• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I could use some help on picking ring height

So I've got this Bushnell Elite 3200 scope I'd like to being back into use on this 308 I'm putting together.  3-9x40, 1" tube.  I've never put glass on top of an AR style rifle.  What height rings should I be looking at?  I'll have Troy flip up sights, rail height on the front.    Any ideas?

If you don't have any sights blocking it, mount it as low to the upper as possible to get the best accuracy, and a solid cheek weld. I have the MBUS pro on mine and the flip ups don't affect the view. Don't worry about co-witnessing since you're NOT using a scope with unity magnification (i.e. 1x power), since the front sight will be blurred out at 3x or more and obscure your vision when flipped up. When flipped down, you shouldn't even notice anything blocking the view in the scope.

Tech details show the objective bell is 48.5mm (1.91") on your scope and the tube is 25.4mm (1"). This works out to be 11.6mm (0.457") radial difference (this is 48.5/2 - 25.4/2).

Assuming you have a continuous rail you should look for rings with an absolute height (top of rail to very bottom of ring) of at least 0.457" - closest would be 1/2", If you're looking at centerline height, this will be 0.957" (closest = 1" centerline height).

The best (lowest, accuracy) fit would be

• Warne Maxima/Maxima QD rings in High (0.525" absolute)
  • Leupold PRW or QRW rings in High in High (1" centerline)

Most AR one-piece mounts will give a higher mounting, usually around 1.25"-1.5" centerline.

Edited by shibiwan

Being able to get an excellent cheek weld does wonders for the shooter's ability to get hits accurately.

In the pre-SAGE stock days, I could shoot my M1A more accurately with irons than with the ridiculously high scope, due to the ability to get a rigid cheek weld on the stock.

IMO the PRS series (or other adjustable butt-comb stocks) is the best solution.  I've chased ring heights on several rifles over the years and the cost of an adjustable comb height is well worth the extra cost, just from being able to go shooting instead of screwing with bases, rings, mounts.

I ended up ordering a 1 piece qd mount / 1.5" centerline.  I'm going to change my stock out to acheive a good cheek weld - I don't want to practice one weld with buis and a different one with scopes - I'd rather have that be uniform.  I think the buis could benefit from having the better cheek weld as well, to be honest.  I'll see how it works out anyway.  Maybe I'll end up regreting it ;)

Command Arms makes a riser that might work, but I'm betting adjustable comb will be the answer. The only problem is that I might have to give up the collapsable stock to do that, which I really wanted to keep.  Mako makes a collapsable sock with an adjustable comb; I need to research that and see what the internet thinks of it. 

I really won't know what I'm doing until the mount actually gets here and I can see what I need to do.

Command Arms makes a riser that might work, but I'm betting adjustable comb will be the answer. The only problem is that I might have to give up the collapsable stock to do that, which I really wanted to keep.  Mako makes a collapsable sock with an adjustable comb; I need to research that and see what the internet thinks of it. 

I really won't know what I'm doing until the mount actually gets here and I can see what I need to do.

If you get a riser, you'll want to check to make sure it doesn't interfere with the charging handle. The only one I know that retracts is the LaRue RISR for the CTR.

The objective is 40mm, so about 1.5".  I'm thinking a mount with a centerline height of 1.5" would work? 

Half that.

40mm objective.  Centerline of that, which you sight through, is 20mm up from the bottom of the scope.  You want the scope as close to the top of the rifle as possible.  Otherwise, you're losing range by way of Height-Over-Bore issues.

Your 1.5" centerline mount is gonna be WAY too high, man.

Reference pictures, this is a 50mm obj. w/ Butler Creek flip up caps mounted on a 1 piece mount with a 1.470 center line height. If my calculations are correct using the 1.50" centerline mounting height you'll be about 5/16" higher than my set up from the bottom of your front objective to the top of your rail.(7/16' to 1/2" above your rail)  I think Farkle is spot on at around 1.3" for a 40mm objective.

post-12582-0-81908200-1392101023_thumb.j

post-12582-0-74614600-1392101050_thumb.j

Edited by BLKSHEEP

Well, I'd hate to ignore all this advice from people who know way more about it than I do.  I'll order some rings and see which I like better, or at least which give me more utility.  Shibiwan was advocating Warne Maxima in High, .525" ring height.  That would let the eye piece clear the rear sights?  Or is that meant to be mounted in front of the rear sight?  Folded of course.

Well, I'd hate to ignore all this advice from people who know way more about it than I do.  I'll order some rings and see which I like better, or at least which give me more utility.  Shibiwan was advocating Warne Maxima in High, .525" ring height.  That would let the eye piece clear the rear sights?  Or is that meant to be mounted in front of the rear sight?  Folded of course.

Depending on how much eye relief and your cheek position, it's usually over or in front of the rear sight. The Troys are pretty small it's likely to go in front of the troy.

Warne measures differently - which is why this discussion is kinda important.  You guys need to know where these measurements are to/taken from, in order to get the right-height stuff.  ADM is different.

Warne measures to the bottom of the scope tube mounting area, not scope centerline.

ADM measures from mounting surface to scope centerline.

post-7-0-85992200-1392178517_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-53698400-1392179005_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

98 is right, I just spent much of yesterday afternoon doing the math and comparing the numbers between Warne and Burris, Warne steel QD were on back order from my guy.  .525 I think is not enough clearance for 30 mm tube and 50mm obj.  Picked up some Warne Maxima QD in Extra High .625 locally to see what that looks like,  if it is too much or too high will return and order the .525 Steel and wait.  

You have to review how each manufacture measures and do the math.  Typical bolt gun has a taper in the barrel and the receiver is higher by a certain degree.

I think my idea of being able to swap a $1,000.00 scope between the scout and the sr762 is going to be a PIA.

Good Luck with your plan I will update on how mine works out.

Taz

Well, I've got to say I'm kind of excited.  The 1 piece mount arrived today so I (very gingerly) mounted the scope.  I was actually pretty happy with it - was familiar with the cheek weld and was able to hold various shooting positions with repetition.  So I'm thinking if I like the too high mount, the correct height should be pretty freakin awesome.  Looking forward to trying out the rings.