• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First and possibly only AR.308 Build

Jonas

I can't find anything else in stock, like MEGA, POF, anything really. So I'm actually thinking about getting a second BRO, maybe the Norguard finish. It's either that and beat the stupid California registration start on Jan.1st, or just wait and get something when its in stock different and register it. I'd rather not do that if I didn't have to!

Has anyone ever built a rifle that cost less than the price of buying a new rifle complete?

I can usually beat a store price by about 15-20%. I usually tell my friends to pick out a rifle they like online, and then let me build it for them from parts. The brands may differ, but the looks are generally the same... plus you get to add those custom features you like, that don't normally come on a off the shelf rifle (ie: pistol grips and stock)

crap, I typed out a long response on my phone, but apparently it didn't post.

You can, particularly if you are patient, and don't mind blemishes. I mean a blem lower, upper + bcg can end up as little as $175 all together, and most blems I've seen I can't spot the blemish. get one of the crappy plain M4 stocks with buffer tube/buffer/spring for as low as $30 on some sales, a LPK for $50 puts you at 255. all that's left is barrel for 110, barrel nut, delta rings and plain handguard for around $50 altogether and you have a basic AR15 for just a little over $400.

But its a plain jane, nothing exciting rifle. What makes these fun is they are the lego sets of rifles :D

crap, I typed out a long response on my phone, but apparently it didn't post.

You can, particularly if you are patient, and don't mind blemishes. I mean a blem lower, upper + bcg can end up as little as $175 all together, and most blems I've seen I can't spot the blemish. get one of the crappy plain M4 stocks with buffer tube/buffer/spring for as low as $30 on some sales, a LPK for $50 puts you at 255. all that's left is barrel for 110, barrel nut, delta rings and plain handguard for around $50 altogether and you have a basic AR15 for just a little over $400.

But its a plain jane, nothing exciting rifle. What makes these fun is they are the lego sets of rifles :D

Yeah, I actually got one of the Noveske Gen2 "Chainsaw" stripped AR15 lowers and didn't see anything wrong with it. When I FINALLY found what I think made it a Chainsaw, my first thought was "Are you kidding me?" It's something I'd actually EXPECT to find on the big brands like Colt and S&W as "normal"! 

On another note, I guess I need to change the title of this thread to "My 2 AR308 Builds" - Couldn't help myself, had to buy another BRO upper/lower. I did go with the Norguard finish to change it up a bit. Oh well. Probably shouldn't have done it - but I oddly feel no sort of guilt for spending more than I should be at this time of year.  ^-^  I'm blaming the whole Christmas buying frenzy thing - I'm a poor victim caught up in the excitement.  :yup:

So I think I might build one to be a bit more plain-Jane - nice, but not overly extravagant. The second one I'll go all-out, whatever that means. ???

This is incorrect. The only firearms you have to had registered in CA are pistols, and "assault weapons" owned prior to the ban. There is no "all semi-autos must be registered" law in effect currently. Case in point, if you move from out of state into CA you must register your pistols, but don't have to register your semi-auto rifles. Also if that was the law cash and carry C&R wouldn't exist as it does right now (and that's also going away next year).Jonas is correct that starting next year all new transfers of long guns will require registration.

Greetings to 308 community.

Incorrect, effective 1/1/14 all long guns acquired after1/1/14 must be registered with their serial numbers.

Read 2nd paragraph.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0801-0850/ab_809_bill_20111009_chaptered.html

• 3 weeks later...