that is a worthless peice IMHO it was way louder especially in a covered area.

He's scoped up and ready to nock paper at a 100 next shoot!

• 2 months later...

I have the matrix aerospace, and the ruger hand guard on my build. Chris Riedeman is solid to deal with.

I finally saw the ruger sr762 in a local shop yesterday, and I have to say the fit and finish of the matrix version is light years ahead of the ruger version. There were some glaring anodizing imperfections in the ruger, and my matrix set has a built in tensioning device at the rear pin lug to keep it tighter. (Although it doesn't need it)

I built an 18" DI, for half the price of the ruger.

If I didn't have the limited skills to build one, I would buy a ruger vs the dpms offerings. I still haven't seen an armalite in person to comment on it.

I have the matrix aerospace, and the ruger hand guard on my build. Chris Riedeman is solid to deal with.

I finally saw the ruger sr762 in a local shop yesterday, and I have to say the fit and finish of the matrix version is light years ahead of the ruger version. There were some glaring anodizing imperfections in the ruger, and my matrix set has a built in tensioning device at the rear pin lug to keep it tighter. (Although it doesn't need it)

I built an 18" DI, for half the price of the ruger.

If I didn't have the limited skills to build one, I would buy a ruger vs the dpms offerings. I still haven't seen an armalite in person to comment on it.

I'm actually building off a stripped upper/lower set that I got from Chris that was "blemished".  Got a great deal, and it STILL looks better than most factory guns.  I can't see any blemishes anywhere on either the upper or lower.  I'm thinking 20" match bull barrel, free float quad rail, adjustable gas block, and rifle length stock and buffer.  How did your build go?  This is my first .308 AR build, so I'll take all the advice I can get, especially seeing how I can't find anyone else that's built off a Matrix Aero receiver.

The build was pretty smooth, I ended up needing to change my bolt catch to the armalite 10b version and modifying it.

My blem set had a tiny ding on the rail that was covered by a sharpie and the rear buis.

There are a couple versions, mine used the armalite barrel nut in addition to the bolt catch.