• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First and possibly only AR.308 Build

Jonas

So, I really need to do a lot more reading on this forum and info gathering in general, but I'm somewhat up against time in that as of Jan.1st as many of you already know, we will have to start registering new long guns in California. I really don't think the state has any business in that, so I'd like to acquire at least a lower receiver before then.

From what I gather, there are two major routes - the DPMS and the Armalite styles. Gent at a gun shop showed me the cut difference in the receivers, and indicated that the DPMS style would have more after-market offerings and is compatible with PMAGS and Armalites are not. (?)

So, I might be leaning towards the DPMS style as I do have a lot of PMAGS on hand that I'd like to use, and if the availability of parts thing is really true - provided it can turned into a quality build, am I thinking straight?

The end goal is just to build a really nice target rifle that'll be good and consistent to several hundred yards (I'm worthless much beyond that....) so obviously one would need a good base to start with. 

I was thinking about starting with a Black Rain Ordinance lower/upper set. What little I've come across seems pretty positive. Would this be a good choice, selling myself short, better options out there? - Given that this might be my ONLY .308AR build - 

There's my problem - finding something that is available to beat that silly deadline, but that is still going to provide for a solid build.

Thanks all for any help and advice!

Edited by Jonas

What part of cali are you in. My lgs here has lots of lowers (not those) but lots. Im sure someone here can help find you a BRO deal. Prolly Robo bc he knows whenever something 308 is below normal cost or in stock. Its like a spidey sense. I personally prefer the DPMS platform for reasons you specified but Armalite make good products. A suggestion (from another cali guy) if ur dead set on that one. Get it. And try for some cheaper ones too, to throw in the safe for later. Build up as money allows. Im in that process as well. I put a down on one at lgs and have the cash by the 10 day. Dros another and put a down when picking up.

I'd also look for a Mega MATEN since they're compatible with LaRue OBR-family uppers (and thus KAC SR-25, and LMT MWS too!). I believe the new AR-10A is also compatible, but no confirmation yet. Of course the MATEN is a fantastic platform to build off of too if you want to do that later. I'm also in CA and that's one thing I want to pick up before the year's over too.

If you need some .308 AR DPMS pattern lowers to stash away, Brownell's has the Tactical Machining ones for pretty cheap, and available.

Edited by FaRKle!

I'm a Mega guy and have a very positive opinion of my MATEN build that I began at the start of the year. I probably have about 500 rounds down range out of it. They are TOP quality products and the billet design only further separates it from more basic designs still utilized today....not that basic is bad. You may believe you only want one build but I'd get two stripped lowers considering your state's legislation is being expanded to limit or further constrict your rights.

Jonas,

You have to register all semi-auto guns in California now, and have had to for some time.  I think you are confusing the new legislation that will take effect Jan 1 that will add ALL long guns to that list, including bolt actions, shotguns, etc.  The bills that proposed further restrictions to semi autos were vetoed by Gov. Brown last month.  Of course, that doesn't mean that they won't try to pass those bills again, but you may not be quite as 'up against the clock' as you think.   Better to stock up on bolt actions and shotguns now, and get a few lowers for future builds.

DRD

Jonas,

You have to register all semi-auto guns in California now, and have had to for some time.  I think you are confusing the new legislation that will take effect Jan 1 that will add ALL long guns to that list, including bolt actions, shotguns, etc.  The bills that proposed further restrictions to semi autos were vetoed by Gov. Brown last month.  Of course, that doesn't mean that they won't try to pass those bills again, but you may not be quite as 'up against the clock' as you think.   Better to stock up on bolt actions and shotguns now, and get a few lowers for future builds.

DRD

This is incorrect. The only firearms you have to had registered in CA are pistols, and "assault weapons" owned prior to the ban. There is no "all semi-autos must be registered" law in effect currently. Case in point, if you move from out of state into CA you must register your pistols, but don't have to register your semi-auto rifles. Also if that was the law cash and carry C&R wouldn't exist as it does right now (and that's also going away next year).

Jonas is correct that starting next year all new transfers of long guns will require registration.

Edited by FaRKle!

DANG! Thanks gents for all of the fast replies! 

I couldn't help myself. I just ordered up the BRO lower/upper from Brownell's since they said it was in stock. (Grabbed a Spikes lower too while I was there for an 5.56 build.) Hopefully they REALLY are in stock! I maybe should have shopped around, but a bird in the hand....

I will also look into the MEGA Maten as well. You guys are right - I should squirrel away at least one more. Bad timing, right at Christmas. Oh well. 

Jonas, get on email notification lists. JoebobOutfitters, Rainier Arms, and DSG ARMS are three of the best and have good prices. Fulton Armory is also a really good website.

I'm unable to add any CA insight, sorry...we have our hands full here with large masses of liberal tumors.

Edited by jrtmasp

FaRKle!, are you certain?  When ever I've purchased a over the past few years lower, it had to be registered.  Or, am I confusing the documentation the FFL takes as something else?

Positive, as Bubba pointed out, the forms you fill out for the DROS (dealer record of sale - aka CA background check) are not registration. The DROS is done one per transaction. A transaction can consist of multiple firearms. What it comes down to is the state knows you bought a firearm, but doesn't know the make, model, or serial number. This changes with registration where the make, model, and serial number are stored under your name in a database.

Jonas, get on email notification lists. JoebobOutfitters, Rainier Arms, and DSG ARMS are three of the best and have good prices. Fulton Armory is also a really good website.

I'm unable to add any CA insight, sorry...we have our hands full here with large masses of liberal tumors.

I think Cali, Mass, and NY could all have a liberal brain tumor competition - any bets on who would win?

Also many will give discounts if you're a LEO or a member of the military.

I'm not, unfortunately. I'll check into those places you recommended, I need to do that soon. So far, almost nothing comes up as in stock anywhere. CMMGs seem pretty available on GunBroker, but only as complete lowers. I really want just a lower - at this point, can't afford much more than a stripped lower! This past week has been financial bad for me, in a good way, if you know what I mean...... :D

^ I think its hard to tell who the winner will be...NY, CA, and MA not far behind but we've been able to beat back some recent bad legislation. I thought CA was always at the top but NY and a few others have really outdone themselves.

Fulton Armory only lists instock items as far as I know. In order...Joeboboutiftters gets things in quick judging from emails I've received so it doesnt hurt to sign up for what you need. It doesnt cost anything for email notification after all. I would then say DSG and Rainier in that sequence. Although, you might wait months for somethings, if not longer, and others will have you surprised at the speed they come in. I stopped signing up for many DSG things because my wife could possibly shoot laser beams out of her eyes at me if I bought everything I wanted from them. Thats the problem with a build obsession....you keep seeing things you want.

Edited by jrtmasp

So, I might be leaning towards the DPMS style as I do have a lot of PMAGS on hand that I'd like to use, and if the availability of parts thing is really true - provided it can turned into a quality build, am I thinking straight?

not that I would ever try to talk someone out of a DPMS build into an Armalite ;) , but if you have existing PMAGs and no prior 308s i'm guessing you're talking about 223 pmags, which don't fit in either platform. the DPMS platform takes the 308 pmags, a completely different model. so just worth mentioning.

^ I think its hard to tell who the winner will be...NY, CA, and MA not far behind but we've been able to beat back some recent bad legislation. I thought CA was always at the top but NY and a few others have really outdone themselves.

Fulton Armory only lists instock items as far as I know. In order...Joeboboutiftters gets things in quick judging from emails I've received so it doesnt hurt to sign up for what you need. It doesnt cost anything for email notification after all. I would then say DSG and Rainier in that sequence. Although, you might wait months for somethings, if not longer, and others will have you surprised at the speed they come in. I stopped signing up for many DSG things because my wife could possibly shoot laser beams out of her eyes at me if I bought everything I wanted from them. Thats the problem with a build obsession....you keep seeing things you want.

On several lists now!  And yeah, you're right - NY is doing some CRAZY stuff. I'm glad to see several groups including law enforcement from what I hear standing up to the state dictator there.

not that I would ever try to talk someone out of a DPMS build into an Armalite ;) , but if you have existing PMAGs and no prior 308s i'm guessing you're talking about 223 pmags, which don't fit in either platform. the DPMS platform takes the 308 pmags, a completely different model. so just worth mentioning.

My thread is somewhat misleading - I do have a S&W M&P10 that fits Pmags. But I don't plan on buying or building anything else after Jan. 1st, so I gotta get what I can get now. At least I've got the one on the way. I really need to stop spending money - but these things are like potato chips - can have just one.....as long as I can find somebody with one in stock!!

Still having a hard time finding anything in stock. Brownell's does have the TM-10 - but how good are these? They're cheap compared to most of the others, so that mkaes me a bit apprehensive. There are only 3 reviews on the site, all 3 good - though one buyer had commented about some screw being different than the standard - cosmetic - but only merited 4 stars out of 5 as a result. Are .308 receivers generally so much more expensive than AR-15 type because they're all billet? 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to the FFL that has my receiver to start up the paper work, so got a look at the BRO upper/lower - not bad, not bad. I'll get some pics. posted once I actually take possession after the ridiculous 10-day waiting period! I'm thinking/hoping this was a good investment and platform from which to build. Of course it'll probably take me a year or two to actually BUILD it!

I picked up one of those BRO upper/lower sets a couple months back. I like the fit and finish. I haven't got around to even thinking about how I'm gonna build this one. I've been concentrating on "other" rifles recently. But Black Rain does make some nice lookin stuff. At least between the 1 308 set, and the 2 556 sets that I picked up.