• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Planning a new build

Rsquared

Just ordered a 7.5" Noveske SS barrel (5.56) and a KX3 brake. Building another shorty fella's (5 just aren't enough). HEY! I've been going through an SBR craze alright? Anyway. I'm trying to find a rail that the brake will fit inside. I'm going for a specific look on this one (you guys have never heard me say that before), and want just a portion of the brake to hang out of the rail. I like the Geissele rails (MK4) but the tolerance is gonna be waaaaaaayyy close (meaning tight). But I like their look. I also found the Samson EVO series of rails......but I like the Geissele better. I can always fall back to a YHM rail like I did on the 300 BLK shorty. It has a large enough I.D. (inner diameter) to fit the brake. But I try to have all of my rifles have their own unique look. And that would be repeating from a previous build design. I know, I know.......that's being kinda anal (not that way) about building these damn things.

Feel free to throw out any ideas you've got when it comes to rails. Just keep in mind that the KX3 has to be able to fit inside of it. And it can't be any longer than 10 inches (keep you're Aerosmith references to yourself).

STAY TUNED LADIES!

This one's gonna come together over the next couple of weeks. I've been getting the itch to build one.....since the last build was late last summer. After all, a guy's gotta do something to keep him out of trouble, right?

I sense more trouble headed your way... You have a lot on your plate brother good to see you moving forward!! The sickness is unfuckwitable with this one. I don't know why they push but I'm getting the feeling when it comes to builds!! I think I gave away a build to a friend so I can buy more parts? Crap. Good luck!

Just ordered a 7.5" Noveske SS barrel (5.56) and a KX3 brake. Building another shorty fella's (5 just aren't enough). HEY! I've been going through an SBR craze alright? Anyway. I'm trying to find a rail that the brake will fit inside. I'm going for a specific look on this one (you guys have never heard me say that before), and want just a portion of the brake to hang out of the rail. I like the Geissele rails (MK4) but the tolerance is gonna be waaaaaaayyy close (meaning tight). But I like their look. I also found the Samson EVO series of rails......but I like the Geissele better. I can always fall back to a YHM rail like I did on the 300 BLK shorty. It has a large enough I.D. (inner diameter) to fit the brake. But I try to have all of my rifles have their own unique look. And that would be repeating from a previous build design. I know, I know.......that's being kinda anal (not that way) about building these damn things.

Feel free to throw out any ideas you've got when it comes to rails. Just keep in mind that the KX3 has to be able to fit inside of it. And it can't be any longer than 10 inches (keep you're Aerosmith references to yourself).

STAY TUNED LADIES!

This one's gonna come together over the next couple of weeks. I've been getting the itch to build one.....since the last build was late last summer. After all, a guy's gotta do something to keep him out of trouble, right?

Ron, I'm gonna mess up your plans.  About the only rails that the KX3 fits inside of is the MI stuff, and some YHM stuff.  EDIT - There are other rails out there - can't recall them off the top of my head.  The KX3 is 1.375" in diameter, so it'll need to be something over that as an inner diameter...

Now, the KX5 is a different story...  I'm just sayin'...  Did you look at the KX5 yet?

EDIT - Pics of the KX3 inside the MI SS-10.  7.5" barrel, pistol gas, KX3.  The MI SS-10 fully covered the KX3 but about a 1/4" inch, so I chopped the SS-10 back a little.  Saved as much rail on top as I could, to kick the front sight as far forward as I could.  I cut the rail back to a shade over 8.5".

post-7-0-85090800-1392581127_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-72320500-1392581134_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-95142200-1392581139_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Hey Rob. I've got nothing against Vltor, but their rails seem to be designed to "jump" the delta ring.....which I won't have on this rifle. They make some nice stuff though.

AK, welcome to the forum by the way, the MI rails seem to be too tight (I.D. wise) for the Noveske brake that I want to use on this build. Though I do see that they have the Gen 1 SS series one piece rail that has enough internal real estate.

And Tom. You can't mess up the plan brother. After all, it's a "fluid and dynamic" plan. Everything's subject to change. I knew that it was gonna be tough to squeeze the "pig" into a rail. I just gotta find the right rail. That's why I'm waiting to get the barrel and brake in hand first. Then I'm gonna take measurements of them assembled and move on from there. And I did look at the KX5. A little slimmer profile on that one than the KX3. But I'm wanting the wider gaping "mouth" of the KX3. Like I said.....for the look that I'm going for. Similar to the build of yours that you showed in the pics above. As far as YHM rails....I like their stuff. That's what I used on the 300 BLK shorty that I built last summer/fall. I like their "smooth" line of rails. But I was just trying not to duplicate the overall appearance of another rifle. After all........they've all got their own attitude.

I'll find something soon enough. Keep throwing suggestions out guys. I don't have the full build etched in stone.