• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ship a 14.5" barrel to a state that does not allow SBR?

Toolndie7

Hi guy,

Just thinking ahead on my build. I live in a state that does not allow me to posses a SBR. As far as I can tell I would be able to order a 14.5" barrel and have it shipped to me so I can pin and weld a brake on myself to achieve the legal 16" length. Being as it is not a complete firearm a sbr does not apply.

Is this correct?

Thanks

First off, a 14.5" isn't illegal. A 14.5" barrel ON A RIFLE is illegal. Off the rifle it's just a chunk of metal.

There are some that will caution you against having the parts readily avaliable to assemble an SBR. I usually tell those people to bug off. The law about "readily available" has to include "intent". Without intent, they're just parts.

Here's what you do.. Order the parts. Keep them in their boxes till you set up a build day. Arrange a full day to complete your build, top to bottom. If you get your barrel extended properly, no one will bother you.

You can also just order your barrel complete. Companies like BCM or ADCO will make your barrel assembly for you.

First off, a 14.5" isn't illegal. A 14.5" barrel ON A RIFLE is illegal. Off the rifle it's just a chunk of metal.

There are some that will caution you against having the parts readily avaliable to assemble an SBR. I usually tell those people to bug off. The law about "readily available" has to include "intent". Without intent, they're just parts.

Here's what you do.. Order the parts. Keep them in their boxes till you set up a build day. Arrange a full day to complete your build, top to bottom. If you get your barrel extended properly, no one will bother you.

You can also just order your barrel complete. Companies like BCM or ADCO will make your barrel assembly for you.

With most this is not a problem , but you have to remember if the BATFE wants to stick it to you about the parts being readily available to make a SBR , you can be assured they will try. There are far too many documented cases where they have & with less to work with.

I see nothing wrong with it ,but what would be the problem with the barrel fitted with the legal length attachment before it gets to your state or address. Sure you could do it as you describe a thousand times with out a problem , but why take the chance & be the first to have an issue with your local/ state LE or BATFE.

Its your call & I will bug off now . C:-)  

Make sure Rhode Island is okay with an AR Pistol, very first. 

Once you have that 14.5 barrel in-hand, the only legal thing you can do with it in an unpinned condition is make a pistol out of it.  If AR pistols aren't legal in RI, then you shouldn't have an unpinned barrel less than 16".

The other possibility is to not get an upper for it, or possibly even not get the barrel nut for it, until after the muzzle device is pinned. I can't see showing intent to build an SBR if you don't have the parts to complete an SBR upper.

That is of course there are no other AR's that can accept that barrel , laying around he house.

Hell, they got that one guy because he had M16 parts at his parents house , totally different address & I think some were conveniently found on the floor , go figure.

We talk about this like its nothing ,but as Robo stated , they can screw your life up over a part, that isn't even installed . This is real serious to me because I know first hand what could happen to you . 

I agree. I waited until the last minute to order my Noveske Leonidas barrel (and almost missed out on it) for my 10 SBR. And I sweated the couple months that I had it in my possession until I got the tax stamp back for it. My only defense would have been that I could prove that the paperwork was "in progress". Not that I think that the black helicopters were waiting to swoop down and land in my front yard. But...technically...if it's in your possession, and can be dropped on to another lower. They can pop you for it. And I kept it completely separated, in a different gun box than my other AR-10's. Not that that would have mad a difference in the long run.

In the grand scheme of life, I like to follow the rule of don't Fcuk with the man. Moreover....don't give the man a reason to Fcuk with you.

Lots of opinions of this out there. Be careful of any local laws (as 98 said), and cross your T's and dot you I's (I hate that expression, but it works).

If you posses parts of a NFA item such as the short barrel without a tax stamp the BATFE consideres that intent. Sepending on the agent they may allow you to explain or not and were sending you soap on a rope. The smart way would be to have the brake or muzzle adapter attached by seller if possible before its shipped out. Or have it shipped to your local gun store and attach it there. Call  me paraniod or overly cautious, but I woud not want to have any misunderstood events leading to problems