• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

IFAK

unforgiven

does anyone else have a Med setup?

Multiple.  In varying sizes.  I should get off my ass and list this stuff with pics.

Individual, and group, med kits - this is the first line of defense when schit goes sideways.  And you can never predict when schit is gonna go sideways on you. 

Dirk and I have talked about this more seriously, as of Thanksgiving 2012.  Time was destiny, as far as that goes - we've been doing the T-Day dune trip together for 10 years straight (as of this year), and there's always an accident - but never too serious.  Schit, I broke my damn hand a couple years ago, still have a lump.  That was probably the most serious thing that happened in all those years.  Most years, someone "gets off" a quad, we laugh, video it, and just drive on.

Last year, 2012, not the latest trip this previous November.  Broken leg, near sundown, in one of the sand washes.  First we heard was people coming back to camp - all separated after a run - and a phonecall from my son, who was riding with him.  We scrambled back down the sandwash to find them, and sure enough it was a broken Tib/Fib inside the riding boot.  We had enough to get the rider stabilized, immobilize the leg (joint above and below the fractures), and get him back to camp.  Once back in camp, it was "into the truck," and a ride to the hospital in Yuma.  I can't honestly tell you that I've ever seen my kid so calm before, and so receptive to direction - did what he was told, exactly how he was told, and promptly.  He made a difference, and without him, it was only me and Dirk.  And the broken rider. 

That incident had Dirk and I talking about alot of things, both at the end of that trip, and through the year following.  Overall, we're DAMN lucky we havent had to deal with broken necks, broken spines, all sorts of bones sticking through skin, etc., over the years - especially if you guys knew some of the crew that shows up as "Usual Suspects."  DAMN lucky. 

We had more plans for more med gear for this last trip, and we just didn't get it done.  We will positively have more gear for next year, without a doubt.  Short spine board, maybe a long spine board, head immobilization devices for both, I'll build an old Ski Patrol device we used to use for immobilizing arm/leg fractures, along with a built-in traction device - in case of femur fractures.  I won't go another dune season without this stuff out there with us. 

Sometimes out there, someone in a UTV (side-by-side) or on a quad can get to an injury a HELL of alot faster than a helicopter can.  Communications are KEY, to relay the extent of the injury, load appropriate equipment, and get to the injury as fast as possible.

Funny thing about the broken leg - we got there, and the casualty was already in shock.  Not unexpected, especially after talking with him on the phone (communications).  We kinda knew it before leaving camp.  We got there, and tried to extricate him without immobilizing the leg - speed is sometimes more important.  Wasn't happening.  The pain was to great, and he was a tough MF'er for trying to gut it out. To tough - he almost passed out. 

We got him back on the ground, immobilized that broken schit, and he was worried - "Should we just go ahead and call an ambulance?!"  Hell no, brother, there's no way in hell they can get in here, into this wash, without getting stuck before they get to us - and it'll take too long...

"Tommy, it's getting dark, we have to do something - but, no matter what, don't put me on a helicopter..."  Fuk a helicopter, brother - THAT will take too long.  Even if we called for one NOW, it's too long.  AND, it'll blow sand EVERYWHERE trying to come in.  NO helicopter, NO way.  We WILL get you out of here before the sun goes down.  Don't worry about that. 

And we did.  And we did it well. 

After that trip, we realize we need more med gear.  You always need more med gear.  You never know what will happen, you never now when it will happen.  No matter what, you can never have enough med gear for every situation, and you can never have enough med training for every situation.

You just have to have a continuing responsibility for more med gear and more med training. 

I carry a blowout kit; it contains needle decompressions, HALO seals, tourniquets, iodine and alchol swabs, quick clot gauze, standard gauze, compression bandages and I can't remember what else. 

When I return from this "trip" I'm getting ready to head out on I'll be putting together my SHTF kit and family medical kit (which include the likes of aspirin, motrin, regular bandages, bacitracin, etc on top of everything in my blow out kit)

If you don't have HALO seals or something and you think a sucking chest wound is ever a possibility ensure you have some heavy duty plastic and medical tape to close it up with. 

Of course this is what we carry in to combat.  I don't carry anythng (like a dumbass) on hunting and fishing trips.  We've actually moved away the IFAK being mounted on our flak to wearing a fanny pack type.  Which in our situations make sense and we can manipulate them with one hand to conduct self aid if shot, etc.  I do ensure that my wife has a first aid kit in her car at all times.